Are [women's] vitamins good while dieting/ exercising?

Frelise
Frelise Posts: 80 Member
It's probably a silly question, but I don't know much about these kind of things. I bought some that you're suppose to take one a day, and I just figured I'd ask since several times after I take one a half an hour later I'll feel sick for a while. Do you guys take them? Or is it not really necessary? Perhaps there's a better way? Any advice is appreciated! :)

Replies

• Sometimes your body just does not like taking a multi vitamin. My brother in Law is like that. If he takes any sort, he is sick to his stomach. I don't know if brand matters even, at least for him.

For what it's worth, I take a multi vitamin, just because, helps out with my iron and junk. No advers effects yet.
  • sexy_RN88
    sexy_RN88 Posts: 58 Member
    I take one just to make sure I'm getting the vitamins I need while on a very calorie-restricted diet. I used to take one first thing in the morning with a glass of water, no breakfast, and promptly vomited up the vitamin 20 minutes after taking it. Gotta take it with food. Have half your breakfast, pop in the vitamin, and then finish the other half of your breakfast. I'm not sure why they make people nauseated on an empty stomach, but the problem has completely disappeared for me (and a few others) since taking the vitamin with food.
  • LilGiselle21
    LilGiselle21 Posts: 110 Member
    I have to break the pill in half take half with breakfast and half with lunch if that doesn't help I would try another kind I finally found one that doesn't make me sick and I can now take the whole pill in the am.Message me if you want the name.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    You could try veggie greens powder or just make an effort to get micronutrients from actual food
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    A lot of pills (medicines and vitamins) seem to upset empty stomachs. Unless it calls to be on an empty stomach take pills with food.
  • Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • I find that I do not get near enough iron in my diet so I take a multi-vitamin.
  • You could try veggie greens powder or just make an effort to get micronutrients from actual food

Do you have a brand that you can recommend? I have tried one in the past and had a very hard time drinking it due to the aroma.
  • Ms_Freda
    Ms_Freda Posts: 24 Member
    I take my vitamins at night so my body can absorb them better and not upset my stomach. You could try that and see if it will help.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    You could try veggie greens powder or just make an effort to get micronutrients from actual food

Do you have a brand that you can recommend? I have tried one in the past and had a very hard time drinking it due to the aroma.

The only one I have ever tried is Ultimate Nutrition. It has a light maple flavor.
  • bambier
    bambier Posts: 32
    I can't do the big one-a-days... but I can do the adult gummy ones... I almost think of them as a treat. They do have 15 cals in the ones I take, but they're the womens' vitafusion.
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    A lot of times the iron in the vitamins is what causes the stomach issues. You could try to switch to one that doesn't have iron in it (or a different form or amount) and see if that helps. Then you just need to find a source for iron in your regular foods (lots more options that way!