Hit a Plateau, any advice?

Options

Replies

• Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I've hit the same thing. I've lost 42lbs so far and now nothing. I'm 5ft 3 & eating 1200 cals a day. I'm not particularly mobile (I have arthritis from the neck down). I'm swapping my meals around, so my main meal will now be a lunch time. Hoping that works.

I think you need to do something more than that. More like up your calories a day or two and then lower them for a day. If your not mobile from arthritis can't you do things in the water? You need to fool your body into thinking your feeding it more so it will start releasing fat for burning again
    agree. I would also like to state that 80% of weight loss is your nutrition and 20% is exercise. Calories are easy to build depending on what you eat that wont make you full. Find things with lots of calories like peanut butter/almond butter that are not really filling but are good for you and have high calorie count. I have noticed most women on here aiming for 1200. I cannot say if that is correct but eating a few hundred more wont make you gain weight, especially if your exercising.
  • weightlossloser13
    Options
    I recently read an article that was talking about how to deal with plateaus, because they are an inevitability for everyone trying to lose weight. The article suggested changing up your calories for a little bit:

If you are eating a low carb diet, switch to a high carb one, or vice versa. Or if you averaging 1500 calories a day, drop to 1200, then go up to 2000, and then drop back to 1500. Basically, your body has gotten comfortable, so switch things up and remind it that it's supposed to be burning that extra fat!
  • Audylew
    Audylew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that the body will get used to something and not react in the desired manner after so long. Changing the eating for a day of more intake followed by lower intake on occasion helps. Changing around your workouts to keep the muscles guessing is good also.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I recently read an article that was talking about how to deal with plateaus, because they are an inevitability for everyone trying to lose weight.

Not really inevitable. I've never hit a plateau.
  • Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    I recently read an article that was talking about how to deal with plateaus, because they are an inevitability for everyone trying to lose weight.

Not really inevitable. I've never hit a plateau.

I think as long as you know what your doing and do not let it become too routine, then plateau's should be avoided.(maybe lol)
  • dh2312
    dh2312 Posts: 33
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for all the great info and support!

After doing some research and reading some of the EAT MORE 2 WEIGH LESS blog, I have decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1600 a day, a 20% cut from my TDEE. I am on day 4 of it so we will see at the end of the week how it works.

And based off some of your replies, no I guess I can't call this a "true plateau" for it's only been about 2 weeks of no scale movement or inches lost, but I also haven't been exercising like I once was, so consistently.

I am okay with upping my calories though for I have read so many different articles on how you should never be below your BMR, and should not be at 1200 calories/day.

As far as my exercise goes, I started 30 day shred again and am also doing Jackie Warner's strength training dvd, so working out for a total of about 45 minutes 7 days/week. I burn about 200 calories on average each day from exercise.

Weigh in day is sunday so we will see how it goes! I feel much more energized with the 1600 calories, and a lot less stressed on trying to stay under 1200. I hope it works!

Thanks all!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 at 148lbs and am eating 1200 calories a day, or at least trying to stick to that number. I've hit a plateau at this point and am not losing anymore. Wondering if I should raise my calories to about 1400, or cut carbs or something?

Knowing nothing about you, but knowing a lot about plateaus, I am going to offer basic suggestions, which you seem to already know:

1. Increase calories. You suggested 1,400, sure, go with that, but do it for 2-3 weeks and see if there is a difference.
    2. Change your work out routine. Confuse your body.
    3. You don't have to cut out carbs completely, but I noticed when I hit plateaus, if I LIMIT them, the weight starts dropping again. Everyone can say "Oh, it's water weight, it will come right back when you eat carbs again" and I call BS. As long as you don't eat five servings of pasta for break fast, lunch and dinner after, you are fine.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Have you tried interval training on the treadmill? It is what helped me. I also started clean eating, fruits, veggies, lean meats. It heled me lose all my weight.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    Options
    Simply put...EAT MORE!
  • dh2312
    Options
    I am 5'5 at 148lbs and am eating 1200 calories a day, or at least trying to stick to that number. I've hit a plateau at this point and am not losing anymore. Wondering if I should raise my calories to about 1400, or cut carbs or something?

