Paleo diet? While being a vegitarian?

Options
I just saw a recent post about this but I wanted to ask if anyone has seen results from this?
Has any one who does not eat meat do a different variety of this diet? Like eat veggies,fruit, nuts,etc but has also cut out grains and or milk?

Replies

• jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Where does your fat come from? (aside from avocados and nuts)

You can't do a paleolithic/primal diet without meat. Animal fat/protein make up a large portion of your energy content.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    if you're a purist vegetarian (or vegan), eating completely clean-- no processed foods (bread falls into processed food imo since we buy it at the store), then news flash: you're already paleo. Go cold turkey on the grains & you're golden. Dairy is not paleo, btw. If you include dairy, you're Primal.
  • if you're a purist vegetarian (or vegan), eating completely clean-- no processed foods (bread falls into processed food imo since we buy it at the store), then news flash: you're already paleo. Go cold turkey on the grains & you're golden. Dairy is not paleo, btw. If you include dairy, you're Primal.

So if I cut out grains I could still have dairy but I would be okay? I could be "primal"?
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    if you're a purist vegetarian (or vegan), eating completely clean-- no processed foods (bread falls into processed food imo since we buy it at the store), then news flash: you're already paleo. Go cold turkey on the grains & you're golden. Dairy is not paleo, btw. If you include dairy, you're Primal.

So if I cut out grains I could still have dairy but I would be okay? I could be "primal"?

Yes, there are primal vegetarians. Instead of animal fats, you load up on olive oil, coconut oil, ghee and butter. You'll also have to really fall in love with the egg to meet protein requirements. It can be done.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    as long as you avoid legumes, grains, and soy you could definitely be vegetarian Primal. Primal encourages full fat dairy (Greek yogurt, raw milk, good quality cheese, etc). Paleo discourages dairy.