How fast do you walk on the treadmill?

Options
How fast do you set your treadmill to walk?

Replies

• My_Own_Hero
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill at a 3.5 mph pace, and I set the incline to 10%. I really feel it working my butt when I do that haha.
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    4.0 mph, 10% incline, for 45 minutes
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I walk slightly slower that you guys on the treadmill, usually 3.3 - 3.4 at a 4% incline for 30 minutes.
  • PanaMericann
    PanaMericann Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    4.0 MPH at a 2.5 incline for 30 minutes- an hour.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    3.5 mph, 9% incline. The time? Anywhere from 5 minutes to 40 minutes. If I feel I just can't get motivated to do it, I still put my shoes on and start walking. If I still feel that way after 5, I stop. More than likely, I'll keep going. But that attitude does get me on there :)

A month ago, when I started, I was at 3 mph with a 3.5% incline. I am feeling stronger!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I start at 3.5 miles per hour and go up and down from that speed doing interval work. Fastest speed 5.9 MPH for short spurts, normally a minute at a time.
    I also change the incline up and down throughout the 30 minutes, going from 1.5 to 7.0%.
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    4.0 mph with a 15 incline for 30 minutes, then 15 minutes 3.5 mph with no incline
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Usually I work my way up to 3.5 after about 5-10 mins (depending how i'm feeling that day). do that for 15-20 mins, then spend another 5 slowing myself back down. If I'm feelin real rough then I may do the 3.5 shorter amt of time and do 3-3.3 instead.
  • Meggeler
    Meggeler Posts: 42
    Options
    3.0 - 3.2 my objective is to keep moving. Not to die on a damn treadmill :smile:
  • meowchii
    meowchii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 20 minute program that emulates climbing a hill. It intervals from 2.5-3.5 and take the incline from 1% and slowly increases to 10%. When I walk without the program I like to steady at 3.5.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was walking at about 2.2 - 2.5 and getting searing pain in the sides of my calves. I changed to Asics shoes and I can do about 2 miles at 3.0, with intermittent 5.0 jogs.
  • AmberLeighD
    AmberLeighD Posts: 112
    Options
    I walk 3.2 .. at 7 incline for 20-45 min.
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    4.0mph to 4.5mph between sprints. If I'm tired, 3.0mph
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    4.7 - 5.0 mph, 8% incline for 30 - 60 min
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    I am currently 5'10" and 340-ish so my numbers are 4.0% at 3.4 mph. that gets my heart rate up to around 148-150 which is about the upper range of 85% of my total heart rate.

I think the key is heart rate. Obviously a guy my size isn't going to go nuts at 15% incline and a 7 minute mile. I think that you should tweak it until you are working at 75-85% of your max heart rate.

As you work out more, your heart rate will decreae if you don't make the workout harder - so you can retune the machine to do what your body can handle.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    4.7 - 5.0 mph, 8% incline for 30 - 60 min

Wow you walk on that? That's like my running speed. Way to go!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I start at 3.5 miles per hour and go up and down from that speed doing interval work. Fastest speed 5.9 MPH for short spurts, normally a minute at a time.
    I also change the incline up and down throughout the 30 minutes, going from 1.5 to 7.0%.

I do this, more or less. Minimum 3.5, throw in some running for VERY short spurts, toss in come incline here and there and crank it to 4.0 for a while -- whatever it takes to keep it from putting me to sleep!
  • candice382
    candice382 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    3.0 - 3.2 my objective is to keep moving. Not to die on a damn treadmill :smile:
    . Thanks. I don't have incline on my treadmill but I have been trying to work on my speed. I started out at 2.5 for 60 min. Now I toggle between 2.5 and 3 every 5 min. I am trying to set a goal.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I normally don't go below 5.0 (or above 8.5) on the treadmill. But if I am having pain or need 30 seconds to catch my breath I'll bring it down to 3.5. I guess sometimes I've pushed myself too far and started having asthmatic symtoms and had to slow all the way down to 2.0 but that is just insanely slow it's almost like being stopped for me.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    2.6 to 3.0 at a 7 or 8 incline for 20 to 60 minutes depending on how I feel. Much above that I start to get winded quickly.

BTW: you folks are some fast walkers. I'd have to run to keep up with some of you.