Nordic walking

I noticed recently that there is a Nordic Walking class held once a week near me.

Has anyone done this and what is involved? It advertises itself as burning 20 - 40% more calories than 'normal' walking.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Yes! You will be taught how to hold and use the poles, and you use them to propel yourself along at a much faster pace than normal walking, especially up hills. It really does burn more calories, you'll feel like you really worked and you get an upper-body workout into the bargain.!
  • samcorvus
    samcorvus Posts: 112 Member
    Nordic walking? Sounds like walking in chain mail with a horned helmet and axe. Heading towards the longship to go aviking. A little rapine, murder, pillage and burning. Awesome exercise program!
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    I am regular Nordic walker too. Great for toning bum, legs, abs, arms and pecs - and as you put a lot more effort into it than regular walking you do burn the calories at a faster rate. Great social exercise too if a load of you get out together..... talking can be a challenge up hills though - phew!

Good for it - I love it. I am really hacked off at the moment that the weather in the UK is so dismal that I am not getting in anywhere near as much as I would like to :frown:
  • cugglybear
    cugglybear Posts: 36 Member
    I have been going on walking in the rain, unless it's torrential. Well if I didn't I would never get out!! :laugh:

I feel tempted, but a bit nervous of the Nordic walking as I am afraid I won't be able to keep up. The class does say it's for beginners so I may take the plunge! The bits you describe certainly need toning. Lots of mountains where I live though :frown:
  • cugglybear
    cugglybear Posts: 36 Member
    AnnyaSB, I have found a nearby Nordic walking class and am going for a taster session tomorrow.

How do record your exercise on MFP as when I looked it up it isn't included in their list of exercises?