Screeching Hault.....Plateau Please Help

So I thought I would post this up and see if anyone here has suggestions. I started my journey out at 242 lbs and so far I have lost 74 lbs. While I do love the progress I have made I still have not reached my healthy goal weight of 137. I lost the first 74 lbs doing an exercise bike at home and a couple of workout DVD's. I decided after three months of not losing what I was used to I would join a gym. Since joining the gym my workouts have doubled. I do 30 mins of cardio 2 days a week and strength training on those days. The other 3 days I do 45-50 mins of cardio. I still watch what i eat and average 1200-1400 calories a day. Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Up your calories!
  • add a protein shake that is low in carbs and sugar (I like muscle milk light mixed with almond milk) for after your workout. cut carbs or try carb cycling to give your metabolism a reset/boost. add some strength training to increase muscle mass, and make sure you are checking measurements, which can be changing while no weight loss is occurring due to fat redistribution and muscle gain. also try adding calories, or taking a couple weeks off of restricting, just keep the carbs under control. :)
  • ryanlove12
    ryanlove12 Posts: 20
    I can help.. I need a few things from you though.. What type of workouts do you like? How much weight do you want to lose? Why do you REALLY want to lose it? I have a lot experience helping people through this.. and an awesome meal plan.

No Gimmicks.. Hard work for people who want to sacrifice
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Doing that much exercise you definitely need to increase your calories.
  • beckeyminch
    beckeyminch Posts: 6 Member
    I can help.. I need a few things from you though.. What type of workouts do you like? How much weight do you want to lose? Why do you REALLY want to lose it? I have a lot experience helping people through this.. and an awesome meal plan.

I want to lose 30ish more lbs. I enjoy the elliptical and the stairclimber. Burnt out on the bike and I prefer calisthenics over the machines but cant deal with the machines if it means I will lose the 30 lbs. I started this journey because I want to be healthy and that is still my main reason for wanting to lose it.

Ohhh and I cant choke down anymore chicken unless it tastes like something =)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    up your strength training to 3 days a week (skip a day in between - have a rest day or just do cardio on non strength days).

do strength training BEFORE cardio - always.

EAT MORE. Every time I have plateaued, I have upped my calories by about 200 (so up to 1600) and it has broken my plateau. I had gotten to 1800 -- finally plateaued again this past April. After a while of debating and trying other things (nothing worked) I upped my calories to 2000 -- and boom. started losing again. It works.

It gets harder to lose the less you have to lose and you have to change things up because your body is constantly striving for a state of equilibrium.
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member

I wanna see this too!
  • Kalraii
    Kalraii Posts: 89
    I second that it's muscle gain and fat % loss. MEASURE yourself weekly - your neck, your bust, your waist, your hips and thighs. I think when you get to a point and your body is this amazing workout machine it starts to pile on the muscle to make it work better but you're still shaving off the inches. Muscle weighs more than fat. I agree to the upping your intake - your body needs more to work on and because your burning so much don't think eating like above would = fat % weight gain. I'm no expert but it's just how I think of it in my mind in basic terms from what I have gathered over the years. GOOD LUCK and excellent job so far :)
  • ryanlove12
    ryanlove12 Posts: 20
    lol.. not a chicken fan huh.. I think I have a plan that will work. I'm going to send you a message with details
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Throw in some strength training. Also, you can get flavor in your chicken without making it unhealthy! Spices are your friends :) I had chicken breast last night that I just rubbed with salt and pepper and grilled, and it was very very tasty.