Menu help! What would YOU order?

Options
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/the-toucan-the-lion/menu

I don't know how I'd even BEGIN to calculate the calories of all these dishes! They seem so delicious though. I'm going there one of these days and I need some advice as to what you think my best (lowest calorie) bet would be.

Replies

• Angiesolomon
    Angiesolomon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe the prawns but go easy on the feta?
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326
    Options
    Maybe the prawns but go easy on the feta?

I probably should have added that I don't eat seafood. :(
  • MyYaYa0623
    MyYaYa0623 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    do they have a nutrition guide on their website? You might want to limit your eating out to locations that provide this info otherwise it's impossible to know the correct nutrition numbers.
  • kfitzpa
    Options
    do they have a nutrition guide on their website? You might want to limit your eating out to locations that provide this info otherwise it's impossible to know the correct nutrition numbers.

No, they don't. It's just a little restaurant in NY. I figured I wouldn't be able to figure out exact calories but I wanted to see what everyone thinks COULD be the lowest judging by the ingredients.
  • ctwm84
    ctwm84 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just did a search and could not find any nutritional information posted online, not even on their own website. Since starting MFP I refuse to eat anywhere that doesnt disclose the calorie count of their food. Who knows how the food is prepared and how much butter they are using...
  • kfitzpa
    Options
    I just did a search and could not find any nutritional information posted online, not even on their own website. Since starting MFP I refuse to eat anywhere that doesnt disclose the calorie count of their food. Who knows how the food is prepared and how much butter they are using...

Yeah, I'm the same way usually. But I want to "live a little" this weekend but still try to be as healthy as possible. I guess I'll just save up 800 cals... eat half the plate ... and hope for the best lol
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think I have been there before when I was visiting (maybe not though) and back then I wasn't watching weight. This place doesn't look like it has the best options, but here's what I would consider:

Blood Orange And Green Mango Salad radish, baby carrots, chili, thai basil, blood orange vin - ask for the dressing on the side, probably the best choice
    Duck Confit Mofongo crispy taro root, chinese sausage, salsa verde, fried egg - ask them to dry fry the egg, and put the sausage on the side, not sure if the deep fry the taro root, if they do, then don't get this.

Mains
    Roasted Chicken Breast choy sum, cashews, citrus chili sauce - This would be okay, ask them to dry cook or as little oil as possible

Sides
    Araka Waka curry pickled vegetables, toasted peanuts - nuts on the side
  • kfitzpa
    Options
    I think I have been there before when I was visiting (maybe not though) and back then I wasn't watching weight. This place doesn't look like it has the best options, but here's what I would consider:

Blood Orange And Green Mango Salad radish, baby carrots, chili, thai basil, blood orange vin - ask for the dressing on the side, probably the best choice
    Duck Confit Mofongo crispy taro root, chinese sausage, salsa verde, fried egg - ask them to dry fry the egg, and put the sausage on the side, not sure if the deep fry the taro root, if they do, then don't get this.

Mains
    Roasted Chicken Breast choy sum, cashews, citrus chili sauce - This would be okay, ask them to dry cook or as little oil as possible

Sides

Thank you for this. I was thinking the same thing for mains and sides
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    May I suggest, just go and enjoy yourself. It's one meal...don't eat until you are sick, but eat something that sounds yummy...Doesn't sound like a regular eatery for you, sounds like a special treat. Let it be that and get back to your regular food plan the next morning....
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'd probably do the blood orange and green mango salad (dressing on the side) and the roast chicken of which I'd pull of and ditch the skin and only eat about 4 oz of the meat. I'd also ask them how the choy sum that comes with the chicken is prepared and ask if it could possibly be steamed, or cooked with as little fat as possible. Very interesting menu. If I were just eating to taste my choices would be totally different!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options

Mains

Sides

I agree on the chicken for the entree. Sounds good too! This menu is making me sooo hungry haha.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    omg a lot of it looks pretty high calorie. lol

id go for the roasted chicken.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Beef Short Rib Tacos aromatic dried curry, queso fresco, pickled shallot

or

Burger apple wood smoked bacon, cashew nut butter, fried pickles

opps thats what I would have ordered ... the lowest calories would probably be Chili Tamarind King Prawns feta vinaigrette, thyme but ironically thats also probably going to be the most expensive plate on the menu haha
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    May I suggest, just go and enjoy yourself. It's one meal...don't eat until you are sick, but eat something that sounds yummy...Doesn't sound like a regular eatery for you, sounds like a special treat. Let it be that and get back to your regular food plan the next morning....

This. Self control is great though. Eat slowly and stop when you feel satiated. Take the rest home.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    When I eat out I have learned the hard way that salads always seem to be the best calorie choice. Most of the fat is usually in the dressing and most restaurants cheapen up on the cheese and nuts. In cooked veggie or pasta dishes the calorie bombs are hidden in how much fat they add. I remember choosing pad thai because it was vegetarian and then reading later it was 1200 calories! Salads with dressing on the side. Or eat half a plate of something else. Sauces are hidden calories and tons of salt usually. If it is just once in a while don't worry so much and enjoy. Eat in moderation and save your calories for the meal and make sure you have adequate exercise that day to help compensate.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Wow, nice menu! You won't do too badly if you avoid breads, nuts, and potato.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    You've got me hungry now ...

For shares it would be a toss up between the Scotch Eggs and the Meatballs and the Eggs would win.

For mains I'd have the chicken breast.

And I'll have a couple of glasses of Argentinian Red thanks ... Ah nuts to it, just bring the bottle.

Oh, calories you say? :)
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I agree! As long as it is a treat and not all the time.

It's my birthday next week and you can bet I'll be ordering what I want (within reason)!