Pants - Need advice

Options
I have been trying all morning to write this post. My eyes fill with tears....I am in a funk. I don't want this to deter me from continuing my journey...

I have been on MFP since March 19 and have lost a total of 46 pounds so far (54 to go).

The issue I am having is related to clothing! All my pants are too big in the butt and legs (good problem to have - I know). I went to Goodwill last night trying on pants (as I don't want to spend a lot of money on between size clothes). I tried on pants in smaller sizes...and absolutely NOTHING fit. How after losing all this weight can I not at least be one size smaller?????

Replies

• reallyally1
    Options
    Are you exercising? That helps a lot with losing inches around the waist.

I have a problem where my pants are way too big in the butt/thighs, but the next size down is too small for my waist. I started out as a size 18, but I've been stuck at a 14 for the last 25 pounds. It's very frustrating, but I just put on a belt and suck it up until I reach size 12. I can actually fit into a few 12 jeans now, but it depends on what brand they are. Also, I did manage to find a pair of size 13 jeans that fit me really well. You just have to be patient and try on a LOT of pants. I know it's frustrating, but you'll get there eventually. :)
  • workingthisout
    workingthisout Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on how much you've lost! I think the issue with the pants size was that you went to goodwill. Sizing changes constantly, and especially from brand to brand. In some brands I'm down to a 12/13, but in other brands I still fit perfectly in my 16s. Try a store/brand that you already own (that are too big) and try a size down from that...I bet you'll see better results :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes awhile to lose a size, but as you get closer to your goal you'll drop sizes faster, Just keep going.
  • fbranch7
    fbranch7 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am exercising 5-6 times a week. I am walking the track, trails and doing step aerobics. Thanks for the advice.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You are almost halfway there so don't beat yourself up!

I am very straight - I have no waist to speak of - so most womens clothing does not fit me well. If it fits in the waist, the hips/legs are HUGE. Or if it fits in the legs and I can get it up my but, then there is no way in hell I'm gonna get it buttoned and zipped up. I have better luck buying straight cut pants, or even mens jeans.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You are my opposite twin. All my pants are too big in the waist -- still fit in the butt & legs. So none of my pants fit right either. I still need the same size, I just need different pants. Being patient stinks sometimes, but I know smaller pants will happen.

And I agree with the poster that says sizing varies, not just from manufacturer to manufacturer, but from year to year.

Try JCP for inexpensive slacks, or Wmart. Or try skirts -- if you get a stretchy jersey fabric, you can keep it for a few sizes.
  • chenrytc2
    chenrytc2 Posts: 48
    Options
    All my pants are too big in the butt and legs...

I am a little confused... YOUR pants are too big? The ones YOU use to wear before losing over 40 pounds? The ones YOU didn't like wearing because they made you feel blah? The pants YOU own that YOU now have to get rid of because they are TOO BIG?!

The problem is YOU are trying on someone else's pants. YOU are in the process of reaching YOUR goal and before YOU look at how far YOU need to go, take a quick look over YOUR shoulder and see how far YOU have come! Those tears should be for joy because YOU are looking for new clothes because the old ones won't do anymore. Go to a store, try one new clothes, decide what YOU want and then work for the size YOU want.

YOU are almost there, now take a deep breath, release it, re-focus, and move forward to conquer the mountain!
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Find a GOOD tailor! They are an awesome solution to your problem with fit.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You are my opposite twin. All my pants are too big in the waist -- still fit in the butt & legs. So none of my pants fit right either. I still need the same size, I just need different pants. Being patient stinks sometimes, but I know smaller pants will happen.

And I agree with the poster that says sizing varies, not just from manufacturer to manufacturer, but from year to year.

Try JCP for inexpensive slacks, or Wmart. Or try skirts -- if you get a stretchy jersey fabric, you can keep it for a few sizes.

Agree with this, I had and still have the exact problem you are talking about but got 2 pair of jeans on clearance at Walmart that are the stretchy fabric and they fit well don't sag in the back of legs or butt. I have really been getting compliments on them and they feel so much better and look better. I have been doing the same thing don't want to buy many new clothes until I get to goal but love the stretchy fabric.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    Remember goodwill clothes are used, and for me, most of my clothes shrink at least a *little* with wash and wear.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    A couple of things came to mind.
    1) try to find the same brand of pants and get a smaller size. I understand you don't want to spend a lot, but a couple pieces may hold you over.
    2) have your tailor taper them - might cost you $10-$15
    3) Marshall's and TJ Max.... picked up a pair of GUESS jean there this week for $14, hemmed for $7... savings about $40 =) GO!
    4) coupons to your favorite stores... go on their website and join, their sure to send you some.

P.S... there with you =)
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i recommend skirts - the longer i am on this journey the more skirts i find myself owning. I have thinner legs --- but my belly and i argue every day about what is or is not going to fit that day :wink: . skirts -- they are the new trend and the right color and style can be worn all year.

got luck and congrats on your loss to date!
  • fbranch7
    fbranch7 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments and support. I appreciate them all. AND I am over my funk...thanks to ya'll! Thanks again.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In my life, I have never found anything at Goodwill that fit me. It seems like only skinny-minnies ever donate clothing.

I feel your pain.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Everything at Goodwill has been run through the dryer plenty of times. I usually wear a bigger size there than at regular stores.
  • Karlbarbell
    Options
    Have you seen Barbell Apparel Jeans?! They make jeans for those with muscular legs/butts and they're extremely functional so you never have to worry about ripping your jeans in the crotch ever again. www.BarbellApparel.com!!!!! :smile:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am convinced I'll never be able to buy new pants. Ever. No matter how much I lose. It is beyond frustrating. Then there's those people who are like I lost 3 ounces and 6 pant sizes and I just want to scream.

Some one mentioned skirts - then I have just a bunch of uncontrolled fat flying around under a piece of fabric - no thanks.

On the plus side I've saved a ton of money by not being able to buy new smaller clothes.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am a great fan of Goodwill for between sizes, I have stopped looking at sizes completely, with vanity sizing and clothes being made in all kinds of different countries where every size label is different I just try stuff on, if it fits great, if not it goes back on the rack. It has nothing to do with Goodwill (or your local upscale consignment shop).

These are transition clothes, don't worry about it.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i recommend skirts - the longer i am on this journey the more skirts i find myself owning. I have thinner legs --- but my belly and i argue every day about what is or is not going to fit that day :wink: . skirts -- they are the new trend and the right color and style can be worn all year.

got luck and congrats on your loss to date!

I second this! I have the same issues and have found skirts to be a lot more "accommodating" of my body. Plus I don't have to keep hoisting them up all day.
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Me too!!!! I'm still in a size 18 pants but they are huge on me. I can't where a 16 though, they won't button. I bought some large shorts today and they fit fine. I probably could wear a 16 woman's though but not misses. I'm just gonna get a belt until I can lose more weight. I've gone from a 3 x top to 1x. I can wear a size 18 petite that fits fine. It is discouraging. I've lost 37 lbs.