Alcohol!

Options
Please help... It's taken me almost a year to lose 50lbs on weight watchers... i got bored with the program and needed a change so i joined MFP. So far so good. However... Im 27, single, and just about every weekend consists of social events including alcohol... Lately i try and bank up my calories by not eating during the day before i drink so I dont go over, but then after a few drinks im starving and i dash for taco bell! Its vicious cycle... suggestions please??? What are low cal drinks and/or how do you guys stay within your daily budget when drinking?

Replies

• mrsmooski
    mrsmooski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Great job on losing 50lbs! I personally like gin & tonic with lime...very light and summery. It's a simple drink that's not sugary. You can even save more calories by substituting the tonic with club soda! Keep it simple! :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest, I pretty much quit drinking because I'd rather eat my calories. If you can't picture yourself without drinking, that might be a different issue, but I'm not here to preach or be a hypocrit! In fact I got hammered last Saturday (I typically do twice a year). Anyways you can drink & eat if you want. It's just a matter of what you're eating. Long story short if you concentrate on lean proteins while buzzed you'll be better off. Your body processes alcohol first before all other calories, moving other calories to storage (fat).

Here's a VERY good article on alcohol that explains it in detail far better than I can:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Flavored vodka + soda water = terrific

Basically a little under 100 calories each, and are tasty and strong.
  • LydsVille77
    LydsVille77 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest, I pretty much quit drinking because I'd rather eat my calories. If you can't picture yourself without drinking, that might be a different issue, but I'm not here to preach or be a hypocrit! In fact I got hammered last Saturday (I typically do twice a year). Anyways you can drink & eat if you want. It's just a matter of what you're eating. Long story short if you concentrate on lean proteins while buzzed you'll be better off. Your body processes alcohol first before all other calories, moving other calories to storage (fat).

Here's a VERY good article on alcohol that explains it in detail far better than I can:

Yes... Im thinking I like eating my calories a lot more than drinking them...
  • socalsweetheart87
    socalsweetheart87 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    when i was in a drinking stage of my life .... i would either

1. shots with diet soda... like rum with diet Pepsi (or hey shots and water)

or

2. (when i didn't eat alllll day for it)......for each drink id blend a cup of fruit, shot of something and either diet sprite, the walmart flavored waters, crystal lite ... so it would make something like a margarita ish....
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Great job on losing 50lbs! I personally like gin & tonic with lime...very light and summery. It's a simple drink that's not sugary. You can even save more calories by substituting the tonic with club soda! Keep it simple! :)

Shasta and Schweppes both produce zero calorie Diet Tonic Water alongside the regular Tonic Water. I have used it as a mixer before and was quite pleased with the taste.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't care for vodka or gin but I do like Rum and Cola. I don't do diet drinks (can't have the artificial sweeteners) but I don't want all the sugar. I found a soft drink that uses Stevia to sweeten it and it's perfect! Only calories are from the Rum and isn't too bad so I can enjoy myself without feeling like I'm ruining everything.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Yes... Im thinking I like eating my calories a lot more than drinking them...

I meant to offer this up previously, but forgot:

If you want the buzz I like vodka & water...good for about 60 cals a shot.

If you want to feel like you're partying, Miller 64 and Bud Light 55 are decent it just takes a lot to "catch one". The flip side is you can drink a 12 pack for ~700 cals :)

There's always the "4:20" approach that's calorie free, if you're into that sorta' thing.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I used to drink heavy but no more.
    It's unhealthy and makes us fat.
    I enjoy wine with a fabulous meal, and an occasional beer with boiled shrimp, but booze is NOT a part of my life.
    And people trying to lose weight who abuse alcohol? Forget it.
    We can have most anything we want in life but NOT everything.
    Nobody can booze it up and expect to achieve optimal health.
    That's reality.
    Decide what is important to you, because starving yourself just to booze it up is depriving your body of nutrition just as add empty calories later.
    What do you want?
    Either drink a few drinks in moderation or live and die fat.
    You can't have great health and bad food intake.
    Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Why not just have a few...200 calories, then switch to tonic water on the rocks?
    Have fun; you don't need to get sloshed to let loose and enjoy life.
  • Judgetaney
    Judgetaney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, maybe give up the social events fo 6 months and see if that is really the issue.
  • chelle866
    chelle866 Posts: 53
    Options
    hiya :), i tend to go for vodka and tonic, i save quite a few calories during the week and then treat myself to a few vodka and tonics, also i make sure i have something prepared at home to look forward to so i know im not tempted to get a big juicy kebab, normally whatever i have for dinner i will half and have the other half when i roll in x
  • Stuz359
    Stuz359 Posts: 81
    Options
    Vodka and Soda Water. Tastes pretty much of nothing but soda water but if you don't go insane with it it;s possible to incorporate it into your lifestyle.

My social life is pretty much built around drinking too, so I had to change my habits or give up my social life.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    The alcohol.... I quit smoking in May 2009, quit drinking July 2010 and just started going out again once a week. Hubby has worked with me to go to bars that sell MGD64 or Mich Ultra if I have to - not my preferred drinks, but for 64 cals or 95, I'll do it. I'm lucky that I don't want to eat when I drink so that pretty much isn't a problem. HOWEVER, one of the reasons I gained all my weight was going with hubby and then eating with him before bed back from 2006-2010. What I do now is make the food BEFORE we go out, that way it's already planned. One of our favorite things is that I'll make us a skillet pizza when we get home, but I'll have the ingredients already cut up - I'll have the sauce measured out or tomatoes cut, the cheese shredded and measured, onions, red peppers, etc already cut up and weighed. This way I can't be "lazy" and say it's easier to had to a fast food place instead! I feel so much better making those "preplanned" smart choices that I don't need to have that "i ate too much" guilt hanging over me!
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options

That's what I stick to as well. Add a lemon/lime wedge if you need a little more flavor.

When keeping my calories low I find I get buzzed a lot quicker too, so I consciously limit my drinks. More drinks means lower inhibitions means making poor eating choices later.

If you KNOW you'll be drinking and not eating for several hours out, save 100-200 calories for a healthy snack when you get home and plan it out. Even leave it out, so you don't reach for something else.
  • LydsVille77
    Options

^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Why not just have a few...200 calories, then switch to tonic water on the rocks?
    Have fun; you don't need to get sloshed to let loose and enjoy life.

Thank you! Im gona try this one!
  • LydsVille77
    Options
    Vodka and Soda Water. Tastes pretty much of nothing but soda water but if you don't go insane with it it;s possible to incorporate it into your lifestyle.

My social life is pretty much built around drinking too, so I had to change my habits or give up my social life.

A few of these would do the happy hour trick. :) Thanks
  • LydsVille77
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. To clarify... my problem isnt limiting my drinking... just not knowing enough about which alcohol is what calories. I appreciate the feedback.
  • jly33403
    jly33403 Posts: 49
    Options
    I normally drink vodka and water, then when the drunchies kick in, rather than going to Taco Bell or some sort, I convince my friends to go to the diner. There my friends can get their bacon and whatever while I get an egg white omelet with broccoli or spinach.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    DO NOT fast all day and then go drink. Eat like you normally would, otherwise binging on taco bell will occur :).
    My advice is if you know that you are going out that night, work out before hand and save up some extra calories. That's what I usually do. Then, stick with diet mixers (rum and diet coke, whiskey and diet coke, gin and tonic, etc.) or light beers. That usually holds me steady. Plus, anymore, I only need 4 drinks (~400 cals with the drinks mentioned) before I feel good haha.