Shiratake / Miracle Noodles

Options
Has anyone ever tried these kind of noodles? They void of any nutritional content (zeros down the board in the nutrition info label). But I was curious about them so I bought a couple packages from the Internet. Seeing what they look like in their packaging, however, scares me lol. They remind me of jellyfish and I'm kind of terrified to try them!

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Search this term. There is at least one lady here who loves them and has a lot of recipes and pointers. Most people think they're fishy and gross.
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Search this term. There is at least one lady here who loves them and has a lot of recipes and pointers. Most people think they're fishy and gross.

Damn that's unfortunate haha. That's the exact same review I just read online from a different website. So not only do they look like fish, they taste the part too. I'll still try them but I hate fish so I don't know how well this will go lol
  • notthatway
    Options
    Not fishy!! In fact, they are pretty much tasteless. The "miracle noodles" are made from konjac, which is a plant, and don't contain any fish... Konjac in general is super popular in Asia because, as you probably already know, of how it contains a large amount of soluble fiber and is pretty much no cal. Try some simple stir fry flavors with the noodles dry (not in a soup) like teriyaki, Chinese vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and they could be tasty :) Add veg and tofu too if you like stir fry.
  • mary190136
    mary190136 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    they're completely tasteless. they have a strong fishy odor when you open the package, so you need to rinse them literally about 10 times before they're edible. Then, just add whatever for sauce, and they're great!
  • toliver1970
    toliver1970 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tried what someone else had suggested, and rinsed them with hot water many times, then "dry fried" them in a non-stick skillet until they were completely dry, and then I put some spaghetti sauce on them and let them soak in that, and added a little shredded parmesan cheese. I really liked them! The texture is a little different than regular pasta, but for the calorie difference I will definately use these again in the place of pasta!
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The odor comes from water they are suspended in.
    Rinse them in cold water.
    Boil for about 30 seconds.
    Then rinse again in cold water

That should remove the fishy smell.

There have been others who did not like the texture. A bit chewy.
    Dehydrating them (as in heating in a pan until "bone-dry") seems to do the trick.

I personally like the texture because they almost have the same texture as glass/cellophane noodles.
  • Sassybecky
    Sassybecky Posts: 72
    Options
    I've had them with stir-fry before. I agree, they scared me in the package but tasted OK once they were cooked and mixed with the other food.