Insanity Workout

Options
I have been trying to lose weight since November of 2011. I have last 20 lbs in the past 2 months due to making healthy changes in my diet. I have decided that I need to exercise so I can have the least amount of loose skin as possible. I have decided to start Insanity today as my Day 1. I figured I need to be a little extreme since my weight is a little extreme. Does anyone have any tips/advice/encouragement for me starting this intimidating workout? My goal is to get through every video and complete the program. I feel like if I do that without quitting it will give me confidence to know I can change. Like I said I never workout and see a lot phenomenal success stories that say if they can do it, anyone can do it... But I feel like they aren't talking about me. Thanks to all for any help or support!!

Replies

• karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be don't try to keep up with the people in the video. In order to keep proper form, I will look to see what the exercise is, and then I don't look back at the tv screen until Shaun T says it's time for a break or a different exercise. I find that if I look at the screen, I end up trying to keep pace with them and that's when I start losing good form. This is a very fast paced, high intensity workout, so proper form is very important to avoid injury. Good luck!
  • Jackieonappy
    Jackieonappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Do your best. Most people cannot complete every workout the first time they do it, you will get better over time Enjoy.
  • luvhandles74
    luvhandles74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with karaks. Im on day 46 today, the first month(for the most part) I thought "There is NO way I can do this" NOW I feel great AND the workouts are tougher but I have gained strength over time. I modified and went slower when I needed to with the goal being to just get better. The whole time you watch the dvds all Shaun says it go at your own pace. Do what you can and then push yourself.

You'll do great!!
  • pdknight8185
    pdknight8185 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    there is a insanity group you can join everyone is going through the same thing
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I agree, do what Shaun T says. When he says go at your own pace, go at your own pace! Don't try to keep up with them. Just do it as fast as you can WITH the RIGHT form. Take breaks when you need to and drink a lot of water. Don't feel bad if you have to take a break. I am in week 4 and still need to take breaks sometimes.

Watch them a couple times to make sure you know the form before you start doing something. The form is important to prevent injury so make sure you know how to do it properly because he doesn't always TALK about what the proper form is.

Good luck!!
  • pushnhard
    pushnhard Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm on week 6. It can be intimidating , but it is soooo amazing what the body can do. I try not to pay any attention to the people on the screen; however, I do look up from time to time and I promise you they pause on several occassions throughout the workout (especcially a seemingly fit guy named Hakeel....month 2). Hell, even Shaun T gets tired. I recommend you invest in a heart rate monitor that shows the amount of calories that you're burning. My HRM pushes me to go hard. Remember 3500 calories burned = 1lb. Month 2 of the program will surely get you there. Let me know if you need any extra advice or motivation. YOU CAN SOOOOO DO THIS!
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Number 1 I suggest you get a heart rate monitor because with high intensity workouts like Insanity you want to make sure you heart rate is where it should be. Secondly, you most likely will not be able to hang the entire dvd. NO BIG DEAL. You do as much as you can and build up endurance. When I first started I could barely get through warmup without taking a break, but within a week or so I was able to get through the entire thing and push myself . The great thing about having HRM is that once you build up a little endurance and become familiar with proper form you can check to make sure that not only is your heart rate coming down on the rest periods but that you are working hard doing the interval. There were times I felt like I was pushing myself but my HRM told me different so I pushed harder. You will definately need some mental toughness to finish it but its definately worth it. Make sure you are eating enough because you will be definately burning a good amount of calories. Stay committed to it and you will see results. Good luck :drinker:
  • apnovack
    apnovack Posts: 40
    Options
    How do you log your calories burned with Insanity?
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Just because you need to lose extreme doesnt mean you need to work extreme. Insanity is an awesome program, but if you are not careful you can do some serious damage to your body. Take it slow. You will not be able to keep up with everything your first time around. Good Luck and have fun.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've done Insanity twice through now. The first time, I had lost some weight but was still out of shape, and it kicked my @$$. The second time, I was at my goal weight, ran regularly, lifted heavy, and did Crossfit... and it still kicked my @$$. Insanity is designed to be challenging no matter what your fitness level is. Don't let that discourage you! Do YOUR best, and don't try to keep up with the team on the videos. Even some of them stop for breaks during the workouts. My advice would be to modify as necessary so you can at least do something as much as possible. I had a hard time jumping when I was heavier, so sometimes I'd just jog in place or do push-ups during certain exercises, but it was better than just standing there and saying "I can't". That being said, sometimes you'll just need a break for water or air... take them! It's not about doing it perfectly, it's about improving yourself. You can do it! Feel free to add me if you want. Good luck!
  • rayraygraham34
    Options
    Trust me i felt like giving up yesterday.... but my progess keeps me going... You know those people doing the workout are inshape already and its even hard for them. So you go at your own pace... even if u cant go as fast as them...the goal is to keep ur body moving. I cant go as fast as them, and sometimes i have to stop cause my calves are killing me, but i still push myself to make it threw the whole thing. Its a really good workout and even though its tuff, you feel good that you didnt give up. I started Insanity last monday 7/9/ and missed the workout two days because of my schedule. I also started taking Oxy Elite on Thursday 7/12, and started my calorie counting on Saturday and ive lost 7 pounds. Its very rewarding to see all the hard work you've put in with just a week, and to already be showing progress. So dont give up, imagine how you will feel after you complete the 6 week workout.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    Hiya. Today I did my Fit Test, so I'm right there with you on starting. I did better than I expected, though I had to modify the jumping parts... I can't jump due to foot surgeries so when doing jumps to the side and stuff I would just step wide, that sort of thing.

