Lunch at the office

Options
doomspark
doomspark Posts: 228 Member
I work in an office that's about five miles away from the nearest source of food. Can you say "captive audience"? We have a cafeteria on-site whose daily options are "hot meal" or "salad bar". The hot meal option is usually very high in fat, sodium, carbs, and calories, and my tolerance for salad is limited. Plus salad doesn't keep me full all day so I end up hitting the vending machines in the middle of the afternoon.

I used to bring the Hormel dinners (they cost about $2.00) but they're high in sodium and don't keep me full.

So what I'm looking for is something that I can bring for lunch, that's better for me, and won't leave me starving.

Replies

• jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I make large batches of soup with chicken and tons of veggies. Add beans and you get tons of fiber, protein for a very filling meal. Freeze the portions in ziploc containers and just grab and go :)
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Do you have a fridge/microwave there?

I usually end up making up a bunch of pasta or couscous or quinois etc salad, pack it up and take it to work every day. Load the veggies in and maybe add some beans or meat depending on how I feel.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Get one of these http://sixpackbags.com/ or any other lunch box, cook at home on the weekend and take your lunches to work with you like a boss.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have been packing a lunch and its made the most amazing impact on my overall diet, and my WALLET!! win-win IMO.

Here are my go to's:

*leftover dinner from nights before

*Fish- I am a seafood person so I do this often, Just grill up your favorite option and reheat with some fresh or steamed veg and a little rice.

Soups ( prolly high in sodium but IDC) I just had that today. 240 calories for an entire can of campbells chunky soup. Obviously some are higher, but its so easy to just heat in a microwave

* Wraps- again can be made easily in the morning or the night before, add whatever you like into a tortilla wrap

I understand your sentiment towards salad. I get so tired of them so quicky.

Hope these help!!
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    lean meats veggies rice, cook on Sunday and freeze
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i throw chicken breasts or pork loin into the crock pot on sunday and eat it all week in wraps or pita pockets. often i just throw BBQ sauce in there, or sometimes i make chicken salad. it's delicious, good for you, and REALLY inexpensive.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks everyday~
    I actually have a shelf in my office for my bagels for the week- with Laughing Cow Cream Cheese in the fridge.
    Snacks are my pretzels- and fruit I bring in each day.
    Lunch- WW meal or Lean Cuisine- whatever I have coupon for.
    and snacks again during the afternoon.

LC & WW meals are my favorites -as I can let them defrost in the morning and 2 minutes in the microwave- lunch is ready :)

Only- because I don't like to cook at home do I do this~ I hate to cook so it's an easy way out for me :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    How about a big ole sandwich (turkey or tuna ,chicken, ham, roast beef)
    yogurt or cottage cheese
    fruit and veggies
    protein shake
    leftovers from the night before
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow - I step away from my desk for ten minutes and come back to find all kinds of useful ideas. I'll give some of them a try.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    90% of the time, my lunch is left overs from dinner the night before. I portion it out into a container as I portion it onto our plates. In the winter when I make soups and stews a lot, I freeze the leftovers in individual packs. My vacuum sealer was one of the best investments I ever made. Pull it from the freezer in the AM and it is mostly thawed by lunch time.
  • michele2224
    Options
    I work 2 jobs from 9-10 at night between both, so I have to bring my own food, I usually take Sunday to pre plan for my luches & dinners for the week, and I like chicken/fish and vegtables, I also sometimes do a all in one with turkey sausage some sort of bean, spinach/mushroom and hot sauce very good quick meal