How to lose body fat without losing Lean Body Mass?

Options

Replies

• newmom4411
    newmom4411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I'm 5'2.5" and started at 132 with 32% body fat. I'm now 113 with ~23%bf. I've lost very little muscle. I made sure to consume 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, but I had no lbm to begin with. To be at 20%bf like I want, I'd have to weigh ~109 also, but that seems too small. I think trying to gain muscle mass via lifting (and some excess calories) is the best bet for us.

That's a lot of protein! I hope you don't need to eat that much protein if you aren't lifting!
  • newmom4411
    Options
    You'll gain the weight back if you think of whatever you do to lose the weight as something you can stop once you reach goal. :wink:

That's why everyone says "It's a lifestyle change." You might not to exercise as aggressively or be as dilligent in what you eat when you're eating at maintenance level, but it's not something you can stop doing. Just like you can't say, "Well, I brushed my teeth and now they're clean. I can stop doing that now."

As far as avoiding losing lean muscle mass, set your weight loss goal to a half pound a week, increase your protein to at least 20-25%, eat most of your exercise calories, and get regular exercise including strength training.

Also, be aware that online BF% calculators... well, they kind of suck. Some more than others. Some calculate my BF is at 17% and some say in the 30s. I don't know exactly what mine is but I'd guess around 20-22-ish. So don't get too wrapped up in thinking, "I have so much to lose!"

Point taken..the reason why I said so was because till my pregnancy I never had a weight problem..I would always stay within 120-125lbs n eat whatever I want . I was active too..When I gained a bit I exercised n reduced portions for couple of weeks n all would b fine again. And I only had to restrict myself only couple of weeks a year ..This time I want to reduce my fat n hips too and am beginning to understand that its different from what I thought..
  • newmom4411
    Options
    Thank you. I am not looking at building muscle. I only want to reduce body fat .But twice a week doesn't sound bad even for a lazy person like me ! Some one told me not to try lifting weights if I couldn't do it life long and I am sure I wont b doing it other than for weight loss[fat loss] because I simply don't like to see me with muscle cuts in my arms. I just want to be healthy. Hope the more protein diet will help burn down fat!

"Building muscle" does not equal getting bulky or muscle-bound or becoming a body builder, it's just another word for what happens when there is weight-bearing exercise. I would actually suggest you *do* do it "life long." We lose muscle starting around age 30 and it accelerates from there. Keeping your muscles strong and building them holds up your joints and prevents supposed age-related hip, knee and back problems. It keeps your body efficient at burning fat, which is the best way to lose weight and maintain a goal weight.

It also is very important to keep your bones strong and prevent osteoporosis. Aesthetically, women really generally don't get bulky, and as you age, muscle definition looks a lot better than saggy skin. Doing something just "for weight loss" is setting yourself up for failure at both fitness and weight loss (and maintaining a weight you're happy with) itself. Once you start experiencing what it's like to get fit, you'll wonder how you could be any other way–and you win what was formerly a struggle to lose weight.

Also, a "more protein diet" won't help "burn down fat" unless you build the muscle, which actually burns the calories efficiently.

Thanks for all the advice.I needed some ,to be convinced of why weight training was so important.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

That's a lot of protein! I hope you don't need to eat that much protein if you aren't lifting!

I think you need to read all the great advice again. You should not stop lifting. So yes the protein level would need to be maintained as long as you have the muscles. That is why the grams of protein is based off your lean body weight. If you stop lifting you will lose muscle mass and so the protein requirement as well as calories requirements would drop.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

That's a lot of good information .. Just one more question..what happens when I stop the weight lifting? Does my metabolism slow down and will I end up gaining weight at the same amount of calories? Or should I lower my calories once I stop the weight lifting for a couple of months?

Im not sure why you would stop but if you dont continue to work the muscles they will atrophy. They will be absorbed by the body. Depending on if your in a calorie deficit will depend on whether it gets turned into fat. The less muscle you have the fewer calories your body will require. Muscle burns calories all day everyday.

This as well as others who expressed similar info.
  • JelaineO
    JelaineO Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well my dilemma is that Im getting "swole" lol from doing weights and i have stopped losing body fat! Oh well... just cant win :bigsmile:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Well my dilemma is that Im getting "swole" lol from doing weights and i have stopped losing body fat! Oh well... just cant win :bigsmile:

Now thats a good problem to have. :happy:
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I'm 5'2.5" and started at 132 with 32% body fat. I'm now 113 with ~23%bf. I've lost very little muscle. I made sure to consume 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, but I had no lbm to begin with. To be at 20%bf like I want, I'd have to weigh ~109 also, but that seems too small. I think trying to gain muscle mass via lifting (and some excess calories) is the best bet for us.

It's really not much protein, because I have very little lean body mass. Only 87 lbs actually, and 87g of protein is definitely doable. I am only doing bodyweight exercises for now.
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    Thank you. I am not looking at building muscle. I only want to reduce body fat .But twice a week doesn't sound bad even for a lazy person like me ! Some one told me not to try lifting weights if I couldn't do it life long and I am sure I wont b doing it other than for weight loss because I simply don't like to see me with muscle cuts in my arms. I just want to be healthy.

If you are eating in a deficit you won't build muscle. You will maitain most of the lean muscle you have. Also, as a woman without the benefit of testosterone, you would have to work very hard to build muscle even if you wanted to. The weight lifting will help you burn fat and keep lean muscle mass. Look for a beginer program that has low reps and the highest weight you can do. 3 recomendations are Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting For Women.

BTW, how much muscle cut you get will depend more on your body fat % than on lifting weights. If you stay just above 20%, which
    is a healthy zone for a woman, you will look lean but smooth and not cut.

Thank you, this is so helpful. I really want lean defined muscles and after YEARS of lifting weights off and on, I do have nice shoulders and biceps and i have to say even when i am off the wagon i seem to keep this muscle now that its there. But it helps to be reminded that lifting not only gives muscles a nice shape but helps to burn the fat. I started doing more cardio than lifting because i didn't feel i was losing fast enough. Guess i need to meet in the middle somehow.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    At those numbers, your lean body mass is 80.6 lbs. which certainly would suggest you have quite a naturally petite frame at 5'2".

Maintaining lean muscle mass doesn't simply happen just because you start resistance training - you want to offset the loss of muscle mass due in part by dieting by 1)nourishing your body with proper nutrition and 2)recruiting the fast twitch (Type II) muscle fibers during exercise. These fibers are activated when working against, at minimum, a moderate amount of resistance or engaging in quick movements. For quick movements, engage in calisthenics or body weight exercise that focus on full body movements using interval training.

Use a perceived rating of exertion scale (0 for really light/10 for very challenging) to determine proper volume (amount of resistance x total reps) of an exercise. For example, if you do 1 set of bicep curls using 5 lbs at 12 repetitions, by the end of the exercise you should assess a difficulty of at least 5 or 6 (on a 0-10 scale).

Finally, other benefits of exercise to consider:
    -helps maintain a high level of independence and quality of life in your later years.
    -training the fast twitch muscle fibers helps stabilize insulin sensitivity.
    -reduces the degree of sarcopenia (muscle atrophy) experienced after age 40.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat bat a slight deficit and pick heavy **** up 3x a week.
    www.stronglifts.com
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    OP, read what I posted a few days ago. This will give you a better understanding. It's pretty hard to gain significant amount of muscle, especially for us women. You can eat at a calorie deficit, lift weight, and not BULK. I believe you need a caloric surplus in order to put on the muscle lbs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/671533-attention-women-who-are-scared-of-becoming-bulky
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with lifting weights and eat sufficient protein, however keep in mind that checking your body-fat online is not as accurate as using a body-fat analyzer.
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    lift weights.

This! ^^^^^^^^
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

It's really not much protein, because I have very little lean body mass. Only 87 lbs actually, and 87g of protein is definitely doable. I am only doing bodyweight exercises for now.

Indeed. I am doing 200g per day while cutting, When I switch to bulking I am going to 250.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    First step is to get an accurate measurement. Those online calculators put me at 8% less than the bod pod (much more accurate)--does your gym or doctor have one?
  • ocukor1
    ocukor1 Posts: 66
    Options
    You don't have to pump iron and bench press 200 lb to be considered lifting weights. when people talk about lifting weights, they mean resistance training. Resistance training could be anything that puts your muscles to work, the astronauts have to do that in space in order to still have any muscles and bones left after spending a long time in a weightless condition. There are many resistance exercises out there which can help you maintain your muscle mass. Anyone, by just losing weight, is risking to lose muscle mass as well, and also risking to slow down metabolism. Resistance training is really important to maintain the healthy weight loss and even increase the metabolic rate.