I've been having a hard time getting my heart rate up at my gym classes lately so decided to switch it up with this. It certainly worked, my heart rate was good and high during the test.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    some folks do find insanity or p90x to be too much too soon... my advice is to look at the step back programs

P90 (not the X one) is a GREAT starting program.

As a beachbody coach I encounter folks of many different fitness levels. Not everyone is suited for Insanity or P90X to start - REGARDLESS of what the TV ads tell you.

Many times I lead folks to the normal P90 plan. After completing the P90, they are in a much better state to phase into the P90X or Insanity and not feel discouraged by trying to "learn algebra before learning how to add and subtract"

Too many times folks try to jump into something too aggressive and then get discouraged and stop and do nothing.

theres no shame in starting slower and building. Infact, your success rate is much higher with that approach
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    It. Is. Hard.

As advised make sure your form is correct, follow Shauns advice, it's more important to have correct form than it is to try and keep up....do not try and keep up lol!! You'll see from the workouts not many (any?) of them can get through without taking a break or slowing down and they've all completed Insanity previously!!

You will be amazed how your stamina grows and what your body is capable of, go for it!!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It take a while to get up to speed w/ insanity. I repeated the first month and then did the last month, so it was 90 days for me to complete my first round. I think I did most of the pushups from knees for the first 4-5 weeks.

I think it took me about 2 weeks before I began to believe that I could complete the program.

Insanity is simply built around the concept of complete exhaustion :) I'd recommend subbing simple squats for the jumps if your very overweight. No sense in beating your knees to death. Just keep moving until it's an official water break.

There's not a lot of difference in the workouts. Most of the circuits contain a cardio move, a squat move and an upperbody move.

Until my weight came down I really liked Pure Cardio since it has minimal pushups.

I won't bother to mention that the results come from the nutrition in combination with the increased activity <-- see what I did there?

Good luck, feel free to add me.
  • msherrodmorfin
    msherrodmorfin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello... I am sure you can do it.. However.. If you have NEVER worked out before.. Then I would start with something a little lighter.. Its called insanity for a reason.. :) There is lots of jumping (if I remember right).. I would for a first time start with a quick pace walk pop in those head phones and get going.. It would be upsetting to get an injury on day one..
    With those warnings in mind.. If you still want to do it.. Go for it.. Take it slow and do what you can.. Hang in there.. You are going to do great!! :)
  • RGorman621
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice and support!! I think I'm going to save a lot of frustration and try to get the form right and just keep moving when doing the workout. I am usually really private about my weight loss journey but I am really getting motivated by all the advice and experiences of others. Thanks!!
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    i've started a little bit of it, and i couldnt do half the exercises, so I kept moving, like doing crunches or things I know I could do. I did stuff like that. I've already lost 2 pounds. try it, keep your body moving
  • john1013
    john1013 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just got mine in the mail today, this post just helped me ALOT!!! thanks to all who added to this post. I now have a plan.....keep the correct form and dont keep up with people on video.
  • nicholemedrano
    nicholemedrano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start this INSANITY workout myself and i'm so thankful for all of your advice above! I know i'll probably have to modify some things as well but I'm determined to keep going!