couch to 5k

Options
I was wondering if anyone has tired the couch to 5k and has lost weight on it. I am only on the third week but I lost three pounds and then gained one back. I do not find it too difficult and I normally run more than what they say. I also have been staying on a 1500 calorie diet. I am 5'8 179 pounds.

Replies

• msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5K in March and didn't loose a single pound until week 6. I was loosing inches, but the scale wasn't moving. It will move eventually.......just keep going. :o)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started on it and struggling with day one. I am hoping to get to that point next week where I can do Day 1 just how it says without vomiting! :laugh:

I think when they thought of "couch potato" they weren't thinking of me! :smokin: :laugh: :tongue:
  • cfranklin10
    cfranklin10 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    C25K is GREAT, and I think you'll find loads of people here who've done it. I did it about a year ago -- couldn't run for more than sixty seconds at a stretch when I started, but c25K got me to running for 30 minutes at a time. Now I'm running for up to an hour on my long runs. And I NEVER was a runner...heck, I never really exercised (which is why I wound up needing MFP...). It supplemented my weight loss, yes, but more important, it helped me to get fit!

Listen to your body as you go, and if you need to repeat a day (or a week), go right ahead and do it.

There is a "Couch to 5K" group here on MFP you oughta join, too!

Best wishes!
  • susanb8500
    susanb8500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I loved the C25K program. It helped me lose a few pounds, but not many. My weight loss depends almost entirely on what I am eating. What I loved about the program was how empowered I felt after running. You can modify the program to meet your individual goals/needs. I noticed the muscles in my legs standing out more and less jiggle on my legs as well.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I finished the C25K about a month ago. IDK if it cause the weight loss or the combaination of diet and running (considering I wasn't exercising at all anything was a plus) I have lost - at last weigh in 25lbs in about 3 months. But its the body transformation that I'm loving! My legs a toning up things aren't so jiggly anymore. It's a great program stick with it. I'm up to 3.5 miles and still going!
  • MelissaBoquet
    MelissaBoquet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome C25K application for my phone. It tracks your distance and how fast you went as well as keeps you on target with time. It also lets you play music from your list or from pandora while you run. It is called C25K run double.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You may or may not lose weight doing C25K because weight loss really depends on what you're eating. You will, however, build up the muscles in your legs, improve your cardiovascular health and achieve an improved overall level of fitness.

I will caution you against running more often than 3 times per week. That way lies injury. I can't tell you how many times I've read posts from new-to-C25K members who are complaining of an injury because they were either running every day or doing the 30 DS or some other high impact activity on the days between. I always counsel that they do something low-impact on the days between running and always take one day off each week where you do no exercise more strenuous than a walk. Your body needs to rest and recover between runs.

I started C25K last April. Since then I've completed numerous 5K or longer races including 3 half marathons. To my mind, staying injury-free so that you can keep running is the most important aspect of training. You don't want to overdo it, get hurt, have to stop for several weeks and then start over from scratch.
  • shanse21
    shanse21 Posts: 26
    Options
    Be careful, it's addicting! I did the Couch to 5k program and it led to a half-marathon, which is leading to a full marathon.

It did definitely help me drop a little weight, but it did more for my cardiovascular health than anything else. That and some great muscle development. It's a fab program, enjoy!