Protein powder makes me gag!

Options
I'm trying to add protein powder to my diet, and I did research before I bought, majority said iso-100 tasted good etc so I got it. It doesn't taste bad but it makes me gag! I want to throw it up with every sip! I tried drinking it while holding my nose, drinking it while eating toast, but no still made me gag! So how could I hide it so I don't taste it? Any good ideas? I want to use it up since the dang thing was $36 and I'm a cheapo haha

Oh and it doesn't hurt my stomach at all so I don't know why it's making me gag.

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    What flavor did you get? Are you just mixing it with water? try making a smoothie with milk (real or almond or soy or what ever) and a banana, maybe some cocoa, or berries. Is it something about the texture or the taste do you think?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it in different things, it doesn't have to be taken as a protein shake, I add some to my pancake mix, my mashed potatoes (or mashed cauliflower), omelets etc, smoothies for sure... tuck a bit in here and there as you prep food and you'll find it.. of course it may work best with unflavoured stuff, flavoured may be noticeable in the various items.
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate protein powder and when mixed with water it succccks and makes me gag too.

I have found a protein brownie mix though that I make and it helps me to get in my protein, while having a treat, and not wasting the nasty powder.

I mix 6 scoops of my powder, (37g each) 3 egg whites, & 6 oz of unsweetened applesauce. (I usually add a serving of chocolate chips too for a little tastey extra..lol) Heat oven to 350... bake about 5 minutes... You really don't bake them that long. If you bake them too long, they will be all chalk like (DRY!) and if you don't don't bake them long enough they are super gooey. So you will have to try to find somewhere where inbetween.

For a batch of 9 the calorie content per is about 100 with like 16g of protein per brownie. (This will change depending on what powder you use!)
  • OspreyWife
    OspreyWife Posts: 15
    Options
    I got vanilla, I mixed it with 16 oz of water to make it where I couldn't really taste it, I mainly tasted water with a hint of vanilla. So I'm not sure why it made me gag, probably my mind going crazy haha I'll try hiding in a smoothie and such thanks!
  • jgarf4me
    jgarf4me Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    great ideas . i have problems with the taste and stomach issues with milk. I split it up in the morning.
    i have a berry shake whn i first wake up which i put 1/2 teh protein . then the other half is added to my cereal (about hour later)and i sweeten it with cinnamon and coconut milk and blueberries.
  • cgriggs99
    cgriggs99 Posts: 7
    Options
    I used to have the same problem...I now use GNC Pro Performance Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Vanilla flavor. Still can't stomache the chocolate one and I love chocolate. 1-2 scoops (depending on your protein need) in a smoothie. My smoothie is 1-1/2 skim milk, add ice to bring liquid level up to 2 cups, add 1 cup no sugar added sliced frozen strawberries and 1/4 cup no sugar added blueberries and protein powder. Blend throughrully and enjoy, perfect breakfast.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I got vanilla, I mixed it with 16 oz of water to make it where I couldn't really taste it, I mainly tasted water with a hint of vanilla. So I'm not sure why it made me gag, probably my mind going crazy haha I'll try hiding in a smoothie and such thanks!

I have vanilla too, I mix it with part milk, part water and a little chocolate powder, and it tastes like a milkshake! Try mixing it with something other than just water!

Good luck!
  • seardefilip
    Options
    I'm trying to add protein powder to my diet, and I did research before I bought, majority said iso-100 tasted good etc so I got it. It doesn't taste bad but it makes me gag! I want to throw it up with every sip! I tried drinking it while holding my nose, drinking it while eating toast, but no still made me gag! So how could I hide it so I don't taste it? Any good ideas? I want to use it up since the dang thing was $36 and I'm a cheapo haha

Oh and it doesn't hurt my stomach at all so I don't know why it's making me gag.

look at my diary- breakfast
  • Crossfitjessi
    Options
    try body by vi, not so much gagging as it is getting tired of doing it everyday.
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i blend 1 scopp of my vanilla mix with 6 oz of almond milk and it's good.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Yeah, you just can't mix it with water. I've been doing 8 ounces of coffee, a scoop of chocolate protein powder and about 1/4 cup of milk which would totally work with your vanilla powder too...
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options

I hate it in water, i will either mix it into 1 cup of milk or my newest fave shake:
    (vanilla) scoop of protein powder,
    1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup frozen mixed berries
    ice and water to decide your prefered thickness
    blend until happy:wink:
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wheyfactors unflavored is good if you mix it with water and add some Crystal Light. I also add it to Carnation Instand Breakfast dark chocolate flavor. Yumm
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I have never trusted that their products match the label claims.
    It's best to stick with whole foods when you can.
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize Nutrition Gourmet Chocolate protein and mix 1 scoop with 8oz black coffee and loads of ice...shake it up and you've got a delicious mocha protein drink in the morning! I get my morning protein, and my morning coffee all in one go
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I find it gives me really bad stomach cramps, as does really high protein food like quorn in large quantities.
  • reneecaddy
    Options
    Honestly, I hated the taste of protein powders myself. But a friend at work told me to take 8 oz of Soy Silk Chocolate milk and mix it with 1/2 scoop of Whey Protein and 1/2 scoop Soy Protein. (I bought chocolate flavor for both) I even add a banana to the mix. I drink it an hour after my workouts to build lean muscle and it has worked so far. The inches are going and the healthy feeling is awesome. If you got the vanilla flavored Soy Silk and mixed in a fruit it probably would taste just fine. I love my mix every morning.....It taste like a chocolate smoothie to me. Good luck and hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    New Orleans Un-Healthy Nut! :-)
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've never used it "straight" in just water. I make it in a smoothie (I buy whey protein in a vanilla flavor). Spinach and bananas are good options and you can use either water, juice or almond breeze (my choice) though the calories and other factors will add on as you use a different "base". I can't say using it this way I have ever had a problem consuming the protein supplement.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking shakes for a long time. When someone says they taste good, that just means they taste less terrible than other brands. I always get chocolate or strawberry flavors. Chocolate is great to add peanut butter and milk too. Strawberry is awesome if you want to add some from fruit. The vanilla, no matter what brand or what I mix in it, tastes aweful!
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Using your blender makes a huge difference! No clumps.