Weight Loss In Relation To Time

Options
I'm curious if members of MFP have experienced their weight loss relative to the time they have been on the program. Have most members noticed a steady loss of 1 to 2 lbs per week? I have notices more fluctuations on a weekly basis; ie 4 lbs one week, 0 the next week. Although my overall weight loss is accurate to the time I have been on the program (9 weeks, 20 lbs).

Simply put, if I continue doing what I'm doing.. am I really going to keep losing 2 lbs per week on average?

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Eventually you will slow down. You may even stop all together. I hit a plateau for several months that completely demotivated me. I'm now steadily gaining weight. I'm trying to get my motivation back.
  • I have "stalls" that sometimes last 10 days where my weight even goes up. Yesterday was nine months and I have lost 108 pounds, since the first 50 fell off of me, my loss is consistently 10-11 pounds a month despite the fluctuations. I find the graphs a valuable tool in keeping things in perspective.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The less you have to lose, the harder it is to drop so you'll likely slow down more the closer you get to goal. I've lost 91 total and joined MFP to help with the last 10-15. It's MUCH slower now than it was when I had over 100 to lose.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With only 27 lbs to go you should not be aiming to lose more than 1 lb/week now. Having too large of a deficit can lead to the loss of a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing. For the last 10-15 your goal should be 0.5lbs/week.
  • bussaca
    bussaca Posts: 22
    Options
    Eventually you will slow down. You may even stop all together. I hit a plateau for several months that completely demotivated me. I'm now steadily gaining weight. I'm trying to get my motivation back.

I agree with lukeout007 - I was good up to 25 pounds - now have slowed down. I think when it happens has to do with how much you have to lose and how consistent you are. (and also if you are changing up your exercise routine)

Chris
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fourteen pounds in a year this June, hit a plateau that is still there, i'm de-motivated also but I still keep logging and execising 6 to 7 days hoping something happens.
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am on week 21 and have lost 11 pounds. I made a lot of mistakes at first - over estimated my exercise, didn't add things like butter/sauces/dressing in ...I've learned my lesson and hopefully i can get to the 1 lb a week I was hoping for!! reading what people are posting and taking their advice to heart helped alot. Good luck!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if members of MFP have experienced their weight loss relative to the time they have been on the program. Have most members noticed a steady loss of 1 to 2 lbs per week? I have notices more fluctuations on a weekly basis; ie 4 lbs one week, 0 the next week. Although my overall weight loss is accurate to the time I have been on the program (9 weeks, 20 lbs).

Simply put, if I continue doing what I'm doing.. am I really going to keep losing 2 lbs per week on average?

It really depends on how much you have to lose, the approach you're taking, and how large of a deficit you've set yourself. It can get more complicated but the short answer is if you stick with your deficit, your weight loss will continue in a downward trend.

I've been on MFP for roughly 7 weeks and am approaching 14 lbs lost... Even though I have it set to 1 lb a week. It tends to be uneven for a lot of people... you'll lose almost no weight (but take measurements! they change when the weight doesn't!) and then drop more another week... or you may have several consistent weeks, or several weeks of plateau (although more than 3 weeks in plateau means you need to change something up)
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have luckily not seen a plateau yet but we will see. I've been on here for about 50 days (I think) now but my numbers are much higher than the 2lbs a week that is forcasted. I don't have my ticker on here but I have lost 26lbs which averages out to about .5lbs a day. I eat all of my calories and make sure that I workout every night. I am constantly looking out for the plateau but haven't got hit by one yet - we will see what this next Sunday's weigh-in is going to be. Everybody's body is different and you will have some good weeks and some bad weeks... you just want to make sure to stay healthy!!
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    im not trying to loose weight i normally stay consistantly the same, i loose weight quite easy tho, but before i losse it i go up 2lbs then drop 4 from my stable weight, maybe im just odd. in short i guess we are all very differnt and everything happens differntly, i like to know how other peoples bodies react to changes its very intresting :)
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    In the beginning it was 99% consistent.

Now I am at a stuck part...

I lost 20 lbs in the first 2.5 months and the last 5 in about a month... now my scale doesn't budge... for now though. ;)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Not even remotely steady. At the beginning it was 10-12 pounds a month. Then 5-7. Now I am basically in a 2 month plateau. Making changes, but nothing is changing (or changing slowly).
  • p_s_a
    p_s_a Posts: 45
    Options
    Awesome.. Thanks everyone. Seems like the main focus is to not have too large of goals in a short amount of time (even if MFP allows it!).

Also switching up workout routine when I stall out.

...and of course never look solely at the scale.

:wink:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I lost only 2 pounds from September 2011 to May 2012. Then I lost 5 pounds in May 2012. Then I plateaued and remain only 7 pounds lost today. The change was when I started eating cleaner and less calories, but I'm lifting as well so I don't lose as fast. I lose inches though! I look great and my clothes fit great!
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've averaged about 0.6 lbs a week, but it's fluctuated greatly. Some weeks I've lost as much as two, once I gained three, I've hit plateaus, etc. But if I look at an overall graph of my weight loss, despite some ups and downs, it's a pretty steady 0.6 decline.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I have dropped 3 pounds in a week and I have had two months where the scale did not move. Try to concentrate on my measurements the most. As long as I am seeing inches lost I don't get freaked out if the scale does not move.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    im not trying to loose weight i normally stay consistantly the same, i loose weight quite easy tho, but before i losse it i go up 2lbs then drop 4 from my stable weight, maybe im just odd. in short i guess we are all very differnt and everything happens differntly, i like to know how other peoples bodies react to changes its very intresting :)

My weight loss is like that and my diet and exercise stay pretty much the same all week. Yet I will "Gain" 2 or 3 lbs over my last weigh in (I "officially" weigh every friday) and like clockwork as Wednesday and Thursday roll around, I start dropping weight and end up 2 or 3 lbs under my last weigh in. Its strange as hell, but I am staying at a steady loss, so I figure it's just the way my body is.
  • jomiley23
    jomiley23 Posts: 76
    Options
    Look under "Tools" in the tabs at the top and you can see three months worth of progress at a time. It helps to see that.

My experience? 15lbs in the first two months, then a stall at the end of February, then another drop of ten pounds over the next two months, then another stall for most of May.

Then I got pregnant. I've eaten whatever and whenever since, because it's the only thing keeping nausea at bay, and I have maintained my weight loss.

The weight dropped after that first stall when I had a whole weekend of not counting calories at all. Sometimes your metabolism slows down and you need a reset. Some do it for a weekend. Some for up to two weeks. You can search that in the topics and find others' experiences. It worked for me.
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for about 10 weeks now and it's been reasonably steady; most weeks 1lb, some weeks 2lb, some weeks the same. One week I gained a lb but didn't record it, and the next week I was down 2.

I'm mostly keeping within my calories but don't stress if I go way over one day or a bit under another day, and I'm doing some sort of exercise most days, whether it's a long walk, a few hours gardening or 30-day shred dvd.
  • heartkermit
    heartkermit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for about 15 weeks and am at 38 lbs lost. I found that some weeks it was a 2lbs or more other weeks it was less.

I had a week or so when I stopped counting calories and just let things be. It was not planned and am now on track again with approx 2lbs a week.

Good Luck :)