Help me!!

So I just started COMMITTING to healthy eating and daily workouts this week. I made the mistake of getting on the scale Monday. Then I got on again Tuesday. And yesterday. I know, I know. It was wrong. But I had a really good first day and two great workouts so I figured it couldn't hurt. According to the first weigh I'd lost around 13 pounds. In my mind I knew it was impossible for that to happen so my logic was to weigh again the next day to see if it was back to normal. But then the scale was telling me I'd lost 15 pounds. So of course I had to get on again Wednesday. It remained constant.

Then came Thursday. Back to my normal weight. I'm devastated. Is there any possibility that I've lost anything at all? Because now my REAL weigh in is tomorrow and I'd hate to have a net loss of zero. Or at worst, a gain.

Replies

• Tysonhi98
    Tysonhi98 Posts: 21
    you probably will have lost weight :), but don't worry it takes patience and consistency to see results, you will do great :)
  • rockchalk956
    rockchalk956 Posts: 94 Member
    Were you getting on the scale the same time every day? Has the scale been in the same location? This is crucial to getting accurate readings. I always make sure the scale is basically in the middle of the bathroom and on the flattest surface possible. I know weighing in every day can be addictive, but try to start limiting yourself to at least every other day, then a few times a week, then once a week, etc. :)
  • ssnuckols
    ssnuckols Posts: 1
    Are you using a digital scale ? battery ??? MY scale goes weird when the battery is going low......change the battery and put fresh fully charged ones in and this may make your weigh in more consistent.......keep up the healthy new lifestyle and you will definitely be pleased !!!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    This is hard to hear but remember you didn't gain it in one week and you won't lose in one week. Sometimes there are no loses in 1, 2 or more weeks then you will have a big lose. Don't worry and don't let it make you lose motivation. This is not an easy journey but the end result will make you so much happier and healthier if you stick with it.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    The scale can be such a tricky friend to have. I wouldn't worry, if it is digital like ssnuckols says it is most likely the battery, my sister had that problem with hers too. I weight myself 3 times a week cause I am bad LOL. I weigh in on monday to make sure I was good over the weekend. Then on wed to keep myself on track and then on friday. When the scale is not being nice take your measurements that is a good motivation tool as well as sometimes the scale won't move at all but the measuring tape will show you your results. good luck :)
  • I would say check you scale.
  • hardymommy123
    hardymommy123 Posts: 32 Member
    I have the terrible habit of weighing in everyday. It can be sooooo frustrating. It is bad bad bad!!! But, I know how you feel...just so tempting to get on it everyday. Maybe it was water weight? I agree that you should weigh same time of day (morning is best before you eat or drink anything).

Most important thing.....if you must weigh everyday - I do and I won't stop........don't let it get you down....don't get too excited or upset based on the weight. THE ONLY WEIGHT THAT REALLY MATTERS IS THE WEIGHT YOU ARE ON YOUR OFFICIAL WEIGH IN DAY.

I am sure you will be down some if you are keeping up the good work. And seriously, if you don't weigh everyday, you will probably be happier:-) Easier said than done, I know. Good luck!!! I will add you....maybe we can motivate each other to stop relying on that darn scale:-)
  • rkj89
    rkj89 Posts: 4
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! As far as the scale, I weigh at the same time each day, in the same location, and the scale is fairly new. But I'll definitely check out the batteries. I felt bloated yesterday & I still do today and there's no change on the scale. I want to point out that I don't expect to lose loads of weight in a week I as just disappointed by the major discrepancies.

I'm going to try to go back to weighing only once a week.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Are you using a digital scale ? battery ??? MY scale goes weird when the battery is going low......change the battery and put fresh fully charged ones in and this may make your weigh in more consistent.......keep up the healthy new lifestyle and you will definitely be pleased !!!!

Mine does the same thing! Good advice!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    dont' panic, keep going! the scale sometimes does strange things, the longer you're doing the weight-loss things the bertter you'll learn to know your body and your scale.

me, I'm very unhappy right now, not because my scale hasn't moved AT ALL this week but because I know exactly why: haven't had a proper bowel movement yet this week and I'm drinking water like crazy, I have enough fiber in my food, I'm doing everything right... still nothing. If this keeps up I may have to medicate :(
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Weight loss is not linear and your weight will fluctuate on the scale day by day, whether you're losing, gaining or maintaining. It will fluctuate throughout the day too depending on how hydrated you are, what your digestive system is up to, whether you are retaining water due to increased sodium intake, retaining water due to increased exercise intensity, hormonal fluctuations etc. (Some women aren't aware but you can retain a lot of water before your period). So, try not to stress over the scale. Weighing every day is fine (I do it!), but if it discourages you to see those fluctuations, then maybe it's best to make it a weekly or even monthly weigh-in. When you do weigh yourself, make sure it's at the same time of day and wearing similar clothes (or nothing) to make it as consistent as possible.

You've just started to change your lifestyle. If this is going to work, it needs to be a longterm, even permanent thing. Like others have said, it didn't go on overnight, so it won't come off that quickly either. (I know you're not saying it will, but just try to remind yourself. :smile: ) Give yourself a pat on the back for making this commitment and just keep going! If you stick with it, you will see changes.

Having said all of that, I personally haven't seen such a massive fluctuation from one day to the next. It is quite possible that your scales are faulty or the battery needs replacing. Make sure the scale is on a flat surface, too.

In the meantime, make sure you take measurements of your body and take photos of yourself. Those changes will probably happen more slowly than the scale changes, but at least you can trust them more!
  • rkj89
    dont' panic, keep going! the scale sometimes does strange things, the longer you're doing the weight-loss things the bertter you'll learn to know your body and your scale.

me, I'm very unhappy right now, not because my scale hasn't moved AT ALL this week but because I know exactly why: haven't had a proper bowel movement yet this week and I'm drinking water like crazy, I have enough fiber in my food, I'm doing everything right... still nothing. If this keeps up I may have to medicate :(

I've officially weighed in for a loss of 0 today but I sound a lot like you. I've had a bowel movement but definitely not a "proper" on as you've said. At least not since the scale jumped back up. I'm also drinking the correct amounts of water in my life for the first time ever. It's a struggle but I'm quite proud of myself. There were times I couldn't drink 64 oz of ANYTHING in the course of one day. :) I just hope you don't have to resort to medication :(
  • rkj89
    Weight loss is not linear and your weight will fluctuate on the scale day by day, whether you're losing, gaining or maintaining. It will fluctuate throughout the day too depending on how hydrated you are, what your digestive system is up to, whether you are retaining water due to increased sodium intake, retaining water due to increased exercise intensity, hormonal fluctuations etc. (Some women aren't aware but you can retain a lot of water before your period). So, try not to stress over the scale. Weighing every day is fine (I do it!), but if it discourages you to see those fluctuations, then maybe it's best to make it a weekly or even monthly weigh-in. When you do weigh yourself, make sure it's at the same time of day and wearing similar clothes (or nothing) to make it as consistent as possible.

You've just started to change your lifestyle. If this is going to work, it needs to be a longterm, even permanent thing. Like others have said, it didn't go on overnight, so it won't come off that quickly either. (I know you're not saying it will, but just try to remind yourself. :smile: ) Give yourself a pat on the back for making this commitment and just keep going! If you stick with it, you will see changes.

Having said all of that, I personally haven't seen such a massive fluctuation from one day to the next. It is quite possible that your scales are faulty or the battery needs replacing. Make sure the scale is on a flat surface, too.

In the meantime, make sure you take measurements of your body and take photos of yourself. Those changes will probably happen more slowly than the scale changes, but at least you can trust them more!

Very encouraging words. Thank you! I'm definitely going to try harder to limit how often I weigh in because I was discouraged to the point that I almost didn't even work out this morning. But I did overcome :). I wouldn't think my battery would need changing so soon but since so many people are suggesting it I guess I'll have to look into it. I'll try to start a picture diary of myself as well because I really think I may be gaining muscle which I know can contribute to losing fewer pounds too. Even though I'm pretty much all cardio, one of my workouts is Biggest Loser Cardio Max and Bob incorporates weights into his workout.