Knowing nothing about you, but knowing a lot about plateaus, I am going to offer basic suggestions, which you seem to already know:

1. Increase calories. You suggested 1,400, sure, go with that, but do it for 2-3 weeks and see if there is a difference.
    3. You don't have to cut out carbs completely, but I noticed when I hit plateaus, if I LIMIT them, the weight starts dropping again. Everyone can say "Oh, it's water weight, it will come right back when you eat carbs again" and I call BS. As long as you don't eat five servings of pasta for break fast, lunch and dinner after, you are fine.

Thank you for the tips! I have increased my calories to 1600 and yes I know I should decrease my carb intake, its a hard change for me though for I love cereal, bagels, sandwiches, pasta etc. But I am going to make an effort. Any suggestions on how much of carbs you should cut exactly? Is it like only have bread at 1 meal during the day??
  • dh2312
    Options
    Simply put...EAT MORE!

and i am thank you, we will see how sundays weigh in goes!
  • dh2312
    Options
    Have you tried interval training on the treadmill? It is what helped me. I also started clean eating, fruits, veggies, lean meats. It heled me lose all my weight.

i know i need to eat more clean, and thats a challenge that i am willing to take so thank you for the advice. as far as the treadmill goes, when i am in school yes i have done such workouts but not now during the summer for i don't have access to a treadmill. but thank you for the advice! i have been doing 30ds and some strength training dvds, which i read help to burn fat and lose inches.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    For sure, steady and lasting weight loss, metabolism is key. We need to keep it rev'd up to burn fat.
    Sometimes, we seem to be doing everything right, then hit the dreaded "plateau" where the body has reached a state of equilibrium. So, how do we punch through?
    You change up your whole program to keep your body guessing. That works as a proactive measure, yet in most cases people experiencing a plateau have overreached and are not eating enough.
    Here is a great article on breaking through.
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for all the great info and support!

After doing some research and reading some of the EAT MORE 2 WEIGH LESS blog, I have decided to up my calories from 1200 to 1600 a day, a 20% cut from my TDEE. I am on day 4 of it so we will see at the end of the week how it works.

And based off some of your replies, no I guess I can't call this a "true plateau" for it's only been about 2 weeks of no scale movement or inches lost, but I also haven't been exercising like I once was, so consistently.

I am okay with upping my calories though for I have read so many different articles on how you should never be below your BMR, and should not be at 1200 calories/day.

As far as my exercise goes, I started 30 day shred again and am also doing Jackie Warner's strength training dvd, so working out for a total of about 45 minutes 7 days/week. I burn about 200 calories on average each day from exercise.

Weigh in day is sunday so we will see how it goes! I feel much more energized with the 1600 calories, and a lot less stressed on trying to stay under 1200. I hope it works!

Thanks all!

There is nothing wrong with eating below your BMR as long as you are strength training.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Thank you for the tips! I have increased my calories to 1600 and yes I know I should decrease my carb intake, its a hard change for me though for I love cereal, bagels, sandwiches, pasta etc. But I am going to make an effort. Any suggestions on how much of carbs you should cut exactly? Is it like only have bread at 1 meal during the day??

