Getting on the eat more to weigh less bandwagon...

Options
As the title suggests.....I'm going to try out this whole concept of eating more to weigh less....

I've been at the same weight for months now ....(literally the scale has not moved at all)....

I have a question and it has probably been asked to death but i already checked search and couldn't find it mentioned....

But regards exercise....do i do the same amount I'm already doing or do I do more??....

I have been taking in about 900 cals a day approx for last few months.....(Don't give out to me....i'm aware it does sweet eff all and my body has/ will go into starvation mode).....im aware....

I just need a push into doing it because I'm SO SCARED i'll put on weight....and then i shall lash out at everyone who convinced me to do it :flowerforyou:

Thanks in advance,

Heather

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You might gain a little bit of weight.

This weight will consist most of water as your body will begin to store the nutrients it has been deprived of for so long.

It also might store a little bit of fat. It basically thinks you are going to starve it again so its like "Oh, I am so saving this, she's gonna take it all away again tomorrow!". Once it feels like it won't have to worry about that, it'll let go.

Basically what has happened is your body is not getting the base nutrients it needs to function properly or the protein it needs to simply repair damaged cells. It is also not getting the proper amount of energy to beat your heart, run your kidneys, etc. A light bulb doesn't shine as bright if you don't give it the proper amount of energy!

You can keep your exercise.

Be sure to up your protein significantly. Try to make protein about 30% of your diet. Your body NEEDS this. Puzles suck with half the pieces missing!

And I am in the SAME boat as you by the way. I only recently heard of the "eat more" idea... I too was like "Oh total BS!", but then really looked at it and the reasons etc. And yes, it works and it is true.

I am eating 300 calories more a day now... just weighed myself and have lost 2.5lbs this week (1 pound water given my calorie deficits I checked). So, losing 1.5 pounds of fat in the first week I ate MORE than last week where I didn't lose anything... well...
  • ShaeSweetie
    ShaeSweetie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    agreed with that person..you may gain a bit of weight but more in water and the fact that your eating more..youll lose in fat and the scale will go down..i say still workout just as hard if not harder...if your eating a little more, id workout a little more..plus the more you workout the hungrier you will get and the easier it wil be to eat healthy! eating more to weigh less means eating HEALTHY to weigh less..it doesnt mean just stuffing your face with ****..all of us who are eating our alloted calorie amounts are trying to keep that healthyy! luhh you girl! haha <3
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :):tongue:

i will stuff my belly with lots of fruit and veggies sooooo :drinker:
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    definitely keep doing what you are doing in regard to exercise! you don't have to do more unless you want to. you definitely need to net at least 1200, i'd say, BUT since you are used to 900, i'd say increase slowly to give your body time to adjust. so maybe just try 1050 for a couple weeks, then 1200, etc.

as dana has said, you will probably gain weight but don't let that deter you! your body needs to get used to the extra calories and after a few weeks or so, you will start losing again - i promise! just don't give up! and i also agree with dana about increasing protein. i'd say to TRY and go with ratios of 40/30/30 (carb/protein/fat), or something pretty close to that.

good luck!
  • akiss4u2tam
    Options
    Eat five meals a day... 3 full and 2 snacks... Change up what you eat.... Never eat the same things twice in a row..... Cut back on the sugary fruits.... pineapple, watermelon, mangos, banana, melons and grapes.... although they are good for you they are too high in sugar an off set your glycemic index..... Exercise at least an hour 5 days a week... Change up your routine...... never to the same exercises twice in a row... Day one Swim, Day 2 elliptical, Day 3 walk, Alternating the exercise routine will help burn the fat.... Add in some weights.... If you go tot he gym try the Body Pump class. Add that once or twice a week in between the cardio workout... It will help tip that scale in your favor :o)
  • lauren518
    lauren518 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hey! so i had this exact same problem, and i was terrified to up my calories, but guess what? ive been gradually increasing to my current level of 1700 net calories/day for the last 4 weeks and ive finally started to lose! i did gain a pound at the beginning but then i stabilized and now the scale is moving downward!

i was SO SCARED to gain weight, but trust me its worth it if you eat more. not only do i pretty much eat whatever i want now, im losing weight doing it! this is a sustainable lifestyle change and so i feel confident that if i stick to it i will se results and wont run the risk of gaining all the weight back once i lose it!
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I tried it. Upped to 1370, gave it 5 weeks. Went totally mental at the resulting increases (6lb) so have gone back to 1200. Still struggling to drop the weight I put on.
    :grumble:
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If your body does not have the nutrients it needs it will be harder to lose weight. So I would adjust your caloric intake a little and see what happens.

From my personal experience I can say I got really obsessive about getting a jump on my weight loss after losing about 15 lbs so I dropped my caloric intake by 200 calories, almost instantly I stopped losing weight. Once I added that 200 calories back into my diet I started losing weight again. About a 2-week setback.

I know you want a "push" like you are standing on a cliff, but this is more like walking up a mountain with a blindfold., you take a step , plant your feet, and start feeling for the next step. Good luck.