Third Times a Charm (I hope)

Options
tierraaf
tierraaf Posts: 12 Member
Abridged version:

Hi, my name is Tierra (waits for the AA-like rehearsed, "Hi Tierra" in unison lol). I'm from the Detroit/Ann Arbor, MI area and a University of Michigan grad GO BLUE! I'm looking to lose body fat and gain more confidence in my body by getting fit (again).

My unabridged story:

So, the journey continues. I've tried to use MFP three times (this being the third) which also mirrors the amount of times I've actively tried to stick to a diet and exercise plan. The first two instances, I suffered from information paralysis. I wanted results (or so I said) and even got a taste of how discipline could effect my body after working out and eating clean for 8-weeks straight. Nonetheless, it still wasn't clean enough and I was working hard enough. The "never good enough" started to get old and I wanted carbs. This time is no different. I'm finding myself paralyzed from info-overload and lack the motivation the get off the couch and MOVE. Personal problems, yeah I know. But this time, I'm reaching out to the community and attempting to hold myself accountable for what I want, like everything else.

Don't get me wrong, my diet has never been tremendously bad. But I ate what I wanted in moderation. I have a small frame so of course I get all the BS "why are you trying to watch what you eat, why are you trying to workout so much," questions. Ugh, Shut up! The difference in the last four years, is that my post-baby body wasn't as resilient as I had seen other mothers or ever dreamed of. Stretch marks, loose skin and an unforgiving jiggle when I walk (but of course since no one sees any of this, I'm delusional and should stop being so ungrateful since I'm small).

The bad part about it is that I'm 24 and finally realized a year ago that I'd probably never confidently wear a bikini, ever. I had a HORRID case of eczema on my stomach when I was a pre-teen, that I successfully hid from my parents for almost two years until it was too unbearable. By this time the damage to my skin had been done and it's never looked the same; progressively better over the years but never the same. Add tiger-like, white stretch marks to the mix, a slight skin sag and all the fat in my entire body gathering between my breasts and hips, and you've got my lovely midsection.

Before this gets too long, here's the point. It's super hard to stay motivated knowing that my tum could forever be this disfigured monster of a problem. I'm trying to do the right thing and talk it out but I know it will be a journey. If there are any women out there that share my sentiments or would like to help pull each other along, don't be afraid to add me as a friend (no offense guys, we can be friends too of course). Contrary to this seemingly depressing post, I'm pretty fun lol. :heart: :laugh: Sometimes it's important to be brutally honest in the beginning, instead of hiding behind false confidence so someone can help (I hope lol).

:smooched: Tierra

Replies

• ncbill
    ncbill Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Tierra,

Please don't focus on your belly. It's easy for me to say, because no matter what type of shape I'm in I wont get taller. LOL Obviously, we all feel better when we are fit and that is the important part. So stay in shape to feel better, and my ex had a belly after we had a baby and I thought it was beautiful every time I saw it, but she always remained self conscience about it. Remember, if someone sees your belly they should like you enough that they will just be happy to be with you.
  • rachellanae11
    Options
    "Hi Tierra" (LOL) I too have the same problem with my tummy and after having two kids:heart: I was like no way:noway: am I going to EVER wear a Bikini but I am determined to get into one stretch marks and all i figure if I can just get rid of the flabby saggyness and get it right get it tight then Im going to show it.... love the saying "a woman with stretch marks is like a tiger thats earned her stripes" so with that said WELCOME and you have my FULL SUPPORT! Good Luck Mama and Im always here if you need a little bit more incouragement:smile:
  • afiero25
    afiero25 Posts: 1
    Options
    Good morning, I'm in the same boat with you as well! Im 29, a mother of a 8 year and 4 year old. I to face the same problems that you face. I always think back to my high school days when I had a flat tummy no stretch marks anywhere, nice legs, no saggy skin on my belly, but then I remind myself of my age and my 2 precious daughters and I wouldn't change a thing! I too am trying to get back in to bikini shape and let me tell you it's been tough BUT Im determined! I have a very supportive husband who tells me all the time that he like s the the way I am and that he doesn't like woman that are self-contious, (I'm working on that). Together we can all do this and would love to see ya'lls progress~~
  • tierraaf
    Options
    Thank you so much, Bill. That last line hits me hard and I do have to remember that. A bad relationship about 2 years ago didn't help in the confidence area. You're so sweet, thank you again :happy:
  • tierraaf
    Options
    @rachellanae11 Girlll!!! If I can get rid of this jiggle, I'm good. It's just having 3 problems at once is a pain. If I knock out one or two I might think I'm Beyonce (or not, but you get the point lol).
  • tierraaf
    Options
    @afiero25 Thank God for good men and supportive family. Thank you for your support and let's get this confidence thing together with each other's help. Can't wait to share our progress!
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Lastly, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!