Hike Angel's Landing at Zion National Park?

Options
Has anyone hiked Angel's Landing to the top? The last time I was there I stopped at Scout Lookout because I was #1) a lot heavier and out of shape and #2) clutzy and afraid I'd fall off the mountain. Is it truly as treacherous as the website says? I know I'm going to be slower than some of the other hikers so I'd like to be able to move out of the way, but if the trail is narrow with drop offs as it says I'm afraid I'll be slowing them down.

Any hints or suggestions for conquering this mountain? We'll be there at the end of August.

Replies

• 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    wow! good luck!! :D
  • teenamai
    teenamai Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My dad says it's amazing, the pictures prove it as well! What an accomplishment that will be! So many beautiful/fun trails there! Good luck!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It's an awesome hike. The views are just unbelievable. I hiked it about 3 years ago and was 16 weeks pregnant, so you can definitely do it, unless you're afraid of heights. I wouldn't call it treacherous exactly, but you do have to be careful and have good shoes.

I'd recommend starting early and giving yourself plenty of time to complete the hike. It's only 2.5 miles each way, but the elevation change/steep grade and tricky footing makes it slow going. I'd say easily allow 5 or 6 hours. Stay well hydrated (the lack of shade is a significant problem) and do it at your own pace. You will have plenty of company.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! I looked at some pictures and the trail looks so steep! But, the beginning looks the longest with the real steep part only about a mile or so...
  • stennieh
    stennieh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Angel's Landing is one of my all-time favorite hikes!!! It is tough but you can make it! The last little bit made me queasy but go for it girl! The view is totally worth it.
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Angel's Landing is one of my all-time favorite hikes!!! It is tough but you can make it! The last little bit made me queasy but go for it girl! The view is totally worth it.

Hmm...did you get queasy because of the exertion or the altitude? Not hip on getting queasy, but I don't doubt I will since I'm a Flatlander going way up in altitude!