Best way to lose weight and tone

Options
Im trying to get down to 220 by eating right and exercising....but whats the best way to lose weight and tone without gaining weight from building muscle???

Replies

• dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Eat right, cardio & weight lifting. You shouldn't worry too much about what the scale says if it goes up due to muscle mass. Over time that increase in muscle mass will also increase your metabolism which will result in increased fat burning. It's a win-win so don't hesitate to life because of a stupid number on the scale. That number will go down in time. Just remember, diet is a huge part of it so if you are loading up on bad fats and carbs you are just making more fat stores on your body. Good luck!
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I hold more value in how many inches I lose as opposed to how much I've lost from the scale. If you don't want to be lifting heavy just do body weight exercises to tone up instead, but as it's been said gaining muscle mass is super beneficial in the long run :)
  • rollieorial
    rollieorial Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The post above sums it all nicely.

Just reading on toning and leaning up yesterday myself and confirmed that losing fat will uncover muscle mass you already have and will result in a more toned look. You can achieve this by proper diet and exercise. Now the details come: proper diet means creating a calorie deficit where MFP helps a lot. exercise means cardio AND strength training. You can look into High Intensity Interval Training to increase the effect of your workouts and cut your workout time too.

Anyway, good luck!
  • Jalyst79
    Jalyst79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Use Resistance bands!
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Muscle is heavy so the scale is going to go up.. But muscle burns fat don't focus on scale.. Focus on NSV( how ur clothes feel, how u look, how many inches u lose.. When u build muscle is hard for the scale not to go up!! Focus on body fat percentage!! U can do it cutie !!
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I hold more value in how many inches I lose as opposed to how much I've lost from the scale. If you don't want to be lifting heavy just do body weight exercises to tone up instead, but as it's been said gaining muscle mass is super beneficial in the long run :)
    ^^^^ I
    Agree
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    1. Think of this as a lifestyle change, not a weight-loss goal. When it comes to long-term weight maintenance, "I want to lose weight" is not going to keep the weight off as effectively as "I want to be a fit, healthy person that lives longer, without disease."

2. Transform your diet, so that is made of REAL, whole foods, not "processed, chemically engineered calorie product." Good carbs: from WHOLE sources like oats, barley, brown rice, quinoa, fruits and root vegetables (cereals are ok, as long as they're WHOLE-grain NOT MULTIGRAIN). Good fats: olive oil, LOW-FAT dairy, avocados, nuts, butter (not margarine!). Good protein: beans, lentils, edemame, fish, and occasional meat: poultry a few times a week, beef and pork once a week. Eat as many green veggies as you can in a day. Veggies are packed with vitamins and minerals, so make this your only hard-fast rule: Your body can't be lean without the green.

Whole foods typically have less calories than processed ones, so it's a win-win.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    why worry about the scale? take measurements, take a mental note of how your clothes fit, take pictures.
    Scales are the devil...learned that a longgg time ago!

lift heavy with less reps increasing your weight each week or so, so your body doesn't get used to the workout.
    eat clean not less.
  • shizz230
    shizz230 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks alot for the helpful tips, advice and feedback, I appreciate you all
  • shizz230
    shizz230 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you all