New weightloss drug approved

Options
http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120717/fda-approves-diet-drug-qsymia

Qsymia, developed by California-based Vivus Inc., combines two already prescribed medications -- the stimulant phentermine and the anti-seizure drug Topamax (topiramate) -- in a controlled-release pill that is taken once a day.

It is approved for use in adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or above, which is considered obese, or a BMI of 27 or greater (overweight) with at least one weight-related condition, such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, or high cholesterol.

Patients in those trials who took Qsymia and made lifestyle changes lost an average of about 10% of their body weight after one year on the drug, compared to a 2% weight loss in people who took placebo pills.

Above is a few quotes from the article. I am a curious about the last one. I wonder what kind of "lifestyle changes" they did. For my height, 5'6", 186 pounds is a BMI of 30. 10% of their body weight after a year is only 18.6 pounds. In a year.
Even at my starting weight 388, 10% would be 38.8 pounds lost in a year. In 10 weeks I have already lost nearly half that, without a wonder drug.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I already read the article and posted to another thread about the subject.

I happen to firmly believe that weight loss drugs are complete BS. The results they showed were insignificant at BEST.
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Weight-loss drugs are BS and mostly dangerous, I would'nt recommend any of them to anyone. I'm a firm believer in doing it the hard, old fashioned way. People these days want instant results and not have to put effort into anything. It's this lazy mentality that has increased the rate of people who are overweight/obese. Promising quick results with no work other than using a glass of water to swallow your pill = $$$ for the makers of the drugs.

And dont get me started on weight-loss surgery. LOL
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I wonder what kind of "lifestyle changes" they did.

Reduced their overall caloric intake and added exercise.

MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I can loose more without the drug and have NO side effects!!
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options
    God, seriously, topamax has SERIOUS side effects. People abusing it for weight loss is going to get it taken off the market for people who REALLY need it for seizures, migraines, and mood disorders.

Both topamax and zonegran are called super model drugs because they make you skinny AND stupid. Topamax also causes tremors, dizziness, and numbness in your extremities.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Not true. Since I changed my lifestyle to eating better and exercising I experienced the following side effects: more energy, more libido, more strenth, pants fit better, better self image, better attitude, more active, more attractive, etc......

The side effects of my new lifestyle are so excellent I would prescribe them to anyone. :D
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Want to know the best weight loss drug?

Not putting toxic chemicals and inorganic compounds into a body that doesn't know what to do with them.

http://www.icallthisliving.com/
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    God, seriously, topamax has SERIOUS side effects. People abusing it for weight loss is going to get it taken off the market for people who REALLY need it for seizures, migraines, and mood disorders.

Both topamax and zonegran are called super model drugs because they make you skinny AND stupid. Topamax also causes tremors, dizziness, and numbness in your extremities.

In the past, my daughter took Topamax for a mood disorder. Fortunately, she didn't have any of the bad side effects. she also didn't have any of the weight loss side effects either.
  • seamonkey789
    seamonkey789 Posts: 233
    Options

In the past, my daughter took Topamax for a mood disorder. Fortunately, she didn't have any of the bad side effects. she also didn't have any of the weight loss side effects either.

I was on topamax for mood disorder too. It kept me awake all night and made me dumber than a bag of rocks and I forgot everything 10 minutes after I did it. They call it dopamax amongst the mentally interesting because its famous for making you stupid.
  • ChassityDawn
    Options
    I just started taking topamax for miagraines but would love a stimulant with it I am always exhausted.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Not true. Since I changed my lifestyle to eating better and exercising I experienced the following side effects: more energy, more libido, more strenth, pants fit better, better self image, better attitude, more active, more attractive, etc......

The side effects of my new lifestyle are so excellent I would prescribe them to anyone. :D

I like this post! :smile:
  • hardymommy123
    hardymommy123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion....if someone needs a drug to lose weight, then they are NOT ready to commit to losing weight. This isn't a quick fix and you can't expect immediate results. Lord knows I have tried them all. Weight loss is a sloooooow, process if done right. And when done right, changing the way you eat, and exercising....you don't need a pill or a drink or a special blend of this food or that food and cut out this food group, blah blah blah.

Don't buy into that crap. Buy into healthy eating and healthy lifestyle.
  • hardymommy123
    hardymommy123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I like this post! :smile:

ME TOO!!! LOVE IT!!!
  • Jesse_Hunter
    Jesse_Hunter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    In my personal opinion....if someone needs a drug to lose weight, then they are NOT ready to commit to losing weight. This isn't a quick fix and you can't expect immediate results. Lord knows I have tried them all. Weight loss is a sloooooow, process if done right. And when done right, changing the way you eat, and exercising....you don't need a pill or a drink or a special blend of this food or that food and cut out this food group, blah blah blah.

Don't buy into that crap. Buy into healthy eating and healthy lifestyle.

Amen.