Does weight have any affect on job search?

Options
Do you think that being overweight can affect a person from getting a job??-And Im not talking about jobs like a personal trainer or something of that nature because of course being overweight can affect you from getting a job. I mean like a secretary job, etc.

Replies

• trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    yes. There have been a number of studies on this. Interviewers hire people they like and people like others that are similar to themselves, proven over hundreds of studies. This is why "mirroring" is so useful in business engagements.

Also, in corporate environments, people who exercise "regularly" earn $10k more annually, iirc.
  • treetpflyer
    treetpflyer Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As a business owner I can tell you that weight does have bearing on your job search.
  • laclaire19
    laclaire19 Posts: 68
    Options
    Well that sucks...Treet what do you do for a living if you dont mind
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight does have to do with getting a job. Health care costs are so high that employers are looking at the cost of people that are overweight. There have been lots of studies lately.

Also, people have wrong impressions of over weight people, they automatically think you are lazy and stupid.
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yep, not only do I loose out on jobs because places would rather hire the young dumbs for cheap and have 3 month turnovers but also because my butt is big.
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    It definitely does in most cases no matter what the job is.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and have scored every job I have ever applied for (I'm a Speech Pathologist). I think a big part of it is dressing appropriately for your size, and being well-prepared for interviews.
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    This has been discussed many times here and elsewhere. I think it would be foolish to think physical appearance has no bearing on obtaining certain jobs. The more public or materialistic your job, the more your appearance matters. I am a paramedic and with the exception of weight limits, my weight never barred me from getting a job. On the other hand, I have been told by many friends who are drug reps that given my education and background I would be a stellar applicant were it not for the fact that I absolutely do not look or dress the part. I have lost well over 100 pounds, not for a job, but for me and my wife. If that opens doors great but honestly I do not care about that.