nursing

Options
should I take into account that im nursing, not full time, just part time (hes 10 months old) and is there a thing for that on this site?

Replies

• thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is a way to input it. Full time nursing requires 500 more calories a day though. I can tell you that when I tried to lose weight in the spring by reducing fat and working out with a personal trainer my milk dwindled dramatically. I didn't realize at the time how much of a difference. I had to supplement because my baby started to lose weight. Just be careful. Keep your calorie intake a little higher and make sure you keep eating healthy fats. I had to give up nursing since I could never get my supply back and the doctor said it was more for comfort than nourishment at that point. 6 months later I regret not having researched it better.
  • bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'd still add at least 200 calories a day.

Susan
  • size6Jessi
    Options
    ok, thats a good idea, and im asuuming by adding calories its like when your pregnant, cheese and frutes and what not? not like, oh ill have a soda, I get 200 more calories! HA!
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    when i was nursing i would go to this website to calculate my avg intake http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/. when i was breast feeding my weight would fluctuate 3 to 7 lbs. so keep in mind to not rely on weight too much. in this case you must rely more on inches lost. i heard when you breast feed exclusively you burn 500 cal a day. i did not put bf as a cardio because i wsnt sure. hope that help.
  • timmijop
    timmijop Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing my daughter is going to be 10 months on the 21st and she nurses about 4-5 times during the day. I added another 300 calories to my daily goals where you can customize it on your own. Still I find it hard to consume all the calories they are asking us too hahah, I find myself searching the house for food to eat...Like humm heres a graham cracker, lets eat a pear....then I log it in and they are still asking me to consume 1000 more calories a day because of my workouts! I eat 6 small meals a day already! I think I will blow up if I am consuming 2500 calories a day!
  • shadowboxer83
    shadowboxer83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding my 9 month old son and I try to add an extra 300-500 calories everyday. It's challenging for me to eat that much especially since my son is allergic to dairy and eggs so my diet is very limited. You really do need the extra calories though or the quality of your milk will suffer. Also you will get malnurished because your body will take from you to ensure your baby is getting proper nutrition. Everybody is different but I can tell you that for me breastfeeding has been the easiest diet. I gained 45lbs with my pregnancy and am now 9lbs less than I was pre pregnancy. It really does burn a lot of calories. My weight loss was slow and steady though. I was frustrated at times but eventually all the weight came off and than some. Just remember your babies health is what's most important. Even though it's hard to believe you're really burning that many extra calories just sitting on your butt, you are. So eat up and enjoy it!
  • size6Jessi
    Options
    I noticed after adding 200 calories I lost weight quicker! I yavebeen here a month and have lost 16 pounds and have pleanty of milk! Thanks girls!!
  • scootertiki
    scootertiki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok so reading over all of this...I need some clarification....my 11 month old nurses exclusively (no formula or cow's milk)...he nurses about 5 times a day. I had originally set my weight loss to 2lbs a week...is that bad? Should I change it to 1 1/2 lbs a day and then add 300 extra calories a day? My milk supply is just perfect for him now....nothing extra, that's for sure...so it could easily be affected and I want to continue to nurse for maybe another 6 months. Please let me know what I should do! Thank you!
  • timmijop
    timmijop Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would go with what your body tells you! You should probably consult your doctor too. I consume roughly 1500 cal a day and my daughter is soley nursed as well! Today I actually got engorged for the first time in a long time!!!
  • scootertiki
    scootertiki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I had it set to 2lbs a week....and then I added an extra 300 cal's....so it took me to about 1500 a day...so I think that is good. If I suffer a drop in supply...I will just boost my cal's some more. I need to drink more water though...having trouble lately drinking enough...but thank's for the input!