Replies

• iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    eat them with hummus! mmmm mmmmmm!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I made a cold cucumber soup last year that I can't wait to make again! (cukes won't be here in Maryland in force for another couple of weeks, I think.) Use a blender to mix peeled cukes, chicken stock, yogurt, and whatever seasonings (I used onions, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper) you think would be tasty. I bet it would be good with coconut milk in place of the yogurt, too!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    My favorite Russian cucumber salad: cut cucumbers into slices or cubes, add some sour cream (or yoghust for fewer calories) with some fresh pressed garlic and salt! Yum! instead of garlic, you can use finely chopped onions (green onions are great). In any of these versions you can also add chopped fresh dill. These days I sometimes use fresh mint instead of dill, it is wonderful.

I do something similar to this. I make a dip out of Greek yogurt, lemon juice, garlic and salt and dip veggies into it. It works great with cucumbers (then it is basically tzatziki sauce except the cucumbers are dipped and not mixed into it).
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love to garden so we have the benefit of many different produce. My favorite refreshing salad is cut up cucumbers (with skin on), cut up tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion and a little amount of slivered almonds. I mix it with about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and some balsamic vinegar. It is WONDERFUL! I've also added a little blue cheese crumbles but that does increase the calorie and fat a bit. Good luck
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    i'll cut up about 2 cups worth and just add a little italian dressing... works for me!
  • Anniedrops20
    Options
    cukes, tomatoes, fresh basil, yellow or red bell peppers, little onion, little garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar with some water in the blender - delicious, refreshing fat-free, practically no calorie soup!
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Options
    Ice Cold Cucumber soup on a hot summer day
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Slice them with red onions a little red wine vinegar and dill.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i found this recipe last week and now aquired all the ingredients and will be trying it this week!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cucumber-watermelon-salad/

its basically cucumber slices + cubed watermelon + balsamic vinegar + sprinkling of sugar YUM perfect for this time of year.

I used to make a basic cucumber sandwich, too.. my fav bread + cucumber slices + cream cheese spread on bread. it is rather tastey!! and not so bad on sodium (think of a sandwich with luncheon meat! you take a huge sodium hit there!) and its easy quick to fix.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    just remembered I read a while back a recipe for cucumber smoothies...cucumber +ice/water + bit of honey in blender/food processor. sounded good to me but I never tried it.

or even chilling water with cucumber slices like they do at spa's would be nice ;)
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think I remember answering on another cucumber thread a few days ago. Might want to search cucumbers on the boards to get more ideas. Anyway, I like to hollow out a cucumber and put my tuna salad in the hollowed out area where the seeds were. Gives a nice crunch and really low cal because I am avoiding the bread. Folks at work call them my tuna boats. I also like to make a salad with thin sliced onion, sometimes tomato and dress with equal parts rice vinegar and sweetener. I like cucumbers with hummus (Athenos Roasted Red Pepper is my fav). I also like to smear a Laughing Cow cheese wedge on a Wasa crisp or rice cake, top with thinly sliced cucumber, and a few grinds of black pepper. I eat cucumbers almost daily.
  • deecutrone
    Options
    this sounds odd but it has a nice contrast of flavors
    sliced cucumbers
    watermellon,cubed
    red onion, thinly sliced
    feta cheese
    chill 1/2 hour or so before serving. You do not need a dressing because the watermelon juice gives it flavor.
    Just make what you need, it doesn't stay well for more than a day .

or you can try
    sliced cucumbers, lightly squeeze some of the moisture out of them
    add white vinagar,canola oil. Use equal parts of oil and vinagar ,
    white onion, thinly sliced and sprinkle with splenda . Salt and pepper to taste. it is not necessary to add S/P it just is allittle sweeter without it. You have to eat it soon or it looses it's crispness .
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    cucumber paradise sounds heavenly.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    *peeks in and curses* Another one? *walks back out*
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Tabbouli!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    While this was not what I was hoping for with this thread, I will say I prefer to eat cucumbers with jicama. You can julienne both or simply cube and toss with some italian dressing. Super light and yummy!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amiers11
    amiers11 Posts: 33
    Options
    I cut up cucumber, tomato, dill, and drizzle rice wine vinegar. Makes a great lunch or side salad. You can also add onion.

Another side salad, lunch, or dinner recipe w cucumber is I cut up chicken breast, add pesto, gabanzo beans, and cucumber and you have a light yet filling dish.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I put them in red wwine vinegar with pepper!! YUM!! Or you could cut a cucumber into 4s, scoop out the seeds and stuff them with hummus...mmmm! I make my own tzatziki sauce and eat it with falafel or toasted pita bread! Tomato Cucmber salad!! I make a quinoa salad with feta, quinoa, chickpeas, cucumbers, parsley, onions and red wine vinegar! :)
  • 1dresch
    1dresch Posts: 19
    Options
    Loved this one!

8 c. loosely packed torn boston lettuce
    2 c. seedless watermelon chunks
    3/4 c. quartered cucumber slices
    1/3 c. thinly sliced red onion
    1/3 c. Light Raspberry vinaigrette dressing
    1 T. Olive Oil Reduced Fat Mayonnaise
    Combine first 4 ingredients. Whisk dressing with Mayo. Add to salad, toss to coat.