WHAT DO U EAT TO GIVE YOU ENERGY FOR YOUR WORKOUTS?

Options

Replies

• FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat 50-75 gm of complex carbs (Low GI) like oats, wheat, for breakfast, I eat 10-25 grams before/during working out with weights. usually candies, and about 10-50 gms after working out. Total 125-175 grams a day.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Usually a banana pre workout.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Carbs at least an hour plus before (usually a healthy cereal or oatmeal with banana) and protein of some kind (bar, shake, eggs) immediately after.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Carbs and coffee. I usually have an English muffin, peanut butter and a banana.

I eat the exact same thing! :) Super good and gives me energy.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a workout unless it's going to last 2+ hours. I get more blood flow to the muscles and my body seems to respond better. Doesn't matter if I'm running or lifting a fasted workout feels better to me.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Dense wheat cinnamon/raisin/cranberry/walnut bagel bar with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. It's the only thing that will stick long enough that I'm not starving but also won't cause side stitches for me.
  • browmarg
    browmarg Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm doing a biggest loser class and our nutritionist told us to eat simple carbs before exercising. He suggested a jelly sandwich, peanut butter sandwich, banana, fig newtons, and/or things like that, because they break down easily and quickly to give you the energy you need. He suggested eating these about an hour or two before working out for over forty minutes of intense cardio or weight lifting. You shouldn't not eat before like raiderrodney suggests because your blood sugar will be low and your performance will suffer. Focus on eating simple carbs that don't have excessive protein or fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think we need to start a banana club :)
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Clif bars help me a lot, but I guess bananas would be cheaper
  • tea_and_tofu
    Options
    bananas
    cashews
    energy bars
    protein shakes
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    I literally don't eat anything. My workouts aren't too streneous I guess. I run at 5mph for about 40-50 minutes, but drink A LOT of water few minutes back and during the workout too. I heard it's best to go before eating anything but than again if you're lifting weights and doing a lot more it's understandable why you would eat!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    When I trained in college for the rowing team (crew) we worked out first thing in the morning. We actually ate nothing beforehand, because the workouts were so strenuous, food would not stay down! However if you train later in the day, I suppose a protein drink containing some carbs 30min before the workout would probably be a good idea.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I eat a meal 2 hours before my workout, including some solid complex carbs.
    And 30 minutes before I start, I'll eat some fruit.
    Half way into it, I drink pure fruit juice.

And 30 minutes after, I eat another meal to fuel recovery.
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I usually have a scoop of build N.O. by bodybuilding .com, but the raw ravage from GNC is better stuff it just cost a lot more. These are both nitric Oxide supplements, so most of them will do the same thing.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I EAT ALL THE CAPITOL LETTERS.....

...IN MY ALPHABET SOUP
  • Diamond_angel14
    Options
    i've once read that 2 bananas can give u enough energy to workout for 90 minutes :)
  • Tysonhi98
    Tysonhi98 Posts: 21
    Options
    Plenty of carbs the night Before, 2 litres of water two hours before the workout, and a litre for after the workout :)
  • miss_jiggz
    Options
    I usually try to make a green smoothie before my workout so I can have 1/2 a glass before and then have about one glass following my workout.

my recipe varies, but usually somewhere along the lines of:
    2 cups fruits you like, 1.5 cups water, avacado and 1.5 cups of kale or spinich.

this recipe yields about 5 cups of smoothie. it's great! give you energy, detoxes and increases your fruit and veggie intake for the day!!
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I EAT ALL THE CAPITOL LETTERS.....

...IN MY ALPHABET SOUP

:laugh:
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    low GI carbs

i eat the same preworkout meal every gym day. all meals pre meals are eaten 1.5-2 hours before the gym

-2 scoops whey in water
    -1 cup of oats
    -1 fiber bar

but it used to be:
    -2 scoops whey in 2 cups of 1% milk
    -2 servings of cheerios

be careful with the milk tho, it makes some people nauseous