Runners - camel back or fuel belt?

Options
recently signed up for my first marathon. I'm really wanting to have my phone w/ me (for the runkeeper). Would a camel back be to uncomfortable over 26.2 or should I invest on a fuel belt?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I use my camelbak for long bike rides but don't enjoy having anything on my back while running, after a bit of trial and error I ended up with a fuel belt (I haven't gone to marathon distances yet though....)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I run with a handheld nathan water bottle and it works fine for me. I do however have access to some water on the way. Carried it for 20 w/o any issues
  • mwehby
    mwehby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fuelbelt. The camelback jostles around too much. Also, if you are only looking to carry a phone, then there are even better, less bulky options. Look into race bib belts. Many have a small, waterproof pocket on them to put items in. Also, if you are doing a marathon, odds are that it will be well stocked with hydration so you wouldn't need to bring your own.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you just want to carry your phone, get a Spibelt and use the hydration provided on the course.

http://www.spibelt.com/
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    I can't stand wearing my camelback while running but for my long training runs in the heat I have to wear it. I went through 72oz when it was 95 on a 12.5 mile run.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    None of the above for me, I use a handheld when I need to carry water.

Might I suggest you ditch the phone and get a Garmin or other GPS watch instead?
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    If you just want to carry your phone, get a Spibelt and use the hydration provided on the course.

http://www.spibelt.com/

If you have to have your phone this.

Otherwise I'd go for a Garmin or other GPS watch.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Long training runs I plan so I can refill my handheld on the way I can't stand having things strapped on me while running. During races, I use on-course hydration as I prefer to carry as little as possible, if aid stations are sparse then I will take my handheld and refill it to have in between.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I used my phone for the runkeeper app as well... don't have the extra money to invest in a Garmin right now. It worked just fine for my training and the day of the marathon, although I can say it is a little off on the mileage. For my marathon my phone died between mile 23 and 24, but the app read 23 miles about 4 minutes before I hit the 23 mile marker. Anyways, as for fueling, I use a fuel belt. There is no way I could use a camelback, as it would drive me nuts!
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    None of the above for me, I use a handheld when I need to carry water.

Might I suggest you ditch the phone and get a Garmin or other GPS watch instead?

This^^^^

I always use the course hydration too. Just be sure to figure out what they're providing so you can experiment with it. Other wise.. I'd stick with your gels or whatever fuel you use and just take water.

I never have had a phone on a course with me.
  • cjmas
    cjmas Posts: 63
    Options
    I've only done a half marathon, but I cannot imagine it'd be fun to carry either a fuel belt OR a camelbak for 26.2 miles! I did recently buy a 'wrist wallet' for running that my phone could fit into if I felt the need to carry it. (Not all of my running shorts have the little inner 'key' pocket, so it seemed like a wise investment.)

Personally, I find the fuel belts (I tried one on a 10 mile run) make my lower back ache. I've run 5.5 miles with a camelbak, but only out of necessity. I don't love it. Ditch the phone or find another way. The marathon should have plenty of hydration stations, too.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time running with a camelback. the bouncing and swinging makes me feel off. I ran a full with a hydration belt and was fine. I have an armband for my iPhone because I use an app on it to track my running and cycling.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use this:
    http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-FlashFlo-LR.aspx
    for my training runs. It doesn't jostle around much if I am wearing correctly. My longest run so far has been 10 miles and this seems to work well. I use the course hydration for races.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    I have a Nathan 4-bottle belt and would be completely lost without out. The single best running investment I ever made, although my Garmin GPS watch is a close second.

I sweat a lot and go through a lot of fluids on long runs, but this capacity (40 ounces - I replaced the 7 oz bottles with 10 oz ones) keeps me hydrated. For runs under 10 miles, I just use 2 bottles and that's plenty. The bottles with little one-way valves are totally cool - just grab the bottle and squeeze.

I tried a Camelbak first, but my main problem is how long you have to suck on the straw before anything comes out. That's okay on a bike, but when I run I need to suck in all the air I can. Every second counts!!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I use a Nathan handheld, but then I'm only going half marathon distance. I have a 21oz that I take for long runs and a 10oz for anything under an hour. Can't stand anything around my waist. Definitely would never do road running with a camelbak... maybe for ultra trail runs or something.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    I used my phone for the runkeeper app as well... don't have the extra money to invest in a Garmin right now. It worked just fine for my training and the day of the marathon, although I can say it is a little off on the mileage. For my marathon my phone died between mile 23 and 24, but the app read 23 miles about 4 minutes before I hit the 23 mile marker. Anyways, as for fueling, I use a fuel belt. There is no way I could use a camelback, as it would drive me nuts!

The same thing will happen with a Garmin. The reason, usually, is that you really ARE running further than the course markers. Courses are measured at the precise, optimal shortest route, angling and cutting every corner perfectly. None of us can do that, especially in crowded races. So just give yourself credit for the extra distance, you've earned it!
  • runnerdeb13
    runnerdeb13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i recently purchased and began wearing a camelback due to my extensive training and the heat. I found the first time it was a bit bulky and gave me a small amount of chafing on the sid of my neck where the strap may have been rubbing. I ran 15 on Sunday and now have a LARGE welt on my neck from again the chafing and I did use vaseline to combat this. Also not sure what happened but the bag was leaking from somewhere for a while, soaking my shorts through....any ideas, especially for the chafing?
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Personally, neither. I don't like the flopping around of a belt (I've tried several) or the extra weight of a camel back. If I'm running on the road and its going to be longer than 90 minutes (or less if its hot) ill drop some fluid along my route. If its on a trail, I've got this handheld thingy I like.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The Flipbelt is awesome for carrying things on long run like keys or phone. It fits flat against your waist and looks like the top of yoga pants where it flips over. I found out about them at one of the expo's before a 10k.

http://www.flipbelt.com/

FlipBelt_Royal__55086.1367527065.350.270.jpg
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    I use a handheld as I can never get the fuel belts to sit right on me although my husband has used both just fine. If you do use a handheld, make sure to practice with it and train yourself to either switch arms or sometimes rest your bottle arm. If I don't make it a habit to sometimes rest that arm, I end up with a very sore arm after a few hours. If you just need a belt to store things in, the Flip Belt is better than a SpiBelt in my opinion (http://www.flipbelt.com).