Better exercise routine?

Options
I really need tips on better exercising. I was once able to lose 80lbs off of dieting and very light cardio before (gained 40lbs back) but had a lot of loose skin. I also lost a lot of muscle by dieting and not exercising. My goal is to lose weight, tone up, and build muscle. So far my exercise regime is not the best, I'm sure and I'm looking for some suggestions. Problems areas are my upper arms, stomach, and inner thighs.

Here's a basic of my exercise regime right now:

Daily:
Cardio - 1 hour walk at a moderate pace.

Every other day:
Sit-ups: 4 reps of 25.
Push-ups (on knees): 4 reps of 5-10
Thigh master:5-10 mins
Bicep curls etc: for as many as i can do at a time (1 rep of 30)

Not the best routine, but I'm looking to incorporate more into that and improve the routine I have now. I do not have a gym membership, but I do have 5 & 10 lb weights, 2 shakeweights, a large stability ball, a small stability ball (smaller than a basketball). And I am 23, 5'11" and weigh 196lbs.

Does anyone have ANY exercise suggestions? I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVD's! Any of Jillian Michaels are good. Thighmaster is a waste of time, ditch that (along with the shake weights) and start doing squats and lunges for a more effective burn. Walking is wonderful if your just getting back into exercising but soon your body will need more of a challenge. HIIT's (high intensity interval training) are awesome!
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to lose weight, diet is everything. What you eat and how much of it will make all the difference. Regarding exercise, my opinion is you need more cardio, and not just a brisk walk. Plenty of DVD programs out there, or consider running. If you are not use to running, look into the Couch to 5k program.
  • scottydewwannalosewt
    scottydewwannalosewt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Look into buying a dance video that you enjoy or look for Zumba that you can find online which burns a lot of calories.

Scott
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

Every other day:
    Sit-ups: 4 reps of 25.
    Push-ups (on knees): 4 reps of 5-10
    Thigh master:5-10 mins
    Bicep curls etc: for as many as i can do at a time (1 rep of 30)

Bad workout. You have to look at things and ask yourself if they are really helping you or if your time would be better spent elsewhere.

Are the sets of sit ups and bicep curls really helping you lose weight, are they burning many calories compared to what else you could be doing.... probably not.

Goblet squat
    Dumbell thruster
    Hip Thrust/glute bridge
    dumbell lunges
    dumbell rear foot elevated spit squat
    Push ups
    Burpees

Google these if you don't know what they are and put then into some kind of circuit. So 10 reps of each then on the next exercise with no rest in between.

You should be annihilated after 5 or so rounds.
  • Hammertown
    Options
    I'd say you will need more vigorous cardio if you want to lose weight... I personally love elliptical trainers. A 45min workout in my heart rate zone will burn 500 calories. I also enjoy long bike rides which aside of being fun, are also a great way to burn off fat. Do you have a bike? Maybe try commuting on your bike? Ride to work or school or the grocery store... You'll lean up quick.

Hiking or camping? I can lose five pounds in a weekend on a hiking/camping trip. You are climbing lots of hills with a heavy bag on your back - its a huge workout,

My advice would be to find outdoor cardio-intense activities that you enjoy and then work them into your daily and weekly routines. :)
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Since this is my first week back to exercising, I was taking it slow with the cardio, but do plan on starting a jogging/biking routine in next week. All of your guys' suggestions were very helpful. I'm going to create a workout schedule as soon as possible. Thank you all for your ideas!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Since this is my first week back to exercising, I was taking it slow with the cardio, but do plan on starting a jogging/biking routine in next week. All of your guys' suggestions were very helpful. I'm going to create a workout schedule as soon as possible. Thank you all for your ideas!

I also love Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD's! They are basic and great if you're just getting back into it. And later as you become fitter...you can add on to these workouts. Example - incorporate jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers and other calisthenics while doing the DVD.
  • joshd1974
    joshd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Goblet squat
    Dumbell thruster
    Hip Thrust/glute bridge
    dumbell lunges
    dumbell rear foot elevated spit squat
    Push ups
    Burpees

Google these if you don't know what they are and put then into some kind of circuit. So 10 reps of each then on the next exercise with no rest in between.

You should be annihilated after 5 or so rounds.

This is a good routine. Especially the burpees which I hate. Make sure the weights are heavy enough to be hard. I would add pullups or negatives as well. You might need a pull up bar for that though.
  • jencurtlong
    Options
    I agree with the comment of anything Jillian Michaels. 30 Day Shred is awesome as it starts slow and lets you build when you are ready to move on. There is also a good diet plan at Jillian Michaels.com if you need help with portion sizes and variety of foods to help you stay on track. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I find that I often don't have the motivation to do a circuit of exercises at home, with just me. I find that I don't push myself as hard as I should when I am my own trainer. I find that when it gets tough, I lessen up the intensity (either decreasing the weight or decreasing the reps).

I'm not saying that you need to go to the gym and get a trainer, but as others have mentioned, there are some great videos out there. I use videos as my trainer. I push my way through and also can see my progress.

You really need to up your cardio. When you say moderate pace walking, what does that mean? How many calories are you burning? There are videos that can give you a great cardio workout with more calorie burn in 30-45 minutes than your one hour of walking. Don't be afraid of the intensity, if you have to stop and take a break, that is fine. You will get there and soon be pushing your way through. Since you have been walking as part of your cardio, it really is time to up the intensity. I understand starting slow, and that is a great way to start a new exercise, but walking doesn't sound like a new activity for you. Maybe invest in a heart rate monitor so that you can better track your progress.

There are also great strength training videos. These will help you work towards doing pushups on your toes. For now, your knees are fine, but try to do one on your toes each day. How will you improve if you don't try? Pushups on your toes are so much more effective and use many more muscles. Or do negative pushups (I found them on youtube). I find those to still be difficult and can only do a few (I do these because I can barely do one pushup on my toes).

Also -- if you want to gain muscle, make sure that your weights are heavy enough to be difficult. In the video that I work with, she encourages you to use weights that only allow you to do 12 reps (you couldn't do 13 because it is too hard).

Best of luck with your new routine :)