Gone to an adult "Fat Camp", Fitness, Weightloss Camp??

Have you been in the last few years to an adult fat camp, fitness or weightless retreat?

I have been on this long hard weight loss journey for a year this summer. My body does not cooperate. ******I don't need advice. ******I have lowered my calories, increased my activity, and go weeks without losing. ****** I am healthy even with a 40+ BMI so my doctor feels no further medical help is needed. Regardless my insurance won't pay for much unless I develop medical issues. Nothing with the obesity diagnosis coding is covered by my benefits with United Healthcare.

I really became interested in what the Biggest Loser was doing to make people successful. At the beginning of the year I started reading and listening to EVERYTHING I could from Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper. I have used the Body Media Fit that they use with the contestants.

When I realized I wanted the Biggest Loser experience, Google research made me realize I could go to Fat Camp. Thats my dream. I want to be able to plan my vacation time for next year to go to a fat camp for two weeks, preferably here on the east coast. I especially like Hilton Head Health's reviews. BUT the cost is outrageous for my families budget. Its $2500 a week.

I can not afford that. I work full-time for a medical billing company. I have a daughter that just graduated from high school and started college. I am beginning college full-time this fall. I am actually actively persuing a part-time retail job on the weekends to bring in extra income to pay for our schooling because we don't qualify for any financial aid. My husband can't work a second job because his full-time job involves a lot of irregular scheduled out of state travel. We use no credit/can't get credit because we let a bad house go 4 years ago. If it was a matter of charging it, I'd be there in before the end of the year.

My motivation is the ****s. I am depressed both because I am fat and as much effort as I put in, all it does it stress me out more. I was dealing with severe headaches in March and April and the eventual diagnosis was they were caused by stress and lack of sleep. SO I guess I see the hopefulness of going to one of these camps as much weight loss and fitness related as a mental health opportunity to get me in a better place with a lot of time for the reflection and intense time devotion to commit to someone being there to assist me in figuring out what it will take to lose the weight.

If you have been to one of these retreats, can you tell me about your experience? Do I have the right expectations? Its a hell of a lot of money, but I am really at a low desperate point to get my weight down. I've spent so much money on so many different things over the past year, but I have also learned that with working hard, its not going to come.

Replies

• Bumping this up for a new day and maybe some responses.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    What do you think a weightloss camp could provide that you can't do on your own? Especially for $5000? The thing about shows like biggest loser is that they put the people on a severly restricted diet and work out every day for hours. Yes, you would lose the weight, but what does it teach you about eating healthy in real life. Your schedule looks hectic and who's to say after you get back, you wouldn't feel pressed to grab a big mac meal for lunch or a pizza for dinner?

I don't want to come across as a downer, but I'm curious.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    I don't think a "fat camp" is the way to go but if you want it, at $2500 it is just $48 a week. OK, it may take you 2 years to get there (saving $24 a week). You can start by dedicating yourself to MFP and eating properly with a balanced diet. Next make the time to walk 4 miles a day. (approx 10k steps. For me that takes about 2 hours). Make sure you eat most of your exercise cals so your body is still nourished. At the end of the week use the money you have saved by not going to fast food restaurants, or clipping coupons, maybe extra job, into a special vacation account. Don't worry about the scale at this point. The 2 hours of dedicated exercise will help you get in shape for your "fat camp" experience. Yes, they do work you hard and you would not want to get there only to not be able to "cut the mustard". So, decide on a goal weight, start doing the work here, and look toward your goal. You may just find that the dedicated work you do here may be enough and you will have a healthy savings account for a real family vacation with enough left over for new clothes to fit that newly toned body.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    I don't think a "fat camp" is the way to go but if you want it, at $2500 it is just $48 a week. OK, it may take you 2 years to get there (saving $24 a week). You can start by dedicating yourself to MFP and eating properly with a balanced diet. Next make the time to walk 4 miles a day. (approx 10k steps. For me that takes about 2 hours). Make sure you eat most of your exercise cals so your body is still nourished. At the end of the week use the money you have saved by not going to fast food restaurants, or clipping coupons, maybe extra job, into a special vacation account. Don't worry about the scale at this point. The 2 hours of dedicated exercise will help you get in shape for your "fat camp" experience. Yes, they do work you hard and you would not want to get there only to not be able to "cut the mustard". So, decide on a goal weight, start doing the work here, and look toward your goal. You may just find that the dedicated work you do here may be enough and you will have a healthy savings account for a real family vacation with enough left over for new clothes to fit that newly toned body.

