oatmeal.. really stupid question

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
hot cereal has NEVER been on my radar.... but new trainer recommended it. My question is, is Instant , like quakers oats packets OK? from reading here I should be putting a scoop of protein powder in too???? I'd like your thoughts.. thanks

oh and in data base.. when it says 38 grams serving size,,i'm guessing that's before you cook??? sorry for being an oatmealmoron

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Protein powder in oatmeal sounds disgusting, though I eat prefer to eat protein via real food and not powder. I guess if you aren't getting enough protein in your diet, then go for it.

The instant packets of oatmeal are usually flavored sugar bombs. You are better off cooking plain oatmeal and then flavoring it yourself with whatever sweeteners and add-ins you like (I like fruit or a little real maple syrup). You are correct, the serving size is measured in dry weight before you cook.

I don't know why your trainer would be stuck on oatmeal. It has fiber and will keep you full, so in that sense it is good for you, but so are many other foods with similar nutritional profiles. Oatmeal isn't some nutritional powerhouse or anything.
  • wiwichu
    wiwichu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have porridge (oatmeal) every morning and I use a very simple receipt: 50g oats (dry weight) & 200ml almond milk, loads of cinnamon (makes it taste sweet), 2tsp of agave syrup if I need a bit more sweetness, and 10g of toasted almond flakes (gives the crunchiness with very few calories)!

i hope you like it! good luck!
  • jfsears
    jfsears Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the instant oatmeal is over processed and full of sugar
  • cartmail
    cartmail Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use the oat so simple flavoured ones and there yummy. As someone who used to eat a packet of biscuits for breakfast I still need something sweet plus you have all day to burn off the calories. As a worker I think there great as they fit in my bag and a quick to do on my break. Theres loads of flavours to choose from.
  • jerber160
    Options
    so cook my own? quaker oats quickie or rapid or whatever are ok???? thanks mates
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It is pretty straighforward to cook real oats, you dont need the "so simple" type flavoured packs.

If you dont like it hot, you can always try overnight/ refrigerator oatmeal - mix it the night before with either milk or fruit juice, let the oats soak, and they'll be edible by morning. You can add fresh fruit or a blob of yoghurt to that. There's a few suggestions for variations on this theme in the recipes section.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    yes cook your own...

protein powder in oatmeal is the best thing in life.

apple pie oat bran (i eat oat bran instead of oatmeal)
    002.jpg

reeses pieces oats...yummm
    008.jpg

i eat this pretty much everyday...put chocolate protein and strawberries in mine this morning :)
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is what I do the night before - measure the dry ingredients quick oats (1 minute kind), add raisins, cinnamon, walnuts in a glass bowl and cover it. In the morning, I can just measure and add some hot water -2 parts water for 1 part oatmeal - then put the bowl in the microwave on high for about 40 seconds. I add artificial sweetener but you can put whatever you like - maybe honey.

I also like it with maple extract and artificial sweetener instead of maple syrup.

The Quaker Weight Control Maple/brown sugar flavor is my favorite instant oatmeal - I keep some at work for a snack.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i dont think the instant packets are any different than like the big canisters, its just dry oats and u add hot water.... should all be the same
  • jerber160
    Options
    man thanks bunches. you guys have given me ideas I'd never have gone for before. thanks.. keep ideas coming
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    I love the Kroger Active Lifestyle instant oatmeal.
    The Almond & Cranberry is my favorite :3
    170 calories, 3.5g of fat, .5g of saturated fat, 1g polyunsaturated fat, 1g monounsaturated fat, 0 trans fat, 0 cholesterol, 110mg of sodium, 27g of carbs, 7g of dietary fiber, 3g of sugar, and 8g of protein. Also has Vitamin A, Calcium, and Iron. & not a sugar overload!
    These oatmeals have 170 calories and anywhere from 1-4g of sugar.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I like the Trader Joe's Multi-Grain Oatmeal, but regular is good too. I cook it in the microwave - 2 minutes, stir, 2 minutes, done! Put it in a deep measuring cup or bowl so it doesn't bubble over.

Then I add 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of plain Greek yogurt (depending on how hungry I am, or that day's workout), 1/2 cup fruit (blueberries, strawberries, banana, peaches, whatever I've got), about 1/8 cup walnuts, and drizzle it with a tablespoon of honey. Delicious!
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I eat Quaker Instant at the moment because that's what I have in the cupboard. There's one packet left and when that's gone, I'll look into doing something else. I'm trying to live more cleanly, but that oatmeal was expensive and I can't justify tossing it out. But it IS full of sugar and processed, so you're better off doing it yourself.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you want the convenience of packet oatmeal with out all the sugar look for the BetterOats Raw Bare. It is nummy and much better for you.

If you want to add protein powder I recommend Optimum Nutrition Any Whey powder. It has almost no taste ( I add it after cooking the oatmeal).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Regular oatmeal takes very little time to prepare, so I never saw the sense of buying the quick or instant oats. Less that 5 minutes in the microwave (or about 7 minutes on the stove) and you've got yourself a hearty breakfast.

Don't cook your protein powder, add it after the oatmeal is cooked. Cooking protein powder changes the molecular structure and takes away a lot of the bio availability. Personally, I don't like the flavor of protein powder in oatmeal and will just have a hard boiled egg instead (for protein). I also like to toss in a handful of almonds or walnuts.