medical issues

Options
jgarf4me
jgarf4me Posts: 33 Member
Hi all
I am on a 6 day a week training which includes yoga, pilates, dance, resistance and aerobic - 57 years old
Most of my sessions are 2 + hours and dance can be 3 or 4 hours which includes the actual training and an hour stretch.
I have been focused on increasing flexibility as injuries years ago have made me very tight. Over the last 14 months i went from 25% body fat to 14.5% body fat and increased muscle about 12 pounds. This is wihtout any seriosu lifitng its all resistance . all of this is done with trainer advice weekly. all of this is done in addition to full time job
current Schedule is
monday -stretch only -1 hour
tuesday -stretch 1 hour am ....... pilates 1 hour am , yoga 45 minutes pm
wednesday --stretch am 1 hour ,,,,, resistance training 1 hour pm,, stretch 45 minutes
thursday dance 2-3 hours with breaks,, stretch 30 minutes
friday off
satruday pilates 1 hour,, , stretch 1 hour
sunday dance 2-3 hours stretch 1.5 hours

My heart rate has gone down to 60 at a resting pace from about 72 before hand. I wear a sports watch to monitor everything

In any case, i recently "passed out" on a plane and had to wear a heart monitor which showed a skipped heartbeat of 2.7 seconds.

Has anybody else experienced that and is that possibly from over training which i think i am doing at my age of 57
Thanks for the help

Replies

• angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    dunno what to make of that. i know alot of people pass out when they dont eat enough and if there blood pressure is too low, am not convinced it has been entirely caused by the amount you do as your doing gentle sort of excercises, however those yoga positions require some odd head movements and i find i get dizzy doing some i no longer do those excerises anymore. I really think your best off asking your gp/doctor and getting a few more tests done.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    That's definitely something for a doctor.
  • jgarf4me
    Options
    thanks
    that is definitely a part of it i think. when i have long sessions i dont eat and my nutritionist lectured me that i wasnt eating enough food, plus i have low blood pressure usually around 110 over 65 but when i stand it drops further
  • bear7jeep
    bear7jeep Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree that this is something for a doctor. Might be something more for a cardiologist than a GP. A few year ago I dealt with the occasional passing out. Physically my heart was in great shape but something electrical was occasionallly causing my heart rate to drop without notice. Caught the heart rate on a hospital heart monitor dropping to about 20 bpm ( 3 sec skips). The passing out is not really a big problem. It's the timing of when it happens that can be extremely dangerous. Hopefully you can feel it coming on. I could not and two bad car accidents later (one with my kids) we finally got the problem fixed. The point I'm trying to make here is to please take this serious and work with your doctor. It may be nothing serious but do you want to take that chance. BTW, I just turned 49 this year.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    Go see a cardiologist for sure. Better to safe than sorry when it comes to your ticker!
  • jgarf4me
    Options
    thanks mine was similar i didnt know it was going to happen. Fortunately a big guy was getting up on the plance(which is why is stood up to get out of hisway and passed out) and he caught me before i hurt myself. HIw did they fix your heart>?
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is one for the doctor. Make sure you are eating enough of healthy foods, not skipping on nutrients or taking weight loss anything! Those can be dangerous!
  • bear7jeep
    bear7jeep Posts: 4
    Options
    Before I add to my earlier post I want to be clear that your situation is likely completely different than mine and you need to figure this out with your doctor. Having said that the heart doc started me on meds. Only happened a couple of times a year. After driving into a tree with my kids in the car the docs concluded that the meds were not working so now I have a pace maker. It's not as big a deal as you might think. Very few restrictions and best of all no more black outs. It's been 3 years and I've let my weight get away from me a little so here I am just getting started. The PM basically is set so that no beat is less than 60 bpm. There are a lot of things that could be going on here so only your doctor can help you figure it out. Good luck and may God bless you