This is great. In the time you take saving, keep working on your own and by the time it comes time to go, you may not even want to anymore.

It would also be terrible to spend 5k and then quit because it was too intense.
  • I just feel like it would be a two week total commitment to just focusing on myself. Two weeks of severely reduced calories, but someone cooking for me. Two weeks of lots of exercise that I can't fit in my normal schedule. It just feels like a health retreat would put my mind back in the right place to keep going. Many of these programs are medically supervised and offer lots of classes and therapy, things I see that would be helpful. I feel like having some experts committed to my success would be helpful and something I am not getting at home in my daily life.

I don't eat junk 95% of the time. When my schedule is crazy and I don't have time to cook a meal, I generally let the teens fend for themselves with leftovers or a salad and I skip dinner. I just finished almost 3 months of not counting calories at all (since April 1, I have not tracked, and just restarted) and didn't gain a pound. The crazy thing is that if I lower my calories and up my exercise I don't lose either. In the past month, I have had a hamburger once and that was my birthday dinner at Whole Foods pub. I think I had a slice of pizza about a month ago too when the teens and their friends ordered delivery at 10pm. We don't eat fast food in our house.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Instead of a weight loss retreat, what about a spa retreat or an outdoors wellness retreat? Something where healthy meals and activity is a part of the experience but so is peace, self-focus, and relaxation (painting, hot tub, whatever.)
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    I just feel like it would be a two week total commitment to just focusing on myself. Two weeks of severely reduced calories, but someone cooking for me. Two weeks of lots of exercise that I can't fit in my normal schedule. It just feels like a health retreat would put my mind back in the right place to keep going. Many of these programs are medically supervised and offer lots of classes and therapy, things I see that would be helpful. I feel like having some experts committed to my success would be helpful and something I am not getting at home in my daily life.

I don't eat junk 95% of the time. When my schedule is crazy and I don't have time to cook a meal, I generally let the teens fend for themselves with leftovers or a salad and I skip dinner. I just finished almost 3 months of not counting calories at all (since April 1, I have not tracked, and just restarted) and didn't gain a pound. The crazy thing is that if I lower my calories and up my exercise I don't lose either. In the past month, I have had a hamburger once and that was my birthday dinner at Whole Foods pub. I think I had a slice of pizza about a month ago too when the teens and their friends ordered delivery at 10pm. We don't eat fast food in our house.

Well, how about doing this at home for two weeks, learning to cook healthily for yourself and relaxing? You could probably get a trial gym membership somewhere for two weeks, go find a nature trail for working out outdoors, and save up for a couple of massages after some long, hard workouts. Maybe get some friends to do it with you.

Send the kids away to spend time with friends or relatives. The hubby? Maybe he'll want to do this with you, or perhaps he has a favorite activity or hobby he wants to take some time to devot himself to?

The bonus of doing this at home for two weeks is it will start to become routine for you, it will get to the point where you will not have to think about it anymore. And, you don't have to spend the $$.

These "fat camps" don't always work for everyone. In the short term the people will lose weight but once they get back into the real world they lapse into their old habits.
  • My home is not a relaxation place.... its what I need to get away from to relax :-) Being home means bathrooms to clean, laundry to do, pets to walk, and so on....
    I guess I just want a vacation :-) With an focus on eating right and exercise :-) And someone to help keep me focused. I have no local friends and my husband is content to sit on the couch watching movies.

I actually considered doing some weekend retreats within a few hours from where I live or even just making weekends my bootcamp time... but very few gyms have a solid schedule of classes on Saturdays/Sundays. I'd love to make Sunday a work out all day type of day. It may not work that way when I get a second job, but I was thinking some back to back classes would be great.
    When I do kickboxing classes during the week they don't happen till 7:30 pm and when they end in 45 minutes, I am left wishing I could go another hour. The thought of just spending days exercising with someone encouraging and teaching is really empowering to me.
  • spruim
    spruim Posts: 1
    You know what Tricia ... I was actually considering the same thing, so I know how you feel. I work way too much and just need a time to get away to focus on my goal and to have some support to just kick start the program. I actually emailed Hilton Head and sometimes they have deals, so it isn't always $2,500 per week. I agree that I think it is pretty expensive too. I have been on a weight loss journey before and been successful; it's not that I don't know what to do, I just don't do it. It is funny because I feel very much like you do and many of my friends say exactly what everyone else on this board says.

