Protein powder makes me gag!

Options

Replies

• Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Take everyones advice! Mix it with milk/almond/soy with some fruit and you can't go wrong!
  • murraymel
    murraymel Posts: 2
    Options
    I use vanilla and add it to yogurt. Can't taste at all! Be sure to get a low suger one. They have a good one at Whole Foods.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I put mine in smoothies and don't taste it at all :)
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    How you prepare it makes a difference. Are you stirring, shaking, or blending? It is gross to me unless I make it in the blender. Lots of other good advice in this thread. Another thought is that you may be using too much water, I find it tastes kinda gross when diluted.

Edit: it's a very individual thing too btw - you may hate this brand but like another. For every person who hates a flavor, I can find someone else who swears it's the only flavor that is good. :) If you have any RL friends who are into fitness, ask them what their favorites are, and see if you can get a sample from them to try without spending loads of money on a huge amount of powder you may hate!
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used body fortress whey protein vanilla.

I mix w/ ice (about two handfulls) and add sugar free smuckers chocolate syrup, and splenda, and 1/2 cup milk. Taste just like a McDonalds mocha frappe

I also will mix with frozen strawberries, one banana, splenda, 1/2 cup milk.

Some of the protein powders I notice include splenda (body by vi does) so watch that because you may not need to sweeten it. The kind I use is about $15 but is bitter if you don't sweeten it with something.
  • maureen173
    maureen173 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use Arbonne's Protein Shake and it actually does taste really good. Both Vanilla and Chocolate. But I do mix it with fruit (Vanilla) and sometimes with peanut butter (chocolate) and sometimes almond milk instead of water (though now that I'm doing MFP,I try to keep the calories as low as I can and still enjoy it, som mostly omit the milk now).

The Protein powder makes really good energy bars too. You need an ID to order it, so let me know if you need some. Good luck!
  • ryandm1776
    Options
    Keep it simple: Gold Standard Whey Vanilla, 1 scoop. 1 frozen banana, 1 - 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk, frozen berries, strawberries, mangoes, whatever. Even 2 or 3 tablespoons ground flax seed. Throw in blender till well mixed. Tastes like ice cream. Therefore, I eat one every day!
  • 66Desertsunset
    Options
    If I use water to mix my shakes I add a sprinkle of crystal light. If I use milk sometimes I will use a sugar free flavoring. Although my favorite protein which requires no add-ins because of its awesome flavor is Myoplex Light...its low calories, low sugar and high protein. No stomach discomfort. However, it is a little more expensive.

Last idea--you can also add a scoop of protein to sugar free/fat free pudding.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way so I mix it with a half cup of water/milk/almond milk and just drink it REALLY quick...with a half cup, you barely even have time to taste it before it's down.
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I add 1Tbsp. of FF/SF instant vanilla pudding mix. It only adds about 20 - 25 calories but makes my smoothie or shake taste extremely good!! Worth it. :) Good luck.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I bought Vanilla but I don't drink it without putting it in a smoothee I make with frozen mixed berries, frozen bananas I freeze myself and 5 live-cultured Yogurt(I like Stonyfield or Mountain High. If something makes me gag but it is something I know is good for me I just cover the taste.

denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I'm trying to add protein powder to my diet, and I did research before I bought, majority said iso-100 tasted good etc so I got it. It doesn't taste bad but it makes me gag! I want to throw it up with every sip! I tried drinking it while holding my nose, drinking it while eating toast, but no still made me gag! So how could I hide it so I don't taste it? Any good ideas? I want to use it up since the dang thing was $36 and I'm a cheapo haha

Oh and it doesn't hurt my stomach at all so I don't know why it's making me gag.
  • mrsferfer
    mrsferfer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with skim milk, ice, and instant coffee granules and put it in the magic bullet for a healthy iced coffee treat.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    This is a great idea! Thank you since I don't always want all the calories a smoothee has;) denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I add 1Tbsp. of FF/SF instant vanilla pudding mix. It only adds about 20 - 25 calories but makes my smoothie or shake taste extremely good!! Worth it. :) Good luck.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate powder I mix in the blender with 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 a banana and a handful of frozen berries. It's delicious!
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    My kind of protein;)
    Keep it simple: Gold Standard Whey Vanilla, 1 scoop. 1 frozen banana, 1 - 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk, frozen berries, strawberries, mangoes, whatever. Even 2 or 3 tablespoons ground flax seed. Throw in blender till well mixed. Tastes like ice cream. Therefore, I eat one every day!
  • LizbithB
    LizbithB Posts: 15
    Options
    Try adding some Silk Almond Milk and frozen strawberries, banana or other fruits. I also have a texture problem with protein shakes and turning it into a smoothie works. I add just enough frozen fruit for taste while keeping the calories down. Good luck :)
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i <3 chocolate caramel flavored protein shake powder from gnc. delicious!!
  • zgdsmith
    zgdsmith Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I first tried protein powder (mixed with water) it made me gag & I would throw it back up. YUCK!

Now, I am able to get it down by mixing 1 scoop powder with about a cup of milk. I chug the whole thing in a couple gulps then drink a little more milk to wash the taste of of my mouth. Once I have drank it it doesn't make my sick but the consistancy is what I don't like in my mouth. So, the only way I drink it is gulp it down fast so I can't really taste it.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    add it to cottage cheese/oats/milk/egg whites.

or sniff it for a quick pick me up. :wink:
  • Dsuth42
    Dsuth42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wanted to share this; a sales rep came into my office today and I was so surprised to see him because he had lost 100 pounds in past two years since I seen him last. He of course told me how he was doing it and one of the things he incorporated into his diet by request of his trainer was this protein drink and he could not rave enough about it and how good it taste! He said you will not believe it. He said it was made by Giant Sports and it is the 'cookies n cream' flavored. He said you can use it with water, but he normally adds two scoops to skim milk and has one twice a day. He ended up giving me two scoops of it to take home and try and see what I think. Which I will tonight. I will come back on and let you know just how good it was.
    Check back.