I'm scared....

Options
I've already got this ridiculous "apron" of fat on my stomach, and I'm afraid of what I will look like if I actually do lose the 50+ pounds that are weighing me down. Yes, my knees hurt, my feet hurt, my bones and joints hurt. Luckily I'm not diabetic. I have a gym membership, but don't go. I know what to do and don't do it. Can anyone relate? :ohwell:

Replies

• 4mykids
    4mykids Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, you are so me!!! That`s me to a `T`. I hurt everywhere, now I`m 16 wks pregnant, and 120lbs overweight... I have been on a rollercoaster of trying to lose weight, go to the gym, etc. for the last 3 yrs, not wanting to be pregnant at this weight... but - surprise!!

Anyway, I seem to have a cycle of getting a gym membership once a year. It lasts for about 3 months, then I stop going... then a few months later, I sign up again. I have a daily schedule for myself that includes exercise, my menu for the day, etc... but I NEVER seem to fit in the exercise, and sometimes the food plan goes out the window too (actually more often than not). I feel like I KNOW so much about how to do it and what to do, I think I could teach a class... but then look at me! I just don`t do it and it ticks me off beyond belief. HOW DO YOU MAKE YOURSELF BE ACCOUNTABLE TO YOURSELF????? Something is not working for me, and I wish I could figure it out.

Ok, I'm done. Sorry for the vent. I just know exactly how you feel.
  • 4mykids
    4mykids Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Oh and just found out I have "impaired glucose tolerance", so not quite gestational diabetes YET. but great!
  • a00link
    Options
    I used to be able to relate kind of. I used to write in my livejournal how much I wanted to lose weight, and looking back on it I can see so much sadness in my writings. But finally, years later, I somehow just found the motivation. I just signed up at a gym today which will help motivate me further.

I used to have a hard time with my health once in a while, and now just after working hard for over 5 weeks now, I feel like when I move up the stairs in my house I just shoot up them almost effortlessly. Enough about me but I'm trying to make an example that the only way to make change is to create change.

It's cliche but you have to get over yourself in the sense of feeling sorry and just make change. You've gotten yourself on MFP which is a step in itself. You need to now go to the gym, even if it's for a small workout. Little changes can lead to bigger ones. If you're feeling overwhelmed, start smaller.

With this whole Health Care Reform thing going on in America, one thing I really take from it is how I think there needs to be a stronger focus on preventative medicine as opposed to post-illness medicine. Your body hurts and you're not diabetic, but the longer you hold off, telling yourself there's more days left, well you'll just get worse. You'll hurt more, you'll feel worse, and God forbid you develop anything like Diabetes but if you don't take care of yourself then it's possible. It's hard to be motivated by the future, but you need to remember that the future becomes the present very quickly, and what you don't do in the present will never leave the past. So might as well make your time worthwhile.

Think of it like one might feel about a school bully, instinct is to feel sad about it, but it's more fulfilling to get even. Certainly I don't advocate violence in schools or wherever bullies are present, but in the case of your poorer health, look at it like it's a bully that you have to beat down in order for the best possible you to shine through.

Best of luck! I see you've been here since August but this is your first post. Keep chatting with the people here and perhaps join a group to help keep you happier and motivated. You can do it, whether you believe it or not. Everyone has the potential, it's up to them to make it kinetic.
  • thisishalloween
    Options
    I think anyone who is starting a diet/excercise regimine is "scared" to move forward at first. For three years I crash dieted now & then, but not much more. *sigh* I suppose it's a motivational issue. You start off strong and then give up when the pounds aren't magically shedding. Human nature. I really suggest filling out your food/excercise diaries on here. When you look at them & see concrete progress (ie "I had one soda today instead of four" or "Drinking those eight cups of water made me feel GREAT.") you know that your moonbeams are made of more than gelatin... basically that you've accomplished something.

As for the weight loss fears: I am scared that after losing 89Ibs, I might have loose skin or my bosoms may fall, etc, but there are always ways to take care of that. If you're careful & don't try to lose too much too fast, you won't have to worry about any of that.

Lastly, find a support system. There will always be those who will impede your progress. It is important to find someone with similar weight loss goals. Your friend who wants to lose 10Ibs is going to have a different diet & excercise plan than you, if you want to lose 50Ibs (and the temptations come back when they get to their goal, besides it can be depressing too).

Just keep a positive outlook & look for good support. Cliche? Yes... but also good advice :smooched:
  • thisishalloween
    Options
    GOOD LUCK!
  • nat1908
    Options
    Well, i guess i all balls down on how bad u want it. Nobody but u can make do it. Me meself have yo-yo dieted for many years lose and gain,lose and gain. You have 2 really want that change in ur life. And if you do get saggy skin SO WHAT!! that's the result of your hard work but if you include weight resistant trianing it will help ALOT!! it will tighten that skin and musle up. Apart of you wants it cause if you didnt you wouldnt be on here you just need that push. YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid, anyone, we are all friends who care about each other and the struggles that are common to all that are striving to take charge of their life and have a healthy body. Let us learn from each other, and grab the bull by the horn, and get with it. There is so much happiness in feeling strong and vibrant in our own skin. Remember how good it feels to feel good. If you have ever been sick and get well, it feels so good to be well again. If it hurts to move about, it feels absolutely wonderful to "get well" and move again. I don't really know how to explain it, but at age 65 I feel better now then when I was 40! I didn't have as big a change to make as some, but still, even 25 - 30 pounds can make you feel so energized and free, that you will want to kick yourself for waiting so long to feel good!!!!! It is soooooo worth it!

Take heart:heart: You can do it!:happy: Others care about You and Your Health and Well Being! Have Faith in Yourself! Others will happily share what they have learned to make the road easier to Follow! YOU CAN DO IT!!