Help for the night munches

Options
I do pretty well during the day, but find a strong desire to eat right before bed. When I fight this urge I lose weight...but I feel very hungry and irritable when I do. Any suggestions?

Replies

• amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Leave yourself a hundred or so calories so you can have a snack before bed. Is it the urge to snack or the actual feeling of being hungry?
    If you want to munch on something, I'd suggest air popped popcorn.
    If you are actually starving, I would suggest something with more volume like raw fruits and vegetables. I'd also try drinking some hot tea as that curbs your appetite.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Go to bed earlier OR

Have a glass of warm milk with nutmeg

The milk protein will quell the hunger and the nutmeg and milk will make you sleep.

More importantly . . . sounds like you're eating something around 2 hours earlier that is sweet enough to make you hungry later. Might that be true?
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner pretty late but still a few hours before bedtime. Whenever I skip dinner I lose weight but even when I have dinner I get hungry before bed. When I was pregnant a year and a half ago my stomach would hurt really bad in the middle of the night until I ate something. That right before bedtime is when I have most of the desire to eat sweets or snacks or seconds - whether I'm hungry or not.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. I enjoy eating at night so I eat 2/3 of my calories between 6:30 & 9:30 then off to bed. My last feeding (8:30 - 9:30 PM) is typically double the size of my other meals (1400ish cals versus 700ish). I like going to bed full so I plan my meal accordingly. It will not hamper your weight loss to eat at night, just stay within your calories and you'll be fine. Don't let the bro-scientists scare you.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Pretty simple: eat before bed.

I have this problem. I find a protein/fat snack helps the issue more than a carby snack, so I save my daily peanut butter treat for the evening.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. I enjoy eating at night so I eat 2/3 of my calories between 6:30 & 9:30 then off to bed. My last feeding (8:30 - 9:30 PM) is typically double the size of my other meals (1400ish cals versus 700ish). I like going to bed full so I plan my meal accordingly. It will not hamper your weight loss to eat at night, just stay within your calories and you'll be fine. Don't let the bro-scientists scare you.

This is excellent advice. I used to have the urge to eat at night until I started eating most of my calories about five hours before bed. I also eat 2/3 of my food in the late afternoon. I try to get to bed before 10:00PM. It took me a long time to figure this out. It may work for you, too.
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know what methods work as I try them, God willing!
  • CJisinShape
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know what methods work as I try them, God willing!
  • love2nicks
    love2nicks Posts: 21
    Options
    if you are hungry eat, but if you get the munchies try to distract yourself. I personally will crochet while watching TV, that keeps my hands, eyes, and ears busy and I don't think as much about food.
  • Gyllain
    Gyllain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions - must remember to eat late and crochet, I used to enjoy a bit of crochet!
  • kilojoule
    kilojoule Posts: 74
    Options
    I had the same issue and kept sabotaging myself with late night frenzies...now on a intermittent fasting diet and i love it. I get to eat big meals and go to bed with a full belly. May not be for everyone but it is working well for me

www.leangains.com

just read most of what this site has to offer and applied it to my lifestyle and goals.
  • siegelmh145
    Options
    Air popped corn is the answer. I pop a quarter of a cup and it is plenty of food to get me through the night or between any other meal. If it is too plain for you, use pam butter spray. I also put garlic on it too! but that's just me.