What to mix with protein powder?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I want to try doing a protein shake in the AM. What is good to mix with protein powder (liquid wise)? I prefer my shakes thicker, anything that will not make it taste like flavored water??

Replies

• yazzy6753
    yazzy6753 Posts: 3
    Options
    You know what I love- protein powder, greek yoghurt (nice and think and I'm a full fat girl) with chia seeds and protein powder. SO good!! :)

Milk is also good (have you tried almond?) and add some water and berries, banana, PB2, LSA,
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    i mix my smoothies with one of those small containers of cottage cheese (90 calorie snack packs), pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, protein powder and water. add chia seeds or flax seeds or whatever too. the cottage cheese adds creaminess.
  • llw1013
    llw1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mmm...bumping...
  • blackmagic10
    blackmagic10 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    frozen yogurt,peanut butter,bananas and ice
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Unsweetenend almond milk and ice cubes. I also put my protein powder in a green smoothie. Mix with 3 cups spinach, 1/2 cup of berries, and some almond butter. It may not sound too appetizing, but it is very good.
  • jasonthekidd
    Options
    Somewhere here on MFP about a week ago I saw a long thread with a lot of protein shake recipes...need to find it. :-)

I like just water if my calories are high or soy milk.

Found one...here ya go...http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/524692-your-favorite-protein-shake-recipes?hl=Protein+shake+recipes&page=5#posts-9388443
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    almond milk
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    banana, coconut water and chia seeds. a little agave nectar if you need sweets.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My protein shake is pretty simple; almond milk and a bunch of different berries.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    MIx mine with Tropicana 50 OJ and a tablespoon of coconut oil.
  • YeahMe
    YeahMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump...need this for later :)
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I drink my vanilla protein powder (Vega brand since I am vegan) with ice, a banana and almond milk every.single.day... it is so delicious! Basically, just put anything you want! Be creative. Recipes for success can perhaps depend on the flavor of the powder (i.e. chocolate vs. vanilla) -- so be conscious of that. I would mix a nut butter and almond milk with the chocolate (or just drink it alone because it was so rich) and basically add ANY nut butter or fruit with the vanilla powder, such as banana, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Enjoy!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Add it to some almond milk, peanut butter, banana, baby spinach, and ice= yum!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to make a protein shake is 4 oz 1% milk or skim, 4 oz vanilla almond milk, PB, frozen banana slices, and chocolate protein powder, plus a little crushed ice
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    I usually do chocolate vega with frozen mixed berries, a banana and some almond milk. Half a banana if I want to keep the calories down. Spinach is also a great thing to add, believe it or not. You really don't taste it, and it's an easy way to get one more serving of veg.