Dizzy when standing up?

Options
For the past few weeks when I stand up from laying or sitting I get dizzy and the edges of my vision go black. I called my doctor today and they want to see me, so I have an appointment for tomorrow. But I was wondering if anyone else experiences this.

I eat 1500 calories a day, so it's not from not eating. I run 3 miles twice a week and bike 9 miles three times a week.

I've always had low blood pressure, my mom does too. At the doctor's it's usually in the 90's over 60's. They've never remarked that it's too low, they've always said it's a good thing.

Replies

• debloves2ride
    Options
    glad you are going to the doctor - it does sound like your BP is to low. The amount of calories sounds like a healthy level, who knows it can be anything from your BP to low blood sugar etc... smart move calling your doc
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The first thing he asked is "are you eating?" Lol. I'm guessing it's BP related...
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Could be vertigo.....I was just diagnosed with it.
  • sarah2954
    Options

What is that? I suppose I could google it :)
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to always get dizzy when i stood up too fast for a couple of reasons - I was anemic for one, which meant my blood pressure was all over the place, and two because standing up from sitting causes a sharp, fast change in where blood flow is focused and if you're not used to that it can really get to ya.

it could also be over or dehydration. if you just started drinking a lot more or less, you're body might not be used to it and be putting up a fuss.

Good thing to be going to the doctor about it. It's always good to make sure.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have this from time to time... for me, it was postural hypotension (super low blood pressure triggered by sudden changes in position, i.e. standing up too fast) and it was partially caused by severe dehydration. As long as I drink a crap ton of water (I usually go through around 2 liters a day) it's not a problem. Hope yours is as simple as mine was! Good luck at the doctor.
  • bananapopsicle1
    bananapopsicle1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of vertigo before except in relation to high heights before; but then about 6 years ago I was diagnosed with it. Mine was from an inner ear infection; other people get it from whiplash/neck injuries (as far as I understand)...lots of info about it online. Mine took about 6 weeks to go away. Hopefully the doctor has some answers for you when you see him/her. Good luck and feel better!:smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You said you are eating 1500 calories per day but your diary doesn't show eating exercise calories. It appears that you are eating a net of less than 1500 if exercise is factored in and possibly under 1000. That could cause some problems.
  • Brandyr73
    Brandyr73 Posts: 9
    Options
    I do too. It is just normal for me. Lots of tests done. They think it is migraines. Apparently, some migraines don't hurt, but cause light-headed behaviors and the tunnel vision. If you have gotten regular migraines or wicked head aches in the past, this could be a contender.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Next time you feel like that lie/sit down and get your legs up as soon as you can. That'll get the blood flowing back towards your heart/head.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Vertigo is a symptom, not a diagnosis.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    Orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension. It is just where you get up from a lying/sitting position, and your bp drops too low, resulting in momentary dizziness/blackness. Before you stand up from a lying position, sit up and let your feet dangle over the bed/chair for a moment. You just need to change positions slowly to avoid the blood rushing down. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. As long as you are not walking while you have the blackened sides then it really isn't dangerous from what I understand:)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I've always had low blood pressure, my mom does too. At the doctor's it's usually in the 90's over 60's. They've never remarked that it's too low, they've always said it's a good thing.
    It's only too low if it causes you problems. And the symptoms you're describing are generally not dangerous, although it's annoying. I'm sure you're just fine and they want to see you "just in case".

I've had the same symptoms on occasion for as long as I can remember. I don't know what causes it to happen sometimes and not others.
  • sarah2954
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll update tomorrow.
    You said you are eating 1500 calories per day but your diary doesn't show eating exercise calories. It appears that you are eating a net of less than 1500 if exercise is factored in and possibly under 1000. That could cause some problems.

I had been netting 1300. I was eating back exercise cals, abotu 300 for a run and 400 for a bike ride. Then my weight loss slowed, and I was also having issues planning meals and snacks because of the fluctuating calories. Starting this past Monday. I decided to up my net to 1500, and not eat back exercise cals. I'm also not weighing for a month. We'll see how it goes...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have this from time to time... for me, it was postural hypotension (super low blood pressure triggered by sudden changes in position, i.e. standing up too fast) and it was partially caused by severe dehydration. As long as I drink a crap ton of water (I usually go through around 2 liters a day) it's not a problem. Hope yours is as simple as mine was! Good luck at the doctor.

Just an FYI, but 2 liters is NOT a "crap ton" of water. That is the bare minimum the average person should drink per day. I am largely sedentary, and I am on my 4th liter today. I am a former chronic dehydration patient--just had my urology follow up yesterday and he was SOOO proud of my intake/output.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll update tomorrow.

I had been netting 1300. I was eating back exercise cals, abotu 300 for a run and 400 for a bike ride. Then my weight loss slowed, and I was also having issues planning meals and snacks because of the fluctuating calories. Starting this past Monday. I decided to up my net to 1500, and not eat back exercise cals. I'm also not weighing for a month. We'll see how it goes...

So, then you are netting 1100 on bike days and 1200 on run days. You just plain are not eating enough when you exercise. I don't know if that is the source of you issue or not but it's concerniing for sure. 1200 calories is thought of as an absolute cellar not a recommedation and you are sometimes eating below that. Doing this for an extended period of time will likely cause you metabolic issues. Also, are you certian on your burns? Utilizing a HRM for max accuracy? And you are doing this 6 out of 7 days per week! Does this not set off any alarms for you?
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    Are you on any new meds? I take some that when I watch a sporting event and I stand and yell after a great play or score, I loose it and next thing I am getting up off the floor. People do get a kick out of that! Some meds just drop the BP while standing...
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Could you be anemic? I think vertigo and low BP is a symptom. I could be remembering incorrectly but I was anemic when I was younger and had (still have) low BP, and I had symptoms like yours.
  • tifanico
    tifanico Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Orthostatic hypotension or postural hypotension. It is just where you get up from a lying/sitting position, and your bp drops too low, resulting in momentary dizziness/blackness. Before you stand up from a lying position, sit up and let your feet dangle over the bed/chair for a moment. You just need to change positions slowly to avoid the blood rushing down. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. As long as you are not walking while you have the blackened sides then it really isn't dangerous from what I understand:)
    I have had this for a very long time and this is what I was told. I just had to get used to it, make sure that every time you stand up , you do it slowly. When working out when I have to go from sitting/laying to standing position, I make sure that my chin touches my chest as I go up. That helps a lot.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    When sitting down, blood vessels in your lower body expand to allow more blood flow to properly get through.

When standing up, the blood vessels immediately constrict (handled by the sympathetic nervous system) which pushed blood from the lower body to the upper body. If this does not occur fast enough, you basically stand up and have all the blood in your upper body start falling to the lower body. Your brain then loses a lot of its energy source almost immediately and that creates the dizzy feeling.

There are many different reasons that your sympathetic nervous system may not be reacting quick enough, diet being one of them. However, I am not your doctor and cannot give you medical advice on this topic.

I did get an A+ in neural anatomy though... yay me?