work hard, no results!

Options
I have been eating around 1200-1400 calories a day. Plus the gym and in 1.5 weeks I have only lost .6 lbs! Its so frustrating! Makes me want to splurge!

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    That is a healthy rate of weight loss. It's not a race. You are doing great!
  • thepedestrian69
    Options
    Is it possible that the gym work is building muscle? Muscle is metabolic tissue (which is good) and has weight - it's possible that you're losing fat but not appearing to lose weight simply because you're getting rid of weight in 1 form (unhealthy bfat) and replacing it with another (lean, healthy muscle). If that's the case your shape is likely to be changing and you're likely to start looking better, leaner etc even though the numbers on the scales don't appear to change much to start with. Just a thought.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I know it's been said 100 times before but I'm gonna say it again if u aren't eating back your exercise calories you are probably not eating enough...
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Relax a little.. you didn't gain it all over night and you won't lose it either. sometimes the first couple of weeks are slow as your body adjusts. If you give in and splurge you'll have to lose that .6 all over again PLUS probably at least one or two more. If had kept at it all the times I've just given up I'd be at goal by now!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, lean and total body weight may increase for as long as two weeks after starting training, even
    while on a restricted calorie intake. This occurs because there is an increase of fluids and energy stored as glycogen in the muscle tissue (which is comparably more dense) and a decrease of energy stored as triglycerides in fat tissue (which is comparably less dense.) Simply put, adipose tissue is lighter than muscle tissue. This results in an increase in lean and total body weight, and a decrease in fat.

Did MFP recommend 1,200 calories? That's very low for someone who exercises. That's 200 calories per meal. @ 3 oz of chicken.
  • Rambo313
    Rambo313 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I work out a lot, I havent lost any weight in 3 months but I am fitting into clothes that I never did before, be sure to take measurements as the scale is not the only indicator of success!
  • LFornal
    LFornal Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been working out everyday, today doing a massive amount of yard work, most days Wii Golds Gym or DVDs with hand weights. I'm eating the recommended 1560 calories and I weight 155 pounds. When I started MFP June 6 I weighted 156. I am not quitting but I am getting discouraged.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I work out a lot, I havent lost any weight in 3 months but I am fitting into clothes that I never did before, be sure to take measurements as the scale is not the only indicator of success!

^^^this

Grab a soft tape measure. Use it. In another month, use it again and you will be smiling! :bigsmile:
  • Cassirae2
    Cassirae2 Posts: 3
    Options
    MFP recommends almost 1500 calories a day. Im 5' 8 and 220lbs. I have been working out 3 days a week and counting calories. I didnt think about gaining muscle so that may have something to do with it. It just discouraging but I will continue on. And i didnt take measurments about 2 weeks ago so ill have to take some again and see if they changed.
  • Cassirae2
    Cassirae2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!