Starving after I workout

Options
I eat really well all day but then after I exercise im starving I come home and eat and eat somemore. I want to now what can i eat that will satisfiy me without a lot of calories, fat or sodium.

Replies

• delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Protein and fiber should to the trick. Try lean meats such as turkey, chicken, and fish. Make a tuna sandwich! Not too high in calories, fat, or sodium. You may also be super hungry because you're dehydrated. Try drinking a few cups of water before you eat anything. Your body may be mistaking dehydration for hunger.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Protein helps keep you full. Sometimes I have a small green apple after a workout, and some water. That seems to do the trick. I actually tend to eat right before I work out (but not everyone's body can handle that) so I am not typically hungry afterwards.

My hubby always has a protein bar (around 200 calories) after his workout.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    protein and fat... its all that works when I work out, your body needs both.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk is good. ya need protein and carb (or fat technically)

snack before workout a protien and carb.
  • Monieindamid
    Monieindamid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try to get protein (at least 15 g) within 30 min. after your workout. A shake or bar in the gym bag or in the car does the trick for me.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I eat really well all day but then after I exercise im starving I come home and eat and eat somemore. I want to now what can i eat that will satisfiy me without a lot of calories, fat or sodium.
    If you are trying to feed your body so it can recover after exercise by snacking (on foods low in calories) that's why you are never satisfied. Eat a full meal of protein, carbs and some healthy fats.
  • chloe_tinys_mom
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips I see what the problem is i eat tons of low calorie foods after I work out. Usually cucumbers,watermelon, carrot sticks, or other veggies and fruit then after.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been on a greek yogert kick (plain) with fresh fruit after I work out...high in protein and that tends to help me fend off hunger a bit.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    After working out you should be eating starchy carbs and high protein.
    Fat doesnt get used for muscle repair so potatoes, rice, bread, pasta.
    Chicken, turkey or lean beef/bison.

I tend to eat about 500g carbs on heavy lifting days because most of the nutrients from the carbs go to recovery.
  • Montegue42
    Montegue42 Posts: 98
    Options
    I usually work out at night, so I don't want to eat a whole like meal afterwards, so I eat 1/4 C of plain, air popped popcorn. I don't know if its like the healthiest, but it certainly works for me.
  • jolo908
    jolo908 Posts: 8
    Options
    My nutritionist used to tell me to bring an apple/ or protein bar with me to the gym, so as soon as you feel that hunger you can satisfy it.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    My first drink after the gym every day is a protein shake normally around 16-18 ounces, half skim milk, half water with my protein powder. By the time I drink this my dinner seems to be to much to handle.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I munch on a tomato, very filling
  • MSepp
    MSepp Posts: 228
    Options

Peanut butter and apples, low fat string cheese and crackers, a SMALL bowl of granola, some chocolate milk, a handful of unsalted nuts and dried fruit...

and the list goes on.