Am I kidding myself??

Options
bjdw1
bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
After having never run in my life I started a C25K program five weeks ago (4 weeks to go). There is a half marathon in my town on November 17. I'm managing the steps C25K program by pushing myself (I haven't been interested in being fit until a few months ago).

Is running a half marathon in 3 1/2 months from now an unrealistic goal?

Replies

• Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have coached a (male) work colleague from zero running to doing Cardiff Half in under 2 hours in 3 months.

If you're mechanically efficient and not injury prone with a normal level of fitness then 3 months is perfectly fine.

Google "Hal Higdon" and have a look at his beginner half mara training plans.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to, however that is a lofty goal. I say maybe try a 5k first then if it feels good, give it a go and do it for the learning experience. P.s. I am not a runner but I do encourage people to challenge themselves :). Good luck whatever your decision!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    After having never run in my life I started a C25K program five weeks ago (4 weeks to go). There is a half marathon in my town on November 17. I'm managing the steps C25K program by pushing myself (I haven't been interested in being fit until a few months ago).

Is running a half marathon in 3 1/2 months from now an unrealistic goal?
    Running a 5k or running a half are nothing alike, just because you can do one, does not mean you can do the other. I ran half’s several times a year, for years. But every time I entered a short race I brewed up, and ending up walking.
    But for your question, it depends on how much free time you have, can you spare the time to run 5 days a week one being on a weekend. If so then yes you have plenty of time to train.
    Start slow, and pick three days to train, you need to do at least a short run of say 5k, a training day where you do hills and fartlec, and a longer slower run on the weekend.
    In 4 weeks time you should start to increase you shorter run until you can run 6 miles, and you longer run you should aim to be running between 10 and 11 miles three weeks before the race. (if you can do 10 miles you can do 13 miles) by week 7 you should increase the days you are running. Running is mostly mental, once you can run 5 miles; you can run 7 miles or 10 miles. Only your mind can stop you.
    Your weekly Mileage depends on what you want from the race.
    If you just want to Run it and finish, 1 ½ times the distance (1 ½ x 13.1 =19.6 miles a week in the last month of training)
    If you want to run it and feel good when you finish 2 times the distance (26.2 miles a week in the last month of training)
    If you want to race 3 times the distance. (39 miles a week …
  • galaxyrunner
    galaxyrunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! Why did you put 3 1/2 months? You're just a couple days off 4! Haha...

According to the 2nd page of this article I found on WebMD, (sorry, this is my first post and I haven't learned how to put in links yet):

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/marathon-training-tips-for-beginners

you'll be within the "ideal training time" of 3 months for half-marathons--this is because it will take you 4 weeks to run the minimum "3 miles, 3x/week" required for the programs they had in mind. Generally speaking, there won't be a problem if everything goes well. :D Remember to follow training plans, though, to avoid injury. And research! :)

I wish you the best! :) I'm still in Week 1 now and I hope to accomplish what you're doing by December.
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    totally doable. you need about 10 weeks to train, assuming you can run 3 miles to start with. Sign yourself up - that's excellent motivation.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    My totally non professional opinion on it is that it's possible, but perhaps you should try running a couple shorter distances first. Try a 5K and a 10K. Then decide. But, I guess that really isn't absolutely necessary. I mean my first race was the marathon. Yup, no 5k's, 10k's, or half's, nada... very first was the marathon LOL. So do what ya want and good luck!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I say no! Go for it. Train and eat better, sounds like you made youself a goal. now go get it. I think its fantastic. You gotta try it, that way you can say you did it! You might find that it opens a whole new healthy life style you didnt even know you were capable of achevieng. God Speed!!:bigsmile:
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It's very well possible. Try a Galloway program, it might get you there quicker than C25k.
  • tyspicer
    tyspicer Posts: 4
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon this February only 2 and a bit months after having a baby. I did not run at all throughout my pregnancy and had only been running for a short time before that. It is possible if you have the time to do the training, don't do too much too soon. Find a pro if you can that can set you a plan that you can stick to. Good Luck! Let us know how you do.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    There are lots of 12 week training programs for half marathons...just Google them and pick one. Hal Higgdon has good ones, and I know one specifically for novice runners. I used one of his programs for a half I ran in May.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't typically accept the term "unrealistic goal", I've seen way too many people conquer harder obstacles to say anything is unrealistic. Just get after it and do your best. If you don't get it the first time use that as motivation for the next one.
  • bjdw1
    bjdw1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You guys are great! Thanks, for your comments, very motivating.

I'm gonna sign up. I'm also gonna sign up for a 5k that's happening in about 4 weeks from now (can't remember the exact date at the mo').

Thanks again.