"not showing" progress?

Options
it's been almost two months since i started my weight loss journey and i've dropped something between 21 and 25 pounds (the scale says 25 but i'm not sure i believe it yet)
and while i keep getting compliments on 'how skinny i look', i still don't see it myself?
i have taken a couple of progress pictures (which i'm slightly embarrassed of posting) but looking through them i still feel like it doesn't show at all?
i don't exercise regularly yet, more sporadically, but i try to stay active and at least take a long walk every day. i kept telling myself it was just because i need to start toning, but after 20 pounds i'm starting to lose a bit of motivation.
i don't want to fall into ED territory where i see myself as fat even when i'm not (i've been chubby all my life and my goal is going from chubby to skinny healthily)

is anyone else experiencing something similar?

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I've been at it since February and today I made the side-by-side pic you see here. Everyone else will notice it before you do. Looking at the the photos now, almost 6 months later, I can see it. It's only 21 lbs, but I see it. You're doing fine!

Keep going!

:flowerforyou:
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Try tracking measurements instead.Those cannot lie!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    this might sound absolutely crazy, but have you tried looking in a differnt mirror, like a normal mirror but in a differnt setting, like at a friends or in a shop or at the gym? it might help like as a psych boost? i sometimes find although im not loosing weight or anything like that at home i can think i look a bit large, but then say i go to work and see myself i can be like actually im not that bad.... if that makes any sense?!!
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    take a pic of your self for your future reference. Then look at them monthly compared to a new pic. It helps you step outside of yourself for a moment to notice differences you can't see on a day to day basis.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've heard from many people on here that it takes a while for you to process the new version of you. Give it a few more weeks, and I'm sure you'll start noticing the difference. If other people can already see it, your self view just hasn't caught up yet to your new image. It will though, so keep at it. You will definitely notice if you get too skinny!
  • acedanger49
    Options
    Try tracking measurements instead.Those cannot lie!

^^ This.
  • kreader625
    Options
    I am :( granted I have only lost 13 lbs but I exercise pretty much every day for about an hour. I have lost inches but I just dont see it when I look in the mirror
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    yeah, kinda. :ohwell:

I've lost 20lbs, gone down a dress and bra size, but I still have days where I feel really fat. I look in the mirror and think, god you still need to lose loads of weight. I've got 2 great kids, but cos of that I have the dreaded baby belly :cry: I'm desperate for my body to change, I know I have to give it time, but sometimes I just feel ugly and fat :cry:

I hope you can notice some progress soon, sounds like we're very similar in that we have quite low self esteem. Best of luck :heart:
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Your friends and family will always notice it before you do. My Mom noticed the other day I had lost weight in my tummy but I hadn't until I put on a shirt today that normally fits my more snug. Track your measurements, wear an outfit you haven't been able to wear in a long time or go shopping for a new outfit and then you may see it!
  • melissadhaas
    Options
    I feel the same way! ive been working out for about 5 months and have lost 20 lbs. (slow and steady). I cant see it in my pictures either. every one can see my progress and tell me I'm looking great but i just cant see it. i know i have lost the weight, my clothes are too big, my measurements are smaller, and my weight is less! I guess it takes time to see it your self!! good luck and keep up the weight lose!!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    this might sound absolutely crazy, but have you tried looking in a differnt mirror, like a normal mirror but in a differnt setting, like at a friends or in a shop or at the gym? it might help like as a psych boost? i sometimes find although im not loosing weight or anything like that at home i can think i look a bit large, but then say i go to work and see myself i can be like actually im not that bad.... if that makes any sense?!!

Actually this is great advice! Thanks :drinker:
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You look at yourself everyday, of course you won't see suttle changes as fast as everyone else will. I don't think I genuinely saw a change in myself until about 80 lbs lost. It will take a while and then your lightbulb will suddenly turn on and you will realize how much you have changed and your confidence will soar! Don't give up, you are in no danger of an ED just because you don't see a change. Eat food, exercise, and keep losing!
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't see a huge difference just in the mirror, but my clothes are way loose, and things like my collar bones showing are kind of undeniable. We're also harder on ourselves than anyone else, so while others see great change we still see how far we have to go. Try looking at specific areas to spot the differences, little things here and there are what surprise me. I've only lost around 20lbs too.