Low budget meal ideas!

Options
Hey everyone! So right now, I'm a college student from the UK in my last year and I'm moving away to university in September 2013. SO EXCITED. :drinker:

At the minute, I'm still living with my parents, and as much as I appreciate their offers for help I'd love to learn how to fend for myself starting NOW so I'm more prepared by the time I leave. :)

So, I was wondering, what kind of meals could I make that are healthy AND stay within a student budget? Because there's a fat load of good it's gonna do learning all these recipes if I can't afford all the stuff for it each week! Does anyone have any relatively healthy recipes that won't cause a huge dent in my budget each week? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack and drink ideas all welcome. Thank you!

:wink:

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Congrats - it's exciting to move off to university!
    :)

Rice is very cheap and filling - you can mix things like veggies, soya sauce, spices, etc. in it to keep it interesting. It's super easy to make too. :p Great for lunch or dinner, pair it with something obviously. And you can make some and it'll last for a few days if you make enough. My boyfriend and I get HUGE bags in bulk for like $10 and it lasts us a month or so (he eats rice a lot lol, me not as much but still enough :P).

For breakfast - oats! Mix it with fresh fruit or sweetener if you'd like. Again, you can buy it in bulk. We got 5 kg of oats for $8. I'm sure you could find cheaper deals. But people often spend like $5 on the prepackaged flavoured stuff - don't worry about those, get the oats you can use for baking and stuff like that.

Beans are great too for protein and stuff. We eat a lot of chickpeas (yes, we get those in bulk too! :P). Chickpeas probably 5/7 days a week aha. Romano beans are good too (they are good in rice I've found!). Spice them up and yum!

For the two of us, we spend about $50 a week on groceries. HOWEVER that's because we buy things like fake meats ($5 for 4 veggie burgers or veggie sausages) or shirataki noodles or something like that. If we were on a student budget still, we'd just avoid those! :P

We go out twice a week for fresh fruit/veggies, we eat a LOT of veggies lol.

Other ideas: cornmeal, potatoes, a lot of fruits and veggies (whatever is in season), pasta is OK in small amounts, tofu
    Soup is good to make large batches of ... then eat it when you don't feel like cooking! :P

Things I avoided on a student budget: meat (I don't eat meat now but it's really expensive), yogurt, prepackaged things, cookies, crackers, canned things (fruit, soup, anything :p).
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    So nobody then? Hahaha. :')

Edit: Oops, my bad @shaynak112, sorry. :)
  • desertowman
    desertowman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use to live off of tuna fish and rice. I lost all kinds of weight doing that .
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Cheap and healthy is a hard one.

If you get yourself a slow cooker and make home made soups, they are both economical, healthy and low calorie.
  • jenypri
    jenypri Posts: 46
    Options
    LOL sounds like the Jesus Diet
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty cheap normally. I eat cereal, milk and juice in the mornings. I eat baked chicken for lunch with frozen veggies (they are easy at work) then I eat more baked chicken and veggies for dinner.

I spend WAY more than most on groceries because I also buy A LOT of seafood, fresh veggies, fresh fruit, etc. But you can eat healthier things and it not be that expensive.

Also, peanut butter toast is a healthy breakfast. Super cheap. PB and bread.

For snacks during the day I normally munch on nuts.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My local co-op provides several recipes that make 4 (or more) servings for under $2 per serving:

http://commonground.coop/?page_id=130

While your prices will be different, it should give you some good ideas for healthy, relatively inexpensive meals.
  • Blaineyyy
    Options
    Oooh, I know it's difficult, that's why I asked to see if people have any suggestions. :)

Thank you for everything so far everyone, it's all great!
  • Byemma
    Byemma Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm a student too. I have two housemates with who I buy my food. We all have different breakfasts, but kinda the same lunch and always the same dinner.
    I would advice you to make sure you always have the basics at home. Make sure to have enough eggs, pasta, rice and potatoes. If you eat meat, make sure to buy the bigger packages. They will be more expensive at once, but it is cheaper than buying one at the time. (Only if you have access to a freezer though!). We are growing our own herbs (basil, for example) and also other things like strawberries and lettuce. Cheap! If you do buy lettuce, (for example ice berg), you can eat it different times a week. On your bread, or in two salads?
    If you buy broccoli, it is going to be too much for once. But if you boil it all and blend the remaining broccoli and freeze it; broccoli soup! Same with cauliflower.

Besides that, we buy everything as cheap as possible. For example, try to buy your fruit and vegetables at the market. We only chose to pay more for our bread, since we really like bread and want bread that is really good, not just eh.

Good luck!
  • Blaineyyy
    Options
    Ooooh, thank you guys! Both very helpful :)