Different things work for different people. For myself, I am 5'2" and 175lbs. I am striving to limit my carbs to 70g per day, and increasing my protein to 120-150g per day. The carbs I eat are not from breads and starches, but from fruits and veggies. If I remove them completely, I will fail. So if there is something I want, I strive to eat a few tiny bites. Last nights dinner included coleslaw, so I had three tiny fork fulls. The night before I made home made mashed potatoes from scratch, I had a tiny amount... night before that... home made brownies with a peanut butter/nutella topping... tiny brownie. Indulge to satisfy the craving, but just really limit it!
  • JGunccRugby
    Options
    When I hit any sort of plateau I have a day or meal where I eat what I like for1-2 meals. Usually a basket of wings and fried jalapeños or a big country breakfast will fill the bill. I also do this on Saturdays and have a few light beers at the pool. The result is usually a lot of water weight which makes me:
    A, make me feel guilty thus pushing me harder
    B, cure cravings
    C, result in a 1-2 pound loss in the next 5 days
    D, I know I'm carrying water weight so I work harder to sweat it out
    E, reminds me why the foods I love are bad for me on a regular basis

Your mind can be your best friend or worst enemy. These are things I do but that doesn't make them suitable for everyone.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating below your BMR as long as you are strength training.

Thats not what that article says....
    It says keeping muscle mass is important to keeping a higher BMR, and resistance training is important in keeping muscles mass when eating a deficit.

It mentions that a group of people eating less than their BMR, with some lifting and some doing aerobics, the ones doing aerobics lost more muscle then the ones lifting.

It says the ones lifting gained a pound of muscles eating less than their BMR. Which is flawed as it does not tell up for how long, or home much body fat% the people who gained had, or if they had previous lifting experience.

It says it came from the May 2008 Issue of Obesity. So one must assume the people had a high BF%, and probably were new to lifting. Anyone new to lifting will most likely see gains, and having a big BF% will allow you to more easily gain while in a deficit.
  • findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    For sure, steady and lasting weight loss, metabolism is key. We need to keep it rev'd up to burn fat.
    Sometimes, we seem to be doing everything right, then hit the dreaded "plateau" where the body has reached a state of equilibrium. So, how do we punch through?
    You change up your whole program to keep your body guessing. That works as a proactive measure, yet in most cases people experiencing a plateau have overreached and are not eating enough.
    Here is a great article on breaking through.
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

As a former personal trainer, this seems to be the most sound advise in this thread. One other thing to consider, exercise burn out tends to do the same thing; however there isn't enough information in this thread or your profile to make a proper assessment.

Changing up your exercise routine can be a simple thing to do. You do not have to totally revamp it unless you are that bored with it. Remember, the human body is designed to CONSERVE energy and to maintain metabolic equilibrium. As you change up your exercise program, this will throw your system "out of whack" and you will burn more calories and drop body fat.

One last piece of advise, STOP using your scale as the tell all regarding your progress. It should only be used a guide. If you can get your body fat % measured and go be that. The easiest way to tell if you are making progress is how your clothes are fitting. I had a female client in California some years ago crying because she wasn't loosing weight (and because her a-hole husband was telling her she was wasting her time.) I asked a simple question to her:

"Remember when you came in here and you told me you wanted to fit your old smaller jeans? Are you wearing them now?" She smiled and continued her exercise program.

Plateaus are a normal part of exercise programs for those who have not been provided the information. Now you know plateaus can be avoided by simple changes in your exercise program every 3-4 months.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thats not what that article says....
    It says keeping muscle mass is important to keeping a higher BMR, and resistance training is important in keeping muscles mass when eating a deficit.

It mentions that a group of people eating less than their BMR, with some lifting and some doing aerobics, the ones doing aerobics lost more muscle then the ones lifting.

It says the ones lifting gained a pound of muscles eating less than their BMR. Which is flawed as it does not tell up for how long, or home much body fat% the people who gained had, or if they had previous lifting experience.

It says it came from the May 2008 Issue of Obesity. So one must assume the people had a high BF%, and probably were new to lifting. Anyone new to lifting will most likely see gains, and having a big BF% will allow you to more easily gain while in a deficit.

If you dive into the details more, you will see many of these were on vlcd (800-1200) and on liquid diets. What I am saying though, you can eat below BMR and not have an adverse affect on your metabolism. And I have yet to see any study on obese or normal weight person that suggest eating below your BMR will affect your metaboic rate.