I think if it is something you want to do ... figure out a way and do it. Different things work for different people. Many years ago, I worked for a company and one of the girls went to fat camp and it changed her life. So, I want to give you some positive support. Who knows ... maybe I'll see you there.

Sharon
  • L_Rose
    L_Rose Posts: 1
    Weight loss spas are the better route as far as developing a total awareness of yourself. Beyond diet and exercise, they help regain peace and show you different ways of exercising as opposed to strictly aerobics or weight training.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    I just feel like it would be a two week total commitment to just focusing on myself. Two weeks of severely reduced calories, but someone cooking for me. Two weeks of lots of exercise that I can't fit in my normal schedule. It just feels like a health retreat would put my mind back in the right place to keep going. Many of these programs are medically supervised and offer lots of classes and therapy, things I see that would be helpful. I feel like having some experts committed to my success would be helpful and something I am not getting at home in my daily life.

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I've been looking into the Hilton head health program and wanted to share some info. Although there is an intake where they check blood pressure, blood glucose levels, it is not medically supervised, there are no doctors on staff. "therapy" sessions are not included in the general tuition, though I believe they are available as an extra. If you think you'd benefit from a therapist, in my opinion, that is a longer term commitment. Find someone local you can develop a long term relationship with.

Regarding a severely reduced calorie diet, the plan outlines a 1200-1400 calorie a day menu, so it's not as extreme as one might think. They do classes on shopping and healthy cooking, and teach you how to get the most from your food.

I do agree that getting away from daily stressors to focus can be beneficial, I just wanted to clarify some details.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    I totally get what you mean about going away to a dedicated place for weight loss, but perhaps there are other options? I think a personal trainer is a better use of money, but why not go on a walking holiday to kick start it? I don't know about in the States,but they are very common in the UK and would be far cheaper.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    ^^ Yes that from above. I think your money would be better spent staying home and working with a trainer.

Yes getting away from everything would be wonderful but once you get back to real life, the weight can come back. I think this even happens to many of the biggest loser people. They live in a "bubble" while on the show, everything is done for them and arranged for them. Once they can make their own choices, they fall back into their old ways.

At least with a trainer, they can devote all their time to you and working with your lifestyle. I just think that would be most effective.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    For me, personally, I'm using this as a jumping off point for a cross country adventure (lots of hiking and activity!) I've already started changing my habits, sticking to a reasonable eating plan, and moving more. BUT, I've isolated myself for a long time, and am very anxious around people bc I've been overweight, and a hermit for so long. For me, a "fat camp" seems like a safe place to start interacting with people again, plus, after working on my own for a couple of months, a little push from my peers and trainers will help me take things to the next level. It IS very pricey, but a family member offered to cover the cost, so I'll take advantage of the opportunity!

Edit to add: another reason this is better than being home... Is that at home it's a lot easier to put things off til tomorrow!
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    I understand the frustrations of not losing. I discussed my situation with a trainer, i had logged in for 135 days straight, doing Insanity and not losing. his recommendation was 40c,30,30 on the macros. 1800 total a day. It does not matter how much I do for the day. My intake says the same. The scale has started moving again. Not sure if you watch macros or not. Working for this moment :)

I do hope you achieve your goals.
  • I know someone who went for a month and lost loads of weight but once they came back they put it all back on again- I dont think they carried on exercising or eating well but if I had the money I would go to one
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Bump
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Have you considered taking a two-week cruise, instead? You can find cruises specials for $100 dollars a day. Most cruises have full exercise rooms, plus several exercise classes a day. The onboard chefs are very accommodating to special food requests, so you could easily tailor your food to meet your calorie goals. The cruise would provide you with the get-away you need and let you just concentrate on yourself for a fraction of the cost. And with what you save, you could also indulge in massages and other utra-luxury items that aren't included in the Biggest Loser-type getaways.

You could probably visit some cruise forum sites and seek other people who want to do a weight-loss getaway cruise and find some people to travel with you.

There's also special weight loss cruises, but they can be as pricey as the "fat camps."

Just a thought.