Swimming with paddles ??

Options
Hey,

I started swimming recently, with feet paddles and I was wondering about the effect, because I don't want to gain a lot of muscles.
My goal is to make my legs and butt (and hips) skinnier.
I've been asking lot of people and they haven't answered.

Does anybody know ?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    If you want to make your butt/hips thinner, then you need to be eating in a calorie deficit to lose fat.. not be swimming with paddles on your feet.

Also, squats and lunges will help as it provides resistance to the muscles. Swimming is more of a cardio activity then it is a resistance activity.
  • wootsbr18
    wootsbr18 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a swimmer and feet paddles (generally called flippers by most) mostly just tone . Flippers won't help with losing weight on your legs, butt, and hips. Flippers normally help with completing faster intervals of time in order for you to work out your ARMS. I know it's weird. Something in the water you can do would be to tread water.

If you don't know what treading water is it's where you are floating head toward the ceiling, feet toward the pool floor. Then you vigorously do the egg better or breast stroke kick to keep yourself head above water. To make it more intense I suggest putting your arms out of the water and even harder by putting them straight up towards the ceiling.

Hope this answered your question:)
  • JudyADavis
    Options
    Hi Pallear,

Um, I've never seen a swimmer with a big butt or thighs. And it takes a lot of determination and time for women to build up that much muscle..... I think you'll be just fine swimming with our without paddles. No worries.

The treading water idea will definitely make your thighs burn. -j