True statement or not

Options
30% Gym 70% Kitchen..... Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym.

How true is this statement to you?

Replies

• findfan4ever
    findfan4ever Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I really never subscribed to the percentage thing like that. Both are needed in balance to obtain good abs. Use exercises that work for you regarding your ab workout. Get to know the anatomy and bio-mechanics of the muscle groups involved as this will help you in your program. Also, to see the abs one must get rid of the layer(s) of body fat that cover them.

Experiment around my friend and you will find what is right for you, brother.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I agree, for me personally I think it's more like 80% kitchen and 20% gym. If I eat the wrong thing and get all bloated, there go my pretty abs.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    completely true!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I once heard a statement slightly different that I really liked: "Abs are made in the gym, but revealed in the kitchen." I totally agree. Obviously you have to work out to GET abs, but no one will ever see them if you're eating is all wrong.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better considering I have my foot in an air cast for the next couple weeks, and it's already been 3 weeks since I've done any real exercise. :grumble:
  • doreenOrtiz
    doreenOrtiz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That would make sense to me considering you must lose all the weight around your waist in order for you to see any ab results I think it is either 2% to 5% fat around your waist. In a lot of cases it is harder for girls to develop a six pack and not every girl can obtain one. In theory our bodies were built to have bigger hips and curves in order to carry children; there for we tend to carry more weight around the mid-section ; ) But good luck I would also love to see definition in my stomach.. I do crunches all the time but until I can lose a lot more fat I will never see how well I am doing; I am a work in progress ; )
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You don't even have to work abs if you do enough compond lifts. If you want a percentage I think it's closer to 90% nutrition. Work you're abs until the cows come home. If they're covered in fat who will see them ?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen not the gym

True, not sure about the ratio but basically very true.
    You don't even have to work abs if you do enough compond lifts.

Not entirely true. Many trainers and especially power-lifting coaches have realized the benefit of direct ab work and are re-incorporating it into various routines. The Westside group does ab's every workout.