Heavy Lifting and high protein meals?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I am looking for some idea's for a basic high protein meal plan that would be good to use in combo with heavy lifting. I am on a budget and not into buying a ton of food and prefer to keep my meals simple

Anyone have any idea's they can share? Thanks

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Might be boring but it's a start.

EDIT: The chicken might sound boring but I keep switching spices and seasonings and I always grill it over charcoal. It's good stuff.
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is the cheapest protein you can get. As far as meals go, i prefer chicken breast with broccowli. You can also do salmon or tilapia as the main protein source. I also mix protein powder in with oats to give them flavor and add decent protein to any meal.
  • kopmom
    Options
    Thanks !
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I had a great brekfast this morning.

Mix one scoop of whey with 3 egg whites(you can add some sugar free toriani syrup for flavour). beat well and make a pancake. top with half a cup greek yoghurt and some blue berries

300 cal
    50 grams of protein
    5 carbs
    (depending on ingredients obviously)

and tasted Yum to boot!
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    if you don't mind repeats. I take chicken breast strips, green peppers and onion and cook them with fajita seasoning. Then when I go to warm it up for dinner, i put it in an egg white omelet. High protein!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is the cheapest protein you can get.

Pretty much. I buy a 5 pound bag at Sam's Club for $32.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3900026&navAction=

After that eggs and chicken breast make for good cheap protein and you can do a lot of different things with both of them to avoid boredom.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Today I had a lean turkey burger patty, with a slice of pepper jack cheese on it and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. SO good, and 51 grams of protein!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk, and eggs. Cheap as ****, good proteins.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    So many interesting ideas guys! Keep them coming.
  • mszebra
    mszebra Posts: 94
    Options

Mix one scoop of whey with 3 egg whites(you can add some sugar free toriani syrup for flavour). beat well and make a pancake. top with half a cup greek yoghurt and some blue berries

300 cal
    50 grams of protein
    5 carbs

and tasted Yum to boot!

This is going to be my breakfast tomorrow!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

300 cal
    50 grams of protein
    5 carbs

and tasted Yum to boot!

This is going to be my breakfast tomorrow!

make sure to cook in a nonstick pan and even then, spray it down a lot, and let it cook on a medium heat.
    I was impatient and cooked it on high and it stuck to the pan, i got scrambled pancaked.. so be patient.. lol when it doesnt stick to the pan at all.. then flip :)
  • madmex569
    madmex569 Posts: 49
    Options
    i dont use protein powder. chicken breast is gr8. ton of protein. low fat. eggs and tuna is really good also. i dont use the protein drinks because id rather eat my calories instead of drinking them. but that is just me. good luck
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do lots of chicken and turkey, but switch up the spices. Egg whites and protein shakes or greek yogurt in the mornings. Love hearing more ideas though! I'm currently aiming to do a low carb high protein diet, and my biggest struggle has been my carbs, but I've found different seasonings can really spice up chicken and turkey! Also, in your protein shakes, do a half a cup of cottage cheese, water, and some ice, and you just increased your protein by 15g and its soo good.
  • kopmom
    Options
    I'm currently aiming to do a low carb high protein diet, and my biggest struggle has been my carbs

I try to watch my carb #'s too. Too many carbs blow me up !!
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm currently aiming to do a low carb high protein diet, and my biggest struggle has been my carbs

I try to watch my carb #'s too. Too many carbs blow me up !!

I take SunWarrior raw protein with my oatmeal post lifting. It's my staple meal every day. Gives me a 50/50 ratio for the meal, then I take another scoop at lunch and usually have veg for that meal.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I like to eat about 150 or more grams per day...
    Right now I rely on greek yogurt (pretty nice price at Trader Joes brand) Designer whey protein, chicken breast, ground beef...

after that I like sunflower seeds, peanut butter, cheese of course like parmesan or lowfat shredded...

eggs of course...

Glad you want to lift and eat protein,,,I think that is smart:)
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    try grilled chicken with greek seasonings (a lot of oregano), with light feta cheese and tzatziki sauce on top. I add olives, tomato and onion. So good and different, and very high protein!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    When I want something really easy and cheap I just take a can of chicken (you can do a can of tuna but I prefer chicken) and make chicken salad out of it.. just a tbsp of mayo, mustard and pickle relish and I put it in a tortilla usually. or on bread.

Also boneless skinless chicken breasts are awesome. you can do so many things with it.

I also eat greek yogurt and cottage cheese for snacks on a regular basis. And protein powder.
  • alexias9
    alexias9 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i like to mix a scoop of high protein/high fiber shake mix into my yogurt, coffee because i don't eat enough to get the amount of protein i should. it makes the food taste better too. cheap and effective. theres tons of recipes of things you can make from the shake mixes (ie smoothies)
  • Matthew_Halton
    Options
    i found some really ace protein bars on eBay, they worked a treat, other than that, i tend to eat lots of dairy (even though some people say its the worst thing to do) and lots of oily fish and red meat, also just regularly rather than kicking the *kitten* out of it, good luck! p.s. most body builders tent to eat their body weight (in kg) and an extra 15% in grams of protien a day to consistantly gain muscle mass