new to MFP. any runners around?

Options
Hello all!

Thanks to a huge lifestyle change, I've gained a few more pounds than I'd like and want to address it before it becomes a real problem. I've spent my entire adult life working in stables and riding horses for a living. That's a 10-12 hour day, 6 days per week, either on my feet or on a horse. Suffice to say, I could eat just about anything and never have to think about it! In addition to the horses, I took up running a little over a year ago and just completed my first half-marathon in June! Around the same time I finished the half and took a break from running, I left the stables and my activity level was obviously reduced in a huge way. I'm having to re-haul my diet to compensate for that change, which is proving to be a challenge.

I'd love to connect with a few people for some extra motivation! Especially any runners training for some longer distance races - I've signed up for another half in February and my ultimate goal for next year is to do a full marathon in the fall. It's always extra motivating to see other people training for similar events! At the same time, I do feel it's great to have a diverse group of people in one's circle. :)

Replies

• robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

It's still hard for me to think of myself as a runner, but I completed the C25K program last year and (after a health issue sidelined me for several months) got back into it a few months ago. I'm getting ready for my first race next month, a 5 mile run. I'm toying with the idea of running a half-marathon in the spring, but still feel a little intimidated by the idea. My longest run so far (last weekend) was six miles. I'm not terribly fast, but as I read on somebody's profile here today, "Whether it's a 14-minute mile or a 7-minute mile, it's STILL A MILE." :)

Friend request on the way...
  • thefullmontysmom
    thefullmontysmom Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just posted a topic about any fellow equestrians out there lol!

My first competition horse is semi-retired, and my new baby just turned 2...so I haven't been riding nearly as much as I used to! I also used to manage a show barn, and with the mucking and turn out and a lesson every night, well like you said I could eat what ever I wanted!

I then moved and had my daughter...and then went to a desk job...well in less than 4 years I managed to pack on over 55lbs!! SO I have commited to a change my self! I am down almost 20 lbs and am going to yoga 3 times a week. I started jogging 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe how much I loved it! Especially since I used to detest jogging! I am no where near a half marathon and I am slow lol but I am getting there!

I love my Iphone! Best running tool ever! The 'Run Keeper' ap is awesome!!
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    HEY! I don't have the "runner's body" but I love to run. I am doing my first 10K in September and first 1/2 marathon in June 2013!!! :) Add me if you would like!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    HEY! I don't have the "runner's body" but I love to run. I am doing my first 10K in September and first 1/2 marathon in June 2013!!! :) Add me if you would like!

Still keep hoping that eventually I'll look like a runner, or at least some kind of athlete....
    Currently tri training. Did my first half marathon in Nov 2011, then another in Feb. Have my last tri at the beginning of Sept, and my next half at the end of Sept. A little worried I might not be ready for it!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    ME!!! I'm a runner! I've just started training for my second half marathon. And me if you want.
  • stevee71
    stevee71 Posts: 29
    Options
    Training for a trail marathon next Spring so feel free to add me. :)
  • shanse21
    shanse21 Posts: 26
    Options
    So glad to hear from so many inspiring people! To all of you looking at your first longer distance races: you can do it!! Really. If I could do it, so can you. Trust your training. :)