Unrealistic Goals?

Options
I am wanting to lose 80-100 pounds in 4 months. Is this unrealistic? I really hope not. I am a 30 something year old female with a small child so I don't have alot of time for exercise. I really get discouraged very easily and need to see results in order to continue with a diet. I read something on the internet that said you had to have a deficit of 2400 calories per day to lose 20 pounds in one month. I don't even have that many calories to eat per day.
I do want to be successful and I want to stick with this. I just need some advise.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yes, that is unrealistic. Even your 80 lb in 4 months is.

80lb/16wks=5 lb/wk

5lb/wk*3500cal/lb = 17,500 cal/wk deficit

17,500cal/wk/7day/wk = 2500 cal/day deficit.

Not only is it unrealistic, but thinking that way is not sustainable or healthy. How long did it take you to get 80-100 lb overweight? It will probably take you about that long to get it off. Your goal needs to be to change your lifestyle so that you are healthier for the rest of your life instead of a "quick fix diet" that doesn't teach you anything. Probably a healthy goal for you right now is about 1.5 lb/wk loss, which is a 750 cal/day deficit from your tdee.

That goal will change to 1 lb/wk, then 0.5 lb/wk as you lose weight and get closer to your goal.

(Edited because I used 3 months instead of 4)
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This is a joke.... You obviously can't be real.

So here is my unrealistic reply to your unrealistic question:

You want to lose 80lbs in four months but hate working out? Eat nothing but celery. At the end of each month, chop off a limb. In four months, that is four limbs and a lot of celery. You may have even hit your 100lb mark!

Please don't forget to post progress pics on the forums, we love those!
  • DonnaE77
    DonnaE77 Posts: 5
    Options
    i dont think it is unrealistic....I have been doing this for 16 weeks and have lost 70 pounds....I have not starved myself or gone without "treats" I just introduced exercise into my life and changed my food completely....I feel 100% better even tho i still have another 60 to lose
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    That way of thinking is completely unhealthy! If you need to see "instant results" then you're looking for a quick fix, which you're not going to get a lot of support with from people here.

1-2 pounds a week is your best bet... eating healthier with a small calorie deficit and some good old fashioned exercise will get you to your goal in about 9-10 months, and that will be sustainable. I would never condone someone losing 20 pounds a month... they do it on The Biggest Loser... but they have teams of medics there, AND they have a LOT more to lose.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Yes, unrealistic in that short of time but, VERY REALISTIC if you just want to lose it!

Just start working on yourself and your lifestyle and changing how you eat and just that will help. I understand how you feel about having time...I am away from home for work from 630am til at least 500pm most days and then we usually ahve to go pick up our daughter and then find time to eat and spend time with her. It is rough but, it is very possible to do.

I also want a quick fix but, I know it just isnt going to happen. BUT, I know a change CAN happen as long as it is given time to work. I jsut remember that I didnt put this weight on overnight so it wont come off overnight.

GOOD LUCK and feel free to add me as a friend for support and motivation...and any adviise I can give. :-)
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I was reading this "magic" diet pill review section online, and one of the responses said that they had lost 80lbs in 5 months with this certain pill.

While I'm like sure I would like to be 80lbs lighter in 5 months, ummm it just did not seem healthy and something that I could keep off long term. Plus I'm sure that weight loss that fast comes with flabby skin. Also I'm sure your body won't have that awesome glow it does when you lose weight slowly with excersise because drastic weight changes affect your organs as well as your pants size.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you have 200+ lbs to lose you may be able to but even then I would aim for 10lbs/month. If you only have 80 lbs to lose you should expect 2lbs/week now, then 1.5 when you have less than 70-75, then drop to 1 lb/week when 40lbs left, then to 0.5 for the last 15. So it should take at least a year to lose 80lbs, if you only have 80lbs to lose. If you have more than 80 to lose you should be able to lose it faster than what I showed above.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is unrealistic. Aim for losing 2 pounds a week and you can do the 100 in a little over a year.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you have 200+ lbs to lose you may be able to but even then I would aim for 10lbs/month. If you only have 80 lbs to lose you should expect 2lbs/week now, then 1.5 when you have less than 70-75, then drop to 1 lb/week when 40lbs left, then to 0.5 for the last 15. So it should take at least a year to lose 80lbs, if you only have 80lbs to lose. If you have more than 80 to lose you should be able to lose it faster than what I showed above.

This!!!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and you probably couldn't do it the way I did it.

I lost about that much first by doing the Atkins induction for 2 weeks, and then by playing fullcourt basketball for 2-4 hours a day. After the induction diet (2 weeks) I'd lost 15-20 lbs of water weight, and I switched to a somewhat healthy diet that was too low in protein and fat for what I should have been eating.

After losing the 80 lbs I was 5'10" 178 (sounds great, but I'm naturally a BIG guy) , I was probably 10% BF (again, not worth it), but for me had no muscle. I'd get dizzy spells, basically had erectile dysfunction at 24 (for men losing weight fast just saps your testosterone levels), and felt terrible all the time.

It'sa tough pill to swallow, but losing weight that fast is not healthy and won't end up sustainable in all likelihood.
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I was reading this "magic" diet pill review section online, and one of the responses said that they had lost 80lbs in 5 months with this certain pill.

While I'm like sure I would like to be 80lbs lighter in 5 months, ummm it just did not seem healthy and something that I could keep off long term. Plus I'm sure that weight loss that fast comes with flabby skin. Also I'm sure your body won't have that awesome glow it does when you lose weight slowly with excersise because drastic weight changes affect your organs as well as your pants size.

^^This.

Is the goal unrealistic? Probably, but not necessarily. The real question is: is it dangerous? YES!
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Your goals are unrealistic and extremely unhealthy. Losing 2lbs a week is the most you should do which comes out to roughly 8lbs a month.
  • andivaclavicek
    Options

You want to lose 80lbs in four months but hate working out? Eat nothing but celery. At the end of each month, chop off a limb. In four months, that is four limbs and a lot of celery. You may have even hit your 100lb mark!

:drinker:
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I also get discouraged easily and have failed every 'diet' going. This isn't a diet, it's a healthier way of life. I've been doing this since January and had a few blips along the way but I've lost 50lbs and have another 140 to go. It's not going to happen quickly and if it does, it will make you unwell and will not last. I'm currently on 1600 calories a day which is about 1.7lb loss per week. And it helps. I can't eat a mega low calorie diet as it just won't stick. Be sensible. As the above poster said, it didn't take 4 months to put it on so it won't come off the same speed either.

once you get into the swing of calorie counting, it does get easier.

Wishing you well on your journey.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could gain 80-100lbs in 4 months, let alone lose it! Yes, it's very unrealistic.

If you get discouraged because you don't see results, you might be missing the point. Instead of defining results as "x amount of pounds lost", define it another way: give yourself a generic fitness test- see how many pushups & situps you can do in 3 minutes. Then see how long it takes you to run/walk a mile. Make it a goal to beat those times in 3 months. Then go from there.

If you are "on a diet", its very easy to go OFF it. So don't go on a "diet". Just start making small changes to what you already eat. Try adding one vegetable to your meals each week. Adjust your portion sizes. Eliminate ONE item that's considered unhealthy.

Yes, small changes=slow progress, BUT it will be more likely to be permanent.

You can do this! Just give yourself a break & go easy.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

VERY RUDE-next time perhaps you should keep your "unrealistic reply" to yourself. This offered absolutely NO help to the op.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take it a week at a time. Who knows how much you are drop in a week. You maybe able to lose 20lbs in a month. But you need to be able to function also.

I would say go for 50 in four months. Take it a week at a time. Remember that its gonna be hard because you are asking your body to change. You are going to have bad days (we all do). But the people that are successful respond, rebound and get back on track. YOU CAN DO IT! And know that the more you push, the more your bounce back from bad days, the easier things get.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You pretty much just answered your own question: you have a high goal but you don't have a lot of time to work for it and will probably get discouraged if you don't see quick results.

Why 4 months? If you have a lot to lose you might lose 10 lbs the first month, most of that being water weight. After that it's slow and steady - especially if you want to keep it off. I won't go into it now but I highly recommend you check out the blog http://thisisnotadiet-itsmylife.com/ It's written by a woman who lost over 120 pounds and has kept it off for 2 years now. She writes about how she changed her perspective on weight loss and how it helped her lose weight and maintain it.
  • lehmann75
    lehmann75 Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't think having a small child is an excuse - it's a great workout opportunity! Take your kid to the park and play with them. Walk around the zoo. Play tag and get some cardio. Go to the pool and get in splash fights - water provides great resistance for strength training. Engaging with children IS a workout!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    yes, that is unrealistic. Even your 80 lb in 4 months is.

80lb/16wks=5 lb/wk

5lb/wk*3500cal/lb = 17,500 cal/wk deficit

17,500cal/wk/7day/wk = 2500 cal/day deficit.

Not only is it unrealistic, but thinking that way is not sustainable or healthy. How long did it take you to get 80-100 lb overweight? It will probably take you about that long to get it off. Your goal needs to be to change your lifestyle so that you are healthier for the rest of your life instead of a "quick fix diet" that doesn't teach you anything. Probably a healthy goal for you right now is about 1.5 lb/wk loss, which is a 750 cal/day deficit from your tdee.

That goal will change to 1 lb/wk, then 0.5 lb/wk as you lose weight and get closer to your goal.

(Edited because I used 3 months instead of 4)

^^ this

Yes your goal is very unrealistic. You should aim for a 1-2lb loss per week at most. Some weeks I lose more, some weeks I lose less, and some weeks I don't lose at all or I gain. Setting realistic goals for yourself is very important. I want to drop 23lbs in 6 months to a year. I don't have "end date" though. I aim to be healthy so as long as I know I'm doing what's right for my body I don't really care how long it takes me to get there. I make goals now that are more like "I will workout 5-6 days this week" or "I will drink 9-12 glasses of water every day" or "I will eat a salad when we go out to dinner". Those goals make me feel better than saying "I will drop 5 pounds by this time". Good luck to you and I hope you find the support you need!