Cycling shorts...mountain - road...what do you wear?

Options
Hi MFP cyclists!!! I am new to cycling...I have had my bike for 2 weeks and today I hit 103 miles. I am pretty proud and I really love it! I completed my first organized RIDE on Sunday 34 miles....see profile pic :wink: Anyway, while at the bike shop I noticed there are mountain biking shorts that look like regular shorts or hiking shorts and they have the padding!!!! So my silly question is....would a person riding a road bike look out of place wearing mountain bike shorts??? Just wondering...:bigsmile:

Thanks ~ Happy riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• krue1971
    krue1971 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Around here they would look out of place. Most of the guys I ride with don't wear baggies in the woods much less on the road. But it all comes down to personal choice. I started out wearing shorts over mine until I got tired of the seams rubbing me raw on long rides.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wear whatever works for you!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have two padded shorts I use. Both Sugoi brands, one pair tri-shorts, then other biking shorts.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I wear mine on my road bike , just because I was more comfortable with them as I'm loosing weight, never thought about looking out of place...lol

Connie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    For your own personal bike just make sure that you have a comfortable seat. If not, then go to a shop and have yourself sized and the proper seat installed. Now, if you were to join a spinning class you would want the shorts. Otherwise, you could spend the next couple of days in real pain.
  • coreykantola
    Options
    It doesn't matter, wear what you want! If you dont feel comfy in just lycra for the world to see you, wear baggy shorts. Usually baggy for MTB and full lycra for Road.

Ride Safe!
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Wear what ever you are comfortable with. I used to wear soccer shorts over my bike shorts until I felt comfortable enough to lose the "baggies". Some of the women I ride with has the same kind of shorts you are describing and even shorts with skirts. They are all for biking and that's what they are comfortable wearing. Congrats on your first organized ride! I have one coming up on Saturday that hits several wineries along they way. Happy riding indeed! :drinker:
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the greatest sport/hobby in the world! :smile:

I have to direct you to http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ - see rule 19

Seriously though, whatever you feel comfortable in!

:smile:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I do road, triathlon, and occasional trail riding (easy trails - don't qualify for mountain biking). I've never worn mountain bike shorts, and never will. I'm perfectly happy in my cycling/tri shorts. I'm comfortable in them, fit in with any crowds I may cycle with, and I just plain like them. Why gum that up by trying other shorts? Besides, mountain biking shorts just don't look very good to me.

With that said, I wear what I do because I like them. End of that sentence. If you like mountain biking shorts, then by all means, get you a pair or two and go to town. Nobody rides your ride but you. You might as well enjoy it as much as you can. If nobody else wears them? Then good for you for being a true maverick.

OH! And 100 miles in 2 weeks? WOW!!! Great job!!!

TriJoe.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Bibs are best.

Have specialized and nashbar bibs.
    Specialized good. Nashbar trash.

The flapping on loose shorts can get annoying after a while. Especially once you've compared it to typical cycling shorts.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will probably mix it up! Now that I have lost some weight I almost feel OK in the road bike shorts...but the others looked cute. Also my husband wears his bike short and jean shorts over them..I thought the mountain bike pants would look better..to me anyway...he could care less what he looks like :laugh:

Ride on!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Some people feel self-conscious wearing spandex (I know I did at first) either way your sit bones will thank you after a long ride.

Now I usually wear tri-shorts (same as a bike short with a lighter chamois so you can run and swim in them)
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wear the mountain bike shorts. To me they are just fine for longer rides, like 60 miles. I am self conscience and rather the baggy short look.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    For your own personal bike just make sure that you have a comfortable seat. If not, then go to a shop and have yourself sized and the proper seat installed.

THIS! I spent over $200 on my saddle and it was the best investment I made. My tushy is one happy camper.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I love my baggy shorts. Can't recall the brand, maybe Fox, but they're great. I also love the Sheila Moon v-waist shorts, comfy and a flattering fit.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the greatest sport/hobby in the world! :smile:

I have to direct you to http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ - see rule 19

Seriously though, whatever you feel comfortable in!

:smile:

That is the funniest thing I've read in my life!!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    The flapping on loose shorts can get annoying after a while. Especially once you've compared it to typical cycling shorts.

And any loose fabric is a place for bees to get trapped at high speed (you really don't want to get stung while flying down a hill)! I'd personally not do mountain bike shorts...I don't wear them even when I'm mountain biking. It's just more fabric to chafe and you're doing a lot more repetitive movements on a road bike than on a mtn. bike.