Too much protein... is this really an issue?

Options
I have "dieted" all my life. Up and down. This time, I am trying to do everything right and am leaning more towards permanent lifestyle change. So I want a better understanding of what I am really dealing with here. Carbs, Fat, Calories, even Sodium I understand why those things in excess are bad for me (us, everyone). But why do I care if my Protein limits are exceeded almost everyday? I'm working out... cardio every single day.. strength training every other day. So, should I be concerned about my protein being over? We are talking anywhere from 25-75 over my daily limit. I am eating a lot of meat (seafood, grilled chicken breasts, eggs) to avoid the cabs and the higher calorie items like pasta and breads... but on a day like today, i am going to go over my limit by 61 and I don't know if I should cut back on what my dinner is planned to be and opt for a plate of spaghetti just so that I won't go over?!

Everything is always under the daily limits by the way. Any feedback you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Protein helps you to build lean muscle mass. I'm always over to and I have the mindset of better over than under. And if you're using the MFP defaults for protein, I think they are ridiculously low. Don't know if that answers your question or not.
  • Belladonna261
    Options
    The my fitness pal protein rates are very low, my personal trainer said I should be eating significantly more than that so if you are in the red do not worry, try to keep your carbs and calories in line and focus on that.
    Especially since you are doing strength exercise, I wouldn't be adjusting your eating habits to play to that guideline.
    Good luck :)
  • KelseyPalmtree
    Options
    Yeah, I go over on protein almost every day. I was wondering if it was a bad thing too! lol.

But, from what I've heard from other MFP users, the MFP protein goals are pretty low. And, it doesn't hurt to have more protein. Like another user said, it builds lean muscles, and muscles help you burn calories. So I'd say eat as much protein as you want, and just monitor your other macros :)
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Yeah 15% of your calories is pretty low. I have mine adjusted pretty high (40%) due to a cutting diet while strength training.

I think 25-30% is a good number for most people, and in particular for those doing even moderate excercise.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It is best to do a min of 1g\lb of lean body mass as well as a min of .45g\lb lean body mass of fat (no trans obviously). Whatever you fill the rest of your cals with doesn't matter although between food and supps you should make sure to get enough MICROnutrients as well. You can adjust the MFP recommended values on Home>Goals>Custom
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    If I don't bust through the default protein target then I am doing something wrong.

For me, anyway.

Not crazily though, check out 'rabbit starvation' for the effects of too much protein. This is an unusual amount though, I would imagine that most of us could not eat that much daily.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    the protein targets on this site are very very low. I'd stay FAR AWAY from the recommended macro's if your goal is to lose weight.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Typical weight loss macros are 40-30-30
    (percentage of daily calories from Carbs-Proteins-Fats)

You can stick to MFP's calorie guidelines, then go in and select "Custom" and select these percentages to help understand the breakdown a little more. But really, unless you're having MASSIVE amounts of protein that your body can't break down, you're doing fine.
  • cookadook
    cookadook Posts: 41
    Options
    Everyone has been very helpful! I feel much better now how protein will play a part in my food choices going forward. I appreciate the information!!