Running but seeing no results!

Options
I have only recently started taking up running in the last 3/4 weeks, i run about 3 times a week for 45 mins - hour which i never used to do, but my weight has not changed at all! Does anyone know if this is because i have gained muscle which weights more than fat or because my body is just refusing to lose weight? Anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• LariRB
    LariRB Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It may also be the WAY your running. Are you running the same pace? The same distance each time? I know its very effective to switch up the intensity and pace of the run. For example if you always use the treadmill, maybe switch back and forth between different inclines. If you run on a trail/ in your neighborhood, try running at a steady pace for 2-5 min and run at a sprint for 30 seconds to 2 min, then repeat. You basically have to confuse your body so that it tends to burn fat. If your doing similar runs each time, then your body has most likely adapted. I hope this helped you!
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more to do with your diet than activity level. If you haven't changed your diet, you most likely will not see much change.
  • megancarlotta
    Options
    I would free frustruated too!

I have been doing a mix of running and and strength training. Last month I only lost 1.5 pounds, but I lost 1 inch around my hips and an inch around my waist. So sometimes the scale really does lie!

Keep going!
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Measure your waist, chest etc. That gives you a clue whether you're gaining fat or muscle. And yes, the better exercises are fork-put-downs and table-push-aways. Don't eat to little, but eat right!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I experienced more weight loss when I added running to my workouts. What's your diet/calorie goal like?

And any difference in how clothes are fitting? As others have said, you may be losing inches, but for whatever reason it doesn't show on the scale.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty short amount of time to expect to see big result in. Slow and steady wins the race (pun intended, LOL). I personally haven't noticed a huge weight loss since I started running, but I was already close to my goal weight when I started. I have, however, noticed a change in the way my body feels--especially my legs and my core. They definitely feel firmer.

Diet is 80% of the equation when it comes to weight loss. If you have that part down, running (and other exercise) completes the equation.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Looking back at my progress since I started running, I only dropped about 2lbs over about 4 months - but I didn't (still don't) have a lot to lose. But I did have to go out and buy new jeans and shorts during that time, because I dropped a size after starting the running.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Try interval training...instead of a steady pace.

Are you eating back your calories earned from running? If not, you are not eating enough.

I dropped the most during my C25k training which is basically interval training because it is a walk/run interval program.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation. I figured that I was gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously. For example, I might have lost 3lbs. of fat, but gained 4lbs. of muscle. On a scale that looks like a 1lbs. gain. But a total lie!

Just keep going!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I have only recently started taking up running in the last 3/4 weeks, i run about 3 times a week for 45 mins - hour which i never used to do, but my weight has not changed at all! Does anyone know if this is because i have gained muscle which weights more than fat or because my body is just refusing to lose weight? Anyone else experienced this?

It all depends on what you are eating and drinking, to lose weight you need a deficit. Exercise alone will not cause weightloss unless you are taking in less calories than you expend daily.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    During that time you have probably gained 2 to 4 lbs in increased blood volume and increased glycogen and water storage in the muscles. Give it another few weeks and as long as you're not eating too much the scale should start to drop.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think if you aren't eating right/sodium is high/or eating too little or too much you will not see a change physically. Maybe your legs will tone up and your heart rate will improve but otherwise not much else. You have to consider diet & how much you are eating. An HRM helps improve accuracy as well.

I'm running too and I know that most of my success comes from what I put in my mouth. Running is just like icing on the cake for me... makes me healthier.
  • xachooo
    xachooo Posts: 42
    Options
    Running burns a lot of calories for the time invested in doing it, but it will also make you more hungry because your body will demand more fuel. Unless you are pretty strict at what you are putting in your mouth, it seems results are tough to see on the scale.
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    And yes, the better exercises are fork-put-downs and table-push-aways. Don't eat to little, but eat right!

Love this!!! :)
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I dropped the most weight when I took up running. I noticed that I lot of runners that do a fair amount of distance each week tend to get hungrier. I'm the complete opposite and do not have an increased appetite after running. Everyone is different, but I agree with other posters that nutrition is key. Some people assume that since they ran a couple of miles that they can eat much more. Running burns about 70-100 calories on average per mile ran. One bad nutritional choice can throw those hard earned calories out the window. That goes for whatever type of exercise you are doing.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    During that time you have probably gained 2 to 4 lbs in increased blood volume and increased glycogen and water storage in the muscles. Give it another few weeks and as long as you're not eating too much the scale should start to drop.

^This. Keep it up! Lasting changes take time. It will happen!