Need a good kick up the butt!

Options
So in around 8 months, I've managed to lose 36lbs, which I'm proud of considering I'd never tried to lose so much as a 1lb before MFP. But recently I've found it harder and harder to stay on track and I don't even know why. Few things:

~ When I get to the gym, I enjoy it and try to work as hard as I can. However, finding motivation to actually get up and go is really difficult. Especially on weekends, considering the opening hours are 4pm-10pm weekdays, and 9am-3pm weekends. I'm definitely more a of late workout person, if there is such a thing, so weekends seem more of a chore than anything else.

~ Resisting temptation. I used to be ACE at this. Saying no seemed like a second nature. Nowadays, if I get so much as a whiff of temptation I say yes, and I don't even know why! I know it's bad, and I know I'll regret it but I do it anyway, and end up feeling bad. For instance, this afternoon was going okay. I had a decent breakfast, and chose the Shapers food from Boots for lunch, so it was both okay. Then my friend gives me my favourite chocolate bar as a "birthday present" kind of thing, and I didn't even think to split it over a period of time. I just ate the whole thing! 400-500kcal whacked on just like that. And now I feel sluggish and down, and I can't even go to the gym tonight to work it off and don't have any room for dinner.

~ Water. I can't get to 8 glasses a day, no matter how much I want to. I just don't enjoy drinking water, and forcing it down is less enjoyable. The closest I've got to is 6 and I felt bloated and tired, so I just went back to around 3-4 a day. Is there any way to better this, or bend the rules to get my water or whatever? I'm not sure.

~ Sleep. Definitely a night-owl. Especially during the summer. Sometimes I see myself sleeping around 5-6am because that's when I get tired, and then I wake up at around 11am because I hate sleeping in. I'm fine during the day, but I know 5 hours sleep isn't enough, so could it be affecting me more without me really realizing, or is that just a bogus idea?

Also, in case anybody wants to know:
~ 1,200kcal a day.
~ 1,300-1,400kcal when I work out.
~ Minimum workouts have 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes on the bike, 30 minutes on the weight machines and a 30 minute walk.
~ I'm a snacker, which I could use help getting over 'cause it'd help me a lot
~ I'm 5'10'' and weigh 196lbs

I guess I'm moaning more than anything else, and I know MFP doesn't need any more of these "woe is me!" kind of threads. I think I just need motivation to get me back in the right direction. Some tips to get back on it would be nice too, if anybody wouldn't mind. Or if I should just suck it up and stop whinging, then feel free to throw that my way too. Any little helps! Thank you.

Replies

• Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't realise it was this long. :embarassed:
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    first, congrats on the 36 pounds lost!! that is really great. second, maybe you should decrease your project weigh loss per week (i'm guessing you have it at 2 pounds given you calorie intake average) to 1.5 or 1 pounds. you'll lose more slowly, but you can fit in the occasional treat and not feel bad about it or go over.
  • Blaineyyy
    Options
    Thank you! I thought that might be a good idea, to be honest. Though I've been losing so well on this intake, I just feel like I'm trying to make excuses because I'm too undetermined to make it better, and I don't know where it's come from. :grumble:
  • lena0105
    lena0105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same issues as you: water, sleep, snacking .... I managed to lose 24lbs and now I am stuck! I totally understand what you are going through!
  • skinuppinup
    skinuppinup Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are stuck in a rut! Have you explored the at-home workout options? Tried flavored water with frozen fruit? Not getting enough sleep will increase cortisol (stress hormone) and that can make it harder to lose as well. Hope this helps :)
  • pitlvr2x
    pitlvr2x Posts: 17
    Options
    I have started/stopped/started MFP many times over the past few weeks, sometimes it takes awhile to get "started" - so those of us struggling get that - YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I found the more I stay in my workout "thought" (reading up on as much as I can, getting on here for motivation when temptation hits, finding like minded people, etc") helps me keep putting one foot in front of the other, I am not perfect nor am I striving to be, but I am giving 100% which is better than nothing right??!! I have chronic insomnia (take meds but still only avg about 2-4 hrs a night) but I get my behind out of bed every morning because I found an awesome Spin instructor, who misses me when I am not there ;)) hang in there, you will find your groove!
  • Blaineyyy
    Options
    Thank you guys! Sorry for the late reply, went out shopping with my parents to burn a couple more calories off. :)

@lena0105 Thank goodness it's not just me, but so sorry to hear you're going through the same thing! Hopefully we can both surpass it :)
    @skinuppinup Thanks for the advice, I didn't really know about the affects of too little sleep but I'll definitely try to fix it! :D
    @pitlvr2x I'm so happy you found something that works for you! I'll keep exploring around and hopefully find something that's entertaining and helps